Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wouldn't you love to be retired, or be able to WFH these days. Sigh.

To Wfh for a prolonged period would be an absolute pain tbh. Much prefer getting out and about and actually going into the office gives purpose. The lack of social side when wfh can become quiet isolating.

It's grand for one day a week but if you do it for a week straight it becomes fairly tedious quickly. Plus many company's untested networks/conferencing systems may feel the strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It originally started out as a sinus infection but I don't know what the hell it turned into, my Doc reckoned it was some sort of virus, so I just rode it out after that

If he gave you 3 rounds of antibiotics for a virus then I'd suggest you get another doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

gabeeg wrote: »

Thank you - that’s the one

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They’re talking about erecting a special quarantine unit.

And ensuring all necessary resources flow to the affected area for as long as it takes to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Good to see.

I’ll explain. What happened was that I was thinking of the 10 to 20% (roughly, I’m sure you can quibble an exact percentage and prove my rough figure is wrong) infection rate of swine flu vs the WHO estimate that 40 to 70% of the worlds population ( an ESTIMATE derived from a model using various assumptions not all of which may or will be proven correct but which I do not believe was created in good faith).

When the lower and upper bounds 10 vs 40 and 20 vs 70 are compared I really don’t think that these two viral outbreaks are going to have comparable effects ( if the WHO estimate and assumptions are correct). It was in that context that I said that wasn’t a pandemic and what I should have said is it isn’t a comparable pandemic. My bad.

I was working through swine flu and I was never as concerned about it as I am about Covid19. You are welcome to hold different opinions and I respect that.

With that said I really do expect this to be significantly worse than swine flu. I respect your right to differ but the personal commentary about me is, I feel, unnecessary.

I was suggesting that you more than likely are a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Why do people think there are cases not being announced yet ? I don’t see why they would do that

Because:

A - They don't know how to handle this.

B - They don't have the resources to handle this.

C - This could compromise or collapse the health service.

D - They want St Patricks Day to go ahead.

E - They are not doing enough testing so that they can say we have less cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wouldn't you love to be retired, or be able to WFH these days. Sigh.

A retired person might argue they wished they were younger and not of an age where getting infected bore with it a much higher chance of a serious outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I was talking to another guy tonight and he said the same, me and him had some fcuked up type of flu, it lasted about 3 months for me and 3 rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, I went through various different stages from phlegm, muscle, aches, back pain, feeling weak and headaches. I only managed to shake it about 2 weeks ago... I've never had anything even close to it
    I had something similar at the end of January/start of February. I had a heavy cold, a cough (but it was a chesty one) and difficulty breathing properly. But felt generally pretty bad. I’m in good health so it was unusual. I’ve never had something like it. The cold lasted more than a week and the breathing issues lasted maybe 3/4 days. I probably should have gone to the docs in reality and was about to, but then it cleared overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I said quarantine centre should be established. That is a common sense approach. Not stupid. The system is being put at risk otherwise.

And who would run this quarantine centre? The same health service you don't want to put pressure on already, by asking them to set up a separate section? Or just put people in there and lock the door?

Or, you could follow what the HSE already tell you what to do in the first place, and stop the panic mode on here.
    Anyone with symptoms of coronavirus who has been in close contact with a confirmed case in the last 14 days should:
    • isolate themselves from other people - this means going into a different, well-ventilated room alone, with a phone
    • phone their GP, or emergency department - if this is not possible, phone 112 or 999
    • in a medical emergency (if you have severe symptoms) phone 112 or 999

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Andrew00 wrote: »
    All I wanna say is

F*ck you Italy, f*ck you.

And China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Strazdas wrote: »
    You cannot use antibiotics to treat colds or flu (or corona) : they are viruses and antibiotics are anti-bacterial.

People are given antibiotics when they develop a bacterial infection as a result of a flu...sometimes a patient will develop bacterial infection whilst being ill from a virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If he gave you 3 rounds of antibiotics for a virus then I'd suggest you get another doctor.

This was after the 3 rounds of antibiotics for what we still thought was a sinus infection, the symptoms changed from week to week

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Why do people think there are cases not being announced yet ? I don’t see why they would do that

Local information is getting out into the public domain faster than the official confirmation process. e.g. there is allegedly a second case in CUH which is most likely a) connected to the first case and b) has the right set of symptoms. It wont be a confirmed Irish case until the swabs have been tested and confirmed by the national virus reference lab in UCD and run through whatever process the HSE has.

Investigation of possible contacts for each case starts once the lab has confirmed a positive case. Reporting in the media is currently done once a day. If a positive result is identified after the briefing for the day it won't be reported until the following day unless there is a pressing public health need to communicate it sooner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So you are saying that this COVID-19 is comparable to the black plague which killed 30-60% of Europe's population at the time?

I'm saying that they're both highly contagious diseases that couldn't be controlled because of a lack of effective medication. Back then there weren't that many ICU beds either, but I stand to be corrected. There are way more people around, these days, this is only new, and we don't know what the final outcome will be (with or without the various health authorities around the world "doctoring" the number of deaths so as not to spread panic or for whatever other reason). History will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I had something similar at the end of January/start of February. I had a cold but difficulty breathing properly. I’m in good health so it was unusual. I’ve never had something like it. The cold lasted more than a week and the breathing issues lasted maybe 3/4 days. I probably should have gone to the docs in reality and was about to and then it cleared overnight.

i have said this in this thread multiple times, i think a variant was here for months...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had something similar at the end of January/start of February. I had a heavy cold, a cough (but it was a chesty one) and difficulty breathing properly. But felt generally pretty bad. I’m in good health so it was unusual. I’ve never had something like it. The cold lasted more than a week and the breathing issues lasted maybe 3/4 days. I probably should have gone to the docs in reality and was about to and then it cleared overnight.

That's the evil dose I also had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

And China

It’s not the Chinese, it’s the Italians he’s after..

Main medications that have shown evidence of efficacy against COVID-19 are chloroquine, oseltamivir and remdesivir.

Realistically, the only one to to have shown robust effectiveness against COVID-19 is remdesivir. The issue with it at the moment is that it's only available on a compassionate use basis. So you need to be confirmed with COVID-19 before the company will release the medication.

Yeah but freeing that up will only require the HSE GP change their protocol to allow definite diagnosis based on the presentation (syndromes level of proof) vs actual patholognomonic findings.

You’d better believe that’ll happen quickly enough if cases spike so that we can meet the compassionate grounds the company sets to avoid being sued.

No, I can’t quote anyone a paper on this but this is how organisations work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People are given antibiotics when they develop a bacterial infection as a result of a flu...sometimes a patient will develop bacterial infection whilst being ill from a virus

Yes, that's true : if it was to spark off a chest infection for example.

The antibiotics would have zero effect on the actual flu though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Give it a f*cking rest. ODB already has to take all precautions necessary to protect herself from any number of risks due to her situation. So regardless of how she feels about the level of danger Covid-19 poses, she's not someone who's going to cause spread through complacency. She's also a very much liked and respected poster around here and I suspect people may start to close ranks. So if you want to keep posting here I think you should probably back off. I know I for one have reported you already.

You can't tell people how to feel. So just speak for yourself yeah?

I appreciate the support. :) I will be the first to admit that I’m a scut though. :pac: I’m no bleedin’ angle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Crazy Idea now, but should we consider a traffic system for regional outbreaks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

i have said this in this thread multiple times, i think a variant was here for months...

Remember this years Flu thread in AH? There was some fairly strange cases..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

No welfare and ludicrously high medical bills mean people will go to work and avoid going to a doctor/hospital at all costs.

I predict a complete and utter shambles in the USA. It will be interesting to compare their results to what China achieved.

The guy Trump put in charge of their response to the epidemic has said :-
    "Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill."

"condoms are a very, very poor protection against sexually transmitted disease."

"I also believe that someday scientists will come to see that only the theory of intelligent design provides even a remotely rationale explanation for the known universe."

"Global warming is a myth. "the earth is actually cooler today than it was about 50 years ago."

"America has the cleanest air and water in the world."

The solution to the HIV epidemic: "Pray on it"

Mike Pence PhD (not)

A scientific response to this Covid-19 problem ? Doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why do people think there are cases not being announced yet ?
    Any confirmed cases are being announced. Of course they are. Just doesn’t fit in with some of the tin foil hat agendas on here.

they have to be confirmed first, and then we have to wait for the press conference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

USA ARMY PREPARING FOR 3 MILLION DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Numbers seems a bit extreme to me , but this is worse case for the USA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Crazy Idea now, but should we consider a traffic system for regional outbreaks?

Traffic like system.

Red
    Orange
    Green

For towns and cities?

Some hotpots, may have to go lockdown.

Fermoy , for instance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

tillyfilly wrote: »

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Infowars?! Really?!

So you are saying that this COVID-19 is comparable to the black plague which killed 30-60% of Europe's population at the time?

Agree that this pandemic isn’t equivalent to the Black Death. Even the reasonable worst case scenarios don’t imply the societal change that the Black Death caused - it completely altered the balance between labourers and aristocracy throughout much of Europe and caused huge shifts in societal power dynamics.

I’m less aware of societal impacts elsewhere and so won’t comment on them except to say I’m certain they existed.

Trinity opening as normal tomorrow. The building where the infected person was is going to get partially cleaned.

Hmmm, and all the other students and staff he/she may have been potentially in contact with, what building(s) are they in normally? To quote the line from Aliens: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tillyfilly wrote: »

You can always count on Alex Jones for the truth! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement