Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Good to see that you are prepared. My treatment has focked up my respiratory system and I have heard that Covid 19 can scar my lungs which is a worry.

My sense of humour is still intact and tomorrow afternoon I am cohosting a radio show broadcast from America. The show's theme is Covid 19 and all the songs will relate to the panic I see on Social Media, certain posts on here and certain tabloid newspapers.

That sounds great! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It’s not the Chinese, it’s the Italians he’s after..

I own the copyright on this joke and everyone keeps repeating it

Payment is due :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

We'll look back in fondness in the months and years to come at this thread and think what the fcuk all the fuss was about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Why do people think there are cases not being announced yet ? I don’t see why they would do that

Countries and governments are sort of just finding their feet on this. Regardless of what anybody here thinks of the HSE or the government, not one of them has ever faced this kind of crisis in the lives. We’ve spent nothing on this sort of situation over decades (most countries haven’t) so our authority’s and many others are current on the Backfoot.

Look at USA, supposedly one of the most prepared to deal with this, fumbling around and making a dogs bollox of it. They even made a massive balls of flying people home mixing infected and uninflected.

I get that people are angry, I’ve been giving out lots for awhile. But at a certain point we are going to have to weigh in behind the authority’s. While nobody is complaining about the front line staff, they may feel some of the sting when people say stuff like “the HSE is a joke”. These are now the people we will be turning to take care of us and our loved ones.

The time for anger and recriminations will be after this has passed. The time now is to dig in and take care of one another by making sure we all do our part to slow down the spread and make sure our side of the street is properly managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

I was suggesting that you more than likely are a doctor.

I know, I was just trying to explain my thinking at the time - not to you per se but the others. Fruitless I’m sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,393 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

spookwoman wrote: »
    2nd part of trinity email
    bSLu7zrl.jpg

Just floor 4

What a joke. Anywhere else and it would be shut down totally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

tillyfilly wrote: »
    USA ARMY PREPARING FOR 3 MILLION DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Numbers seems a bit extreme to me , but this is worse case for the USA

I've seen these numbers bandied about for various countries but it assumes an absolute worst case scenario of half the population getting the virus (extremely unlikely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,393 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We'll look back in fondness in the months and years to come at this thread and think what the fcuk all the fuss was about

If you survive that is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Christ - go for a shower and another 10 pages have gone by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I too am wondering has this virus been around since Christmas. I know people who had the flu jab and yet still got very sick a few weeks back..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I own the copyright on this joke and everyone keeps repeating it

Payment is due :mad:

You're Graham Linehan?
    You should go back to fighting the trans community on twitter, it's a more pressing matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,945 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've seen these numbers bandied about for various countries but it assumes an absolute worst case scenario of half the population getting the virus (extremely unlikely).

Its INFOWARS ffs!

Maybe Elvis can come back to help them out sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Figures of new cases today in some other smaller European countries. Ireland is a bit behind but headed the same way.

Sweden: 42 new cases
    Norway: 32 new cases
    Greece: 22 new cases
    Netherlands: 44 new cases
    Austria: 14 new cases
    Iceland: 9 new cases
    Switzerland: 25 new cases
    Ireland: 7 new cases
    Belgium: 27 new cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Crazy they arent shutting trinners. Mad stuff. Id advise all to stay away.

Just floor 4

What a joke. Anywhere else and it would be shut down totally

17,000 students on campus : it's not the same as shutting down a secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

Are there any figure or facts in relation to the virus and smokers, for example would smoking kill the virus? We always here people who smoke are less susceptible to colds/flus. I know when I smoked I never ever got colds or flus but since I’ve given them up 13 years ago I get one or two colds every year and had flu earlier this year that knocked me out for near 3 weeks.

I’m not going to start smoking again, even if it were proven to prevent C19 but just wondered?

Considering they think a lot of the people who died in China were smokers I don't think taking it up now would be a great preventative measure

17,000 students on campus : it's not the same as shutting down a secondary school.

Surely given the potential expsure based on the numbers its all the more reason to shut it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

That sounds great! :)

If you want to tune in let me know and I will post the radio station details on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I hope this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I too am wondering has this virus been around since Christmas. I know people who had the flu jab and yet still got very sick a few weeks back..

The evidence would suggest not. The simple question would be why it’s taken so long to kick off in Ireland? If it’s been around since Christmas we should be worse then Wuhan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

My granny turns 101 in 23 days. We have a little 'party' organised. (Like 10 people!!) Suspect it won't be happening now. Shame not to mark such a big day. Don't care about the get together aspect, but I imagine the nursing home will have to close their doors before then (as they do for the flu) and we won't even see her.

Celebrate early with small number of you to mark the occasion :)
    Hope the Nursing homes closes doors sooner rather than later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If you want to tune in let me know and I will post the radio station details on here.

Do! Thank you.

Drumpot wrote: »
    The evidence would suggest not. The simple question would be why it’s taken so long to kick off in Ireland? If it’s been around since Christmas we should be worse then Wuhan.

Who goes to the docs for a cough or a cold like illness though? Bugs do the rounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Crazy Idea now, but should we consider a traffic system for regional outbreaks?

If you have corona you could use the bus lanes.
    Drive on the wrong side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Yes, that's true : if it was to spark off a chest infection for example.

The antibiotics would have zero effect on the actual flu though.

Yes, the antibiotics are given only for bacterial which can be consequence of getting a flu. I’m not a medical professional but that is my understanding of why someone would get antibiotics

Surely given the potential expsure based on the numbers its all the more reason to shut it down.

They have to measure the risk. Disrupting 17,000 students (at a very busy time in their calendar) because there is a tiny risk of infection doesn't make much sense. People have to lives to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

tillyfilly wrote: »
    USA ARMY PREPARING FOR 3 MILLION DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Numbers seems a bit extreme to me , but this is worse case for the USA

Infowars, was the weekly workd news site down?

laurah591 wrote: »
    Celebrate early with small number of you to mark the occasion :)
    Hope the Nursing homes closes doors sooner rather than later

Yeah we'll see what happens. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just hate to think of her in lockdown, with no family on her big day. But it's a small thing really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I had someone coughing near me about a month ago and I never caught anything. Could there be a longer incubation period of 20+ days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trump is blaming Obama for his own administration's lack of preparedness :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement