Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

New Home wrote: »
    I'm saying that they're both highly contagious diseases that couldn't be controlled because effective medication. Back then there weren't that many ICU beds either, but I stand to be corrected. There are way more people around, these days, this is only new, and we don't know what the final outcome will be (with or without the various health authorities around the world "doctoring" the number of deaths so as not to spread panic or for whatever other reason). History will tell.

First of all, COVID-19 is caused by a virus, the black plague was caused by bacteria.

Secondly, COVID-19 is spread by aerosol transmission and contact. The black plague was fed by ticks who bit hosts.

Thirdly, the black plague can be septicaemic as well as pneumonic, no evidence that there is a septicaemic aspect to COVID-19.

They aren't comparable. The only thing I would agree with you is that there wasn't ICUs in the 1300s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What are the symptoms of the kung flu ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Drumpot wrote: »
    The evidence would suggest not. The simple question would be why it’s taken so long to kick off in Ireland? If it’s been around since Christmas we should be worse then Wuhan.

If nobody was ever tested, we would just assume it's that cold/flu. If we could go back on time and test it, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

Surely given the potential expsure based on the numbers its all the more reason to shut it down.

I work nearby, get the Luas with plenty of students , buy coffee in the same cafes and lunches too ... I know I'm over reacting but it does worry me, trinity is so central in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable website which displays live numbers for prevalence, recovery, death, etc.?

I recall one was posted in thread #2, but I didn’t make note of it at the time...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk
    Both v good resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Who goes to the docs for a cough or a cold like illness though? Bugs do the rounds.
    antodeco wrote: »
    If nobody was ever tested, we would just assume it's that cold/flu. If we could go back on time and test it, who knows.

There would of been a massive upswing in cases and deaths which would be a massive red flag. At this stage they would be able to join the dots on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I know, I was just trying to explain my thinking at the time - not to you per se but the others. Fruitless I’m sure.

What should we be doing at this stage in your opinion? Should there be travel restrictions at least or does that matter ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Stocked up on about 3 months of pastas, Rice, saices etc. Also a bit of frozen stuffs and bread mixes. I really dont like how this could go. If you need to self isolate you will need supplies.

I would just go to the shop. Let's call a spade a spade. If I need bread I'm going to go buy some .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We will be approaching the point soon, where the daily numbers become meaningless.

Just be sensible and follow the recommended advice.

This is not the plague people, just be careful on how you go about your day.

I would much prefer plague. Plague is containable, and can be potentially treated with antibiotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Do! Thank you.

If you have the tunein app or myTuner app on your phone, lookup WXVU Villanova Radio. I am on from 4:30 PM till 6 tomorrow afternoon. The show is TimeBombRadio and our Facebook page is TimeBombRadiowxvu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

tillyfilly wrote: »
    USA ARMY PREPARING FOR 3 MILLION DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Numbers seems a bit extreme to me , but this is worse case for the USA

That guy is a nutcase

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Who goes to the docs for a cough or a cold like illness though? Bugs do the rounds.

Yes but this is so virulent others would have picked it up very easily. Something like this cannot remain unnoticed for over 2 months. We would have had a lot of serious cases and probably deaths by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

tillyfilly wrote: »
    USA ARMY PREPARING FOR 3 MILLION DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Numbers seems a bit extreme to me , but this is worse case for the USA

Infowars really?

Alex Jones gives crap a bad name.

MW-HE804_jones_ZH_20190228114629.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Just floor 4

What a joke. Anywhere else and it would be shut down totally

In a small world situation...

Floor 4 of tbsi is where Luke O'Neill (who has been quoted many times on this thread) has his lab, so there is a chance that it is one of his staff who has contracted it.

Also, the building has 10 floors and houses hundreds of scientists, and there is only one set of lifts. Lots of equipment is shared and there are many, many places where viruses could survive and thrive.

I used to work in tbsi and I have friends that still do. Interesting times ahead.

I too am wondering has this virus been around since Christmas. I know people who had the flu jab and yet still got very sick a few weeks back..

Had the flu jab last Oct and probably got a milder version of this after Christmas and into New Year. Completely listless for a couple of days and lost appetite as well. Chesty tickly cough went on for around 3 weeks after that. Had a stent put in the ticker in 2015 and am on meds since. History of heart disease in the family so am probably in an 'at risk' group for this bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Infowars really?

He's been spot on about a lot of things in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I would just go to the shop. Let's call a spade a spade. If I need bread I'm going to go buy some .

I get you. But potentially spread the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Infowars really?

He even has Gemma O'Doherty tweets on his website.

He starts to sound more like Greta with every passing day
    Someone broke his window of opportunity and he's not happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would much prefer plague. Plague is containable, and can be potentially treated with antibiotics.

Supposedly WHO said earlier that this is easier to stop spread then the flu.

We don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu — it’s just not possible,” Tedros said. “But it is possible for Covid-19. We don’t do contact-tracing for seasonal flu — but countries should do it for Covid-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

Again, I have doctor John to thank for this information. Also seems like if this does get very bad we may be able to decimate the disease by staying indoors for a month or two, which in a weird way is kind of comforting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

28 new cases in Stockholm, Sweden
    https://www.svd.se/28-nya-fall-av-corona-i-stockholm

31 new cases in Washington, US
    https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

Italy still mass exporting..3 cases in Slovenia, 5 in Georgia, 2 in Estonia all related to travel in Italy

In California, 4 new cases in Los Angeles and 6 more in San Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Before Christmas I had the flu. I have asthma. The doctor gave me tamiflu. The flu symptoms cleared but I started coughing up green goo that didn't clear, so I went back to the doctor and she gave me an antibiotic. That cleared the bacterial infection.

Yes like Hollywood is owned by the Arabs.:D

He is an oxygen thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sandy hook victims families was my favourite one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Not sure but H1N1 wasn't that bad, it likely didn't have a (COVID19) 3.4% fatality rate. Maybe a different type of flu (symptoms and complications not as bad)?

Know a couple of people that had it, much the same as the standard Inf A/B. About 2 weeks out of action, then back to normal.
    I had it, I never want to go through that again, I ended up on my hands and knees in a pool of my own vomit violently dry retching...I thought 'This is it' Never want that or anything even close to it again, I was as weak as a kitten for weeks afterwards.

Supposedly WHO said earlier that this is easier to stop spread then the flu.

We don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu — it’s just not possible,” Tedros said. “But it is possible for Covid-19. We don’t do contact-tracing for seasonal flu — but countries should do it for Covid-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

Again, I have doctor John to thank for this information. Also seems like if this does get very bad we may be able to decimate the disease by staying indoors for a month or two, which in a weird way is kind of comforting.

Maybe, just maybe, if he stopped this passive admiration of China earlier on then the world might have taken more notice
    But no it was all heaping praise on China for what they did meanwhile it was spreading around the world like wildfire

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

First of all, COVID-19 is caused by a virus, the black plague was caused by bacteria.

Secondly, COVID-19 is spread by aerosol transmission and contact. The black plague was fed by ticks who bit hosts.

Thirdly, the black plague can be septicaemic as well as pneumonic, no evidence that there is a septicaemic aspect to COVID-19.

They aren't comparable. The only thing I would agree with you is that there wasn't ICUs in the 1300s.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

This is what China seems to be doing, but it is pulling out all the stops to do that. I really don't see us as having the commitment tbh.

You still have people saying that trying to contain it is a hysterical overreaction. The HSE doesn't seem to particularly care.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    That guy is a nutcase

This guy is well paid the only nutcases are those who believe him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement