Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No mention of plague here. What are you referring to specifically?

Sepsis and septic shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sullivlo wrote: »
    On the same floor as Luke O'Neill lab too. Both very well respected immunologists.

Just listening to him on the David McWilliams podcast. Talking lots of sense.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Mvm8ChYMFaOUZbwyVIPYv?si=2ajaQtcDTAGsw6rVJkyE6A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Mild Asthma and Humira induced immune compromise ...

I’m fcucked.

My answer was a joke by the way.

Even if the worst numbers pan out the vast majority of people will still be here next year even people will all sorts of conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Just listening to him on the David McWilliams podcast. Talking lots of sense.

Amazing man. I used to work with him. Sense of irony if it's one of his students that contracted covid19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I think The Diamond Princess will go into retirement after this trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Well, least the one positive in all of this is if the Eurovision gets cancelled we won’t have to endure that horrific Irish entry on the masses, no vaccine for that sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If you have the tunein app or myTuner app on your phone, lookup WXVU Villanova Radio. I am on from 4:30 PM till 6 tomorrow afternoon. The show is TimeBombRadio and our Facebook page is TimeBombRadiowxvu.
    Cool, always looking for new radio stations, just tuned in and I like it a lot, will try and catch your show, send a join request to your Facebook page...cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

My answer was a joke by the way.

Even if the worst numbers pan out the vast majority of people will still be here next year even people will all sorts of conditions.

Grand. If I die in the meantime I’ll haunt you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, if he stopped this passive admiration of China earlier on then the world might have taken more notice
    But no it was all heaping praise on China for what they did meanwhile it was spreading around the world like wildfire

I think the world is going to have to get over itself and ask China for advice on how to manage this outbreak. Being nice to them will prob help!
    This is what China seems to be doing, but it is pulling out all the stops to do that. I really don't see us as having the commitment tbh.

You still have people saying that trying to contain it is a hysterical overreaction. The HSE doesn't seem to particularly care.

I think it was in that great news conference with Dr Bruce Aylward, where he basically said , no matter how prepared you are for an epidemic, you are not prepared for it. The point being it’s a rapidly changing situation and a crisis management situation that you will have to learn to navigate as the crisis evolves.

I interpret that as panic and mistakes will most likely go hand in hand with what’s coming. The people trying to lead our efforts are probably struggling to come to terms with what’s happening and while that’s less then inspiring right now, it seems to be a part of what happens during these events. I actually take some comfort from that because it shatters the presumption that our authority’s should have this all in hand. What they are going through now is gonna be a sharp, painful learning curve, but I do believe they will rise to the challange.

I think as soon as this gets bad bureaucracy will diminish and the people who know what they are doing and who get things done will rise to the top. I really do think that will happen and I’m usually a cynical , pessimistic person. I sort of took today’s HSE conference earlier as a sign they are starting to take the reigns on this which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Mild Asthma and Humira induced immune compromise ...

I’m fcucked.

Well, it depends why you’re on Humira. I won’t get into what it can be used for as that’s your personal business and not for sharing here unless you wish it to be but several illnesses which Humira can be used for are progressive but not lethal and thus if you are on it for one of those you COULD go in and discuss it with your Consultant and make an informed decision as to whether a drug holiday would be in your best interests - trading some progression for not being on Humira should you get COVID19.

The other alternative is that you could just stay on Humira, be really observant about the advice on hand washing and social distancing and have a low threshold for seeking testing. If you were proven to have COVID19 or strongly suspected you did then you could, following previous discussion with your Consultant consider stopping it for the duration of any infection.

Obviously though you’d have to discuss that with your own Consultant as they are aware of myriad individual issues which could make these options more or less useful. Whatever you do though don’t settle for discussing this with anyone less than a Consultant or Senior Reg. SHOs or interns won’t know enough to give you enough information to have you make an informed decision. This sort of pro vs cons decision is complex and needs people who are experienced.

TLDR: Talk to your Consultant about your options re: Humira.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

nocoverart wrote: »
    Well, least the one positive in all of this is if the Eurovision gets cancelled we won’t have to endure that horrific Irish entry on the masses, no vaccine for that sh1t!

That thing is like what the hell am I watching - think its the worst entry ever, even Dustin was better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Jaysus, whatever about the virus, this thread is going to be the length and breadth of the country before its all done.

Grand. If I die in the meantime I’ll haunt you.

If you are in a high risk group just take sensible precautions.

High risk still means the risk is very low but not as low as a super fit 25 year old body builder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gmisk wrote: »
    Rough populations

Ireland
    4.75m 13 cases
    1 per 365k

UK
    66.5m 116 cases
    1 per 573k

So yeah nothing like 16 times the infection rate even if you want to put the NI cases in with ROI

Yes, my bad, I was distracted by a cat and think i typed exponent 5 instead of 6. Apologies.

nocoverart wrote: »

Yeah but you would lose out on seeing the Icelandic entry which is both amazing and the centre of a conspiracy theory. It is VERY on brand for 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I think The Diamond Princess will go into retirement after this trip.

Why? No virus can live on it without a host.
    It just needs some time off and a rename.

The cruise ship industry will probably take a hit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Government should have announced at least a week ago that anyone returning from northern Italy should be tested before returning to work/school or be here for at least 7 days before doing so.

I’d hate to word at airport or for an airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Cool, always looking for new radio stations, just tuned in and I like it a lot, will try and catch your show, send a join request to your Facebook page...cheers.
    On last weeks show we did a very unique theme, every song we played was called Sign of the times.

tuxy wrote: »
    Why? No virus can live on it without a host.
    It just needs some time off and a rename.

The cruise ship industry will probably take a hit though.

The Toxic Avenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it just a coincidence that the Trinity case was in biomed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

josip wrote: »

oh my god are you thinking what I'm thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

No.

The germ warfare section.

Yes, most likely. There’s being worried about potential estimates from reasonable sources which are on the higher end ( which I am ) and engaging in conspiracies ( which the above post could lead to ).

skimpydoo wrote: »
    On last weeks show we did a very unique theme, every song we played was called Sign of the times.

Do a boards coronavirus thread inspired show and I'll listen in - you know I'm alright jack to It's the end of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gabeeg wrote: »

in-the-documentary-twelve-monkeys-dr-peters-carries-a-virus-58207560.png

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

No Bills wrote: »
    This case in TCD appears to be in a department associated with Professor Kingston Mills (Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute). Professor Mills has been calling for more stringent measures to stem the spread of the virus...
    Was he not on primetime this evening, with Miriam and the Chinese ambassador?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Many bus routes pass through Glasnevin and Drumcondra on the way to the city centre, so it could be the school children passing it along.

Or, here's a mad idea. Just like the doctor in Clare, this person is a scientist so they're among experts and more likely to be taken seriously and tested.

We really need to be briefed on whether this is community transmission.

Or LOCAL transmission, sorry. I'm totally turned around.

Any Italians work there?

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »

Yeah.
    But how do we get the elephant to mate with a goldfish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement