Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Mild Asthma and Humira induced immune compromise ...

I’m fcucked.

We can coordinate a party in heaven. Mild asthma, methotrexate induced immune compromise, under active thyroid.

In all seriousness though, unless you’re crawling to/ from work with a terrible sick leave record, try not to panic. Stock up on food necessities, get some drugs in the cupboard (paracetamol etc), and be ready to self isolate if you need to. I did buy myself a nebuliser just in case but I’m comfident that i will be ok with a bit of extra attention to hygiene. Oh, and I work in a hospital so bugs are everywhere (just admin, nothing useful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

New Home wrote: »
    Sepsis and septic shock.

Septacaemic plague is caused by a gram negative bacteria. This causes disseminated intravascular coagulation which reduces ability of the body to clot which causes haemorrhaging. You can have viral sepsis which is not septacaemia, the septacaemic aspect of the black plague is due to its haemorrhagic properties.

Sepsis is an inflammatory response to infection that can cause organ failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

tuxy wrote: »
    Why? No virus can live on it without a host.
    It just needs some time off and a rename.

The cruise ship industry will probably take a hit though.

The Cruise Ship Formerly Known As (The Diamond) Prince(ss)

Bound to be haunted though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

fritzelly wrote: »
    Any Italians work there?
    In that building? Very likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From Guardian Live Blog

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-update-latest-live-news-symptoms-cases-global-infection-rate-uk-usa-australia-italy-china-updates
    Emmanuel Macron says epidemic is “inevitable” in France

French president Emmanuel Macron has said a coronavirus epidemic is “inevitable” in France.

“There is a moment when we all know that... an epidemic is inevitable,” Macron said.

On Thursday the French health ministry reported three more deaths from the disease, bringing the country’s toll to seven.

The country recorded 138 new virus cases in the biggest daily jump, bringing the total number nationwide to 423.

In a sign of the growing concern over the French figures, the EU parliament announced that the venue for next week’s session would be switched from Strasbourg in eastern France to the Belgian capital Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I feel so sorry for all the cabin crew staff gambling with their health flying in and out of these highly infected countries every single day since it was confirmed in Europe.
    I can only imagine their anxiety levels, having no choice and knowing the plane is a breeding ground for such a contagious illness to spread.
    The risk is even higher for them than the average person. I wouldn’t be able to face going into work every day if I was in that kind of situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Not like the french to give up easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

He's been spot on about a lot of things in the past

Like Sandy Hook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Not like the french to give up easily

w1IlmWyh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looking at the infections in Germany and a LOT of them seem to have be relatively young people <50 until a week ago
    Probably explains why no deaths yet but they've gone from 50 to 400 infections in the past week, time will tell

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Septacaemic plague is caused by a gram negative bacteria. This causes disseminated intravascular coagulation which reduces ability of the body to clot which causes haemorrhaging. You can have viral sepsis the septacaemic aspect of the black plague is due to its haemorrhagic properties.

What's the end result? If you step on a huge landmine and it blows you up into innumerable pieces, or a bomb falls on your head and it explodes and they pick you up with a spoon, are you going to worry as what direction the explosion came from? Both explode, both kill, neither would have hit you had it not been for the war. I still think this is like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tuxy wrote: »
    Why? No virus can live on it without a host.
    It just needs some time off and a rename.

The cruise ship industry will probably take a hit though.

There are 8 new cruise ships due for launch this year. The unemployment and recession headed our way is terrible to contemplate. A year that will go down in the annals as an absolute rotter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

germany-0-deathswxj5q.png

I always said Germans were more machine than man

The low number of severe and fatal cases make me think Germany is 2-3 weeks behind Italy in terms of infection.
    Which is odd, given the viral genome sequences available to date appear to show that many cases in Switzerland and Italy are likely linked to the initial Wuhan-linked outbreak in Starnberg, Bavaria in January.

Elsewhere, most of the the Diamond Princess cases have now passed > 2 weeks since testing positive, and there have not been any additional fatalities for some days now. That gives some hope that this disease may have a lower fatality rate than at first feared.

What's the end result? If you step on a huge landmine and it blows you up into innumerable pieces, or a bomb falls on your head and it explodes and they pick you up with a spoon, are you going to worry as what direction the explosion came from? Both explode, both kill, neither would have hit you had it not been for the war. I still think this is like the plague.

That's deep

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

kenmc wrote: »
    Was he not on primetime this evening, with Miriam and the Chinese ambassador?

I wonder did the narrative re todays cases change given that he was on Prime time tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sullivlo wrote: »
    Before Christmas I had the flu. I have asthma. The doctor gave me tamiflu. The flu symptoms cleared but I started coughing up green goo that didn't clear, so I went back to the doctor and she gave me an antibiotic. That cleared the bacterial infection.

Did you get this years flu shot?

Well septacaemic plague has a near 100% CFR if untreated. COVID-19 is nowhere near that. So the end result is quite different.
    I don't really understand the analogy. What's the war aspect?
    You are perfectly entitled to believe what you like, but factually, that is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Fairly regularly updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I wonder if counties are going to start now using automatic quarantine protocols widespread instead of banning flights from a country. Kind of a technical way to ban flights (who would fly to a foreign country just to spend 2 weeks in quarantine?) without the major political fallout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Based on the growth worldwide today its likely dozens of countries could have over 100 cases by tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

darjeeling wrote: »
    The low number of severe and fatal cases make me think Germany is 2-3 weeks behind Italy in terms of infection.
    Which is odd, given the viral genome sequences available to date appear to show that many cases in Switzerland and Italy are likely linked to the initial Wuhan-linked outbreak in Starnberg, Bavaria in January.

Elsewhere, most of the the Diamond Princess cases have now passed > 2 weeks since testing positive, and there have not been any additional fatalities for some days now. That gives some hope that this disease may have a lower fatality rate than at first feared.

"There are also 65 percent more patient beds per inhabitant in Germany compared to all other EU countries and patients stay in hospital much longer: the number of so-called bed days per inhabitant is around 70 percent above the average of comparable EU countries." Not sure of that source but looked it up because heard similar statistics on a podcast today

Drumpot wrote: »
    I wonder if counties are going to start now using automatic quarantine protocols widespread instead of banning flights from a country. Kind of a technical way to ban flights (who would fly to a foreign country just to spend 2 weeks in quarantine?) without the major political fallout.

We may bitch about Ireland but no country is really doing anything bar superficial containment
    At this point any talk of containment is pointless in Europe. Almost every country has cases identified and probably has a lot more that will never be identified as they will think it's flu but still probably spreading it around

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Quote...

Really hope so, this is a nugget of good news .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

laurah591 wrote: »
    I wonder did the narrative re todays cases change given that he was on Prime time tonight

Or did the ambassador, thinking he was grand here and not in china, just get tangoed?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

So are China going to ban inbound Italian flights...

lol, of course they were

Would be very funny if this virus originated in pasta

On a serious note how do they not know these people visited Italy in incubation with the virus and came back with it fully blown

• Advertisement

Note how the CCP are trying to change the narrative while they bullsh!t their numbers.

Trying to make the face of the virus other countries and not themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement