Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Public.

See what I mean about pedantic back and forth.

Could someone briefly explain how to embed tweets or embed this useful one from CUH?

https://twitter.com/CUH_Cork/status/1235658034824835073?s=20

It says "Please note dialysis, chemotherapy, radiation treatments, and infusions will proceed as planned."

I shudder to think how much extra administration they're having to do because of oversight and bureaucracy at a time where all their resources should be focused on infection control and prevention. I know several people working there tonight, I don't want to text or call because they're probably inundated with people texting to know their business and they're likely completely focused on work. I can't even imagine what that entails, it must be like walking on hot coals, they are so incredibly brave.

I wouldn't say we are brave. It's just doing our job at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,391 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Streets of Italy are a nightmare

https://streamable.com/tu675

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235745673582129153

Are all these death cruises called the "Princess" this or that!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Civil servants don't work in the HSE. You can add that to the list of factually incorrect statements you've made in the last 24 hours ;)

What is the source of funds that is used to pay people in the employ of the HSE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Streets of Italy are a nightmare

https://streamable.com/tu675

That's candem street btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

*all deaths imported from Italy*

Thats my line kermit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thats my line kermit

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235745673582129153

Are all these death cruises called the "Princess" this or that!?

They currently have two ships quarantined, the company is gonna go bust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RTE has now confirmed the Trinity case.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Strazdas wrote: »
    The risks of either catching it or passing it on to anyone in the UK or Ireland at the moment are still absolutely tiny. We're talking about 200 cases out of a combined population of 70m.
    So you don't want people to excercise caution about an epidemic do you? Your motives are highly suspect!

cnocbui wrote: »
    What is the source of funds that is used to pay people in the employ of the HSE?

You and me

When you think about our climate here alone this country could literally be riddled with this. God forbid it explodes like certain other countries because we could not cope with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They currently have two ships quarantined, the company is gonna go bust
    The Flybe of the oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Gods Gift wrote:
    Not like the french to give up easily

Well its kinda funny but overused.

The opposite is true nowadays. They address not afraid to stand up to the powers to be and show them whos boss. What do we do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You and me

Which would make HSE employees Public Servants.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    The Flybe of the oceans.

They were a successful company but this is gonna kill them, a reason for the government to support them
    We cannot allow every tourism based business to go under, flybe have been screwed for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I wouldn't say we are brave. It's just doing our job at the end of the day.

I wouldn't say pharmacists are brave either?
    I am sure Tinychancer meant frontline staff !
    ie. Nurses , doctors , porters, healthcare assistants, physios.

You and me

Public...public servants .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

givyjoe wrote: »
    I'll take the educated opinions of a consultant doctor over someone who seems to be constantly posting in a fit of a rage, dismissing projections by qualified and relevantly educated people, with baseless assertions. What on earth qualifies you to dismiss any worst case scenario?

There is nothing scientific about those projections. If there is feel free to provide sources. Otherwise I'll call it for what it is. Nonsensical scaremongering with no scientific data to back it up.

Some of you seem hell bent on causing panic which will result in deaths. That's what is annoying me. Maybe I should be blaming the WHO for this rather than those posting it though.

But some guy with a degree said something blah blah. Sorry but I have a functioning analytical brain that can smell BS from 10 miles away.

Practically everything I've called out as BS so far has been BS and I'll continue to do it.

If I'm wrong about anything I'll admit it and apologise. I'm no medical expert but I am an expert at spotting BS and this thread is full of it at times.

Someone has to push back against it. The majority here are fine and have genuine reasons to be concerned about this and most are giving sound advice.

A small minority need this.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    USA ARMY PREPARING FOR 3 MILLION DEATHS FROM CORONAVIRUS

https://www.infowars.com/exclusive-army-preparing-for-3-million-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Numbers seems a bit extreme to me , but this is worse case for the USA

Infowars!

In fairness they are using the same calculations that our doctor used based on whos speculation which is around 1% of the total population or 50% infection with 2% fatality.

If the **** hit's the fan it can be contained so that is never going to happen. I'd be far more worried about the economic implications of shutting down half of Europe to try and contain it if it comes to that rather than some theoretical worst case scenario death figure that is never going to happen.

Other potential worst case scenarios! Yellowstone errupts, we get hit by a massive solar flare or meteorite, a nuclear WW3. All possible except we couldn't do a whole lot to stop any of them. We can do a lot to minimise this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm thinking about todays case from cork.

There's an incubation period of 14 days after infection. So far our cases have been linked with travel from Italy. We can presume a lot of this travel occurred over the mid term break which generally came to an end for Monday 24th of February. In relation to this new case in Cork, he tested positive for Coronavirus so that would have been maybe Wednesday of this week. Giving a 14 day incubation period, that would have been about the 16/17/18th February approx when he became infected. He didn't travel abroad. This would tell me the virus has been circulating around since mid February, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Apparently there's 14 unconfirmed cases in the Mater in Dublin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 machomac

So an update from Sydney if anyone’s interested. 60 odd cases nationwide with 2 deaths. 25 cases in NSW. I presume a good percentage of these are in Sydney. Its kind of a weird stage of 'business as usual' but expect restrictions, cancelations, closures etc to really ramp up over this weekend. They had Mardi Gras last weekend which had half a million people hugging and kissing each other so maybe that wasn’t the greatest idea. A few schools, old folks homes and childcare places closed but only those that had a confirmed case. A few business's closed for the same reason.
    The numbers are interesting considering the huge amount of travel between Sydney and China. Australia host 2 million Chinese students each year. The start of the university term was third week of Feb. 10s of thousands would have travelled from China in the weeks prior to term. Sydney Uni have just set up one of their campus accommodation buildings as an isolation centre for incoming students. On top of this, 5% of the Sydney population was born in China. So considering all of this the number of cases I think is still quite low. The temperatures here have been consistently mid to high 20s for the last few weeks. A few days in the 30s on top of that. There might be a case for high temperatures slowing things down a bit. I don't know but wouldn't rule it out. Its been crazy to see people wearing face masks since November because of the fires and masks back on for this. Throw crazy storms and massive flooding in between the two and its been a rough few months for New South Wales. I'm working in a 50 floor office building in the CBD. Got an email today that one of our consultants that works on a lower floor has been in contact with a confirmed case has put himself into self isolation. So not a confirmed case but I'm wondering what happens if he does have it. Full building shut down?? Just hoping this thing calms down quickly. Take care everybody and wash yer oul hands.

The HSE has got 25 extra ICU beds for €20 million and are going to get more.

That's a forewarning of what they know is coming.

People are going to have to get use to changes (restrictions and the like) in everyday life that has not been experienced in the lifetimes of many in this society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The HSE has got 25 extra ICU beds for €20 million and are going to get more.

That's a forewarning of what they know is coming.

People are going to have to get use to changes (restrictions and the like) in everyday life that has not been experienced in the lifetimes of many in this society.

😬

I was reading the Facebook comments on a Corona article from an Australian TV network. Many were worried and showed concern over their health system with one comment saying:

This has the potential to collapse many health systems around the world.

It's right.

As for restrictions - are we looking at world war 2 type of restrictions?

dePeatrick wrote: »
    I had it, I never want to go through that again, I ended up on my hands and knees in a pool of my own vomit violently dry retching...I thought 'This is it' Never want that or anything even close to it again, I was as weak as a kitten for weeks afterwards.

Had it too. The worst sore throat and such a high temp was nearly delirious, lost 24 hours in and out of consciousness. Took me 2 weeks to get back on my feet and wiped me out for a lot longer. Lost about 7 kg without trying.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    😬

I was reading the Facebook comments on a Corona article from an Australian TV network. Many were worried and showed concern over their health system with one comment saying:

This has the potential to collapse many health systems around the world.

It's right.

As for restrictions - are we looking at world war 2 type of restrictions?

That is scary because Australia has one of the best healthcare systems in the world.

I had to laugh at one poster earlier who said if he wanted bread he would just go and buy bread!
    I think the real problem is would there be any bread on the shelves? Will the Baker still be in production?
    Or would the shop be even open, if everyone is sick or self isolating?

Kermit is right..things will be changing , but hopefully for a limited time and we will recover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement