Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,945 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apparently there's 14 unconfirmed cases in the Mater in Dublin..

When I see this word on the internet, I usually ignore most of what comes after it.

No offence poster.

Turkey has closed it's border with Iran.

Turkey say they have no cases. But it's with actions like this you realise that things are probably far, far worse than we are led to believe.

Erdogan thinks by his country lying or hiding information they will get by. That did not work out so well for Iran when dead people started appearing in the street so I don't see why it will work for Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Turkey has closed it's border with Iran.

Turkey says they have no cases. But it's with actions like this you realise that things are probably far, far worse than we are led to believe.

Erdogan thinks by his country lying or hiding information they will get by. That did not work out so well for Iran so I don't see why it will work for Turkey.
    Not looking to be a great strategy by the HSE either. Fair dues to the newspapers and for the CUH staff jumping the gun and going to the media. It's so important that that information is out there so people can assess their own risk factor with all the current facts. Including specific counties being fecking named.

Someone please point out where we genuinely tried containment? Impossible without closing borders. I hope people look back on this and remember that if was never set in stone.
    We are an island, we could of used our one major advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

The HSE has got 25 extra ICU beds for €20 million and are going to get more.

That's a forewarning of what they know is coming.

People are going to have to get use to changes (restrictions and the like) in everyday life that has not been experienced in the lifetimes of many in this society.

How can you manage to make everything so incredibly negative? Most worried people whinging the HSE weren't doing anything probably would have been glad to receive an update from you reading "The HSE has got 25 extra ICU beds for €20 million and are going to get more". Instead you had to make it sound like the worst news imaginable. Would you have been more at ease if they didn't get any extra ICU beds at all?

What kind of restrictions are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Pencil in 32 days to recovery.

Epidemiology and Transmission of COVID-19 in Shenzhen China: Analysis of 391 cases and 1,286 of their close contacts
    Ninety-one percent had mild or moderate clinical severity at initial assessment. Three have died, 225 have recovered (median time to recovery is 32 days).

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    How can you manage to make everything so incredibly negative? Most worried people whinging the HSE weren't doing anything probably would have been glad to receive an update from you reading "The HSE has got 25 extra ICU beds for €20 million and are going to get more". Instead you had to make it sound like the worst news imaginable. Would you have been more at ease if they didn't get any extra ICU beds at all?

What kind of restrictions are you referring to?

I'm not being negative. It's clearly a good thing to secure extra beds of whatever type.

What I am saying is that things are going to get a lot worse going on the experience of other countries around the world but particularly in Europe and people may be alarmed when they see daily figures in the next few days.

The St Patrick's Day events - they are not going to happen. Large gatherings and sporting events will most likely be banned or cancelled. I expect all schools will be shut at some stage. Lock downs of "red zones" or clusters be it towns or cities will have to happen...

How people are going to react to these restrictions remains to be seen. They won't be happy.

This goes back to what I have said from the start to those saying "just the flu", "not so bad"...it's not just the virus - it's the ancillary effects that people will find difficult to accept.

That's my view anyway. I'm not being negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The WHO situation report for 5 March still lists Ireland as having two cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I wouldn't say pharmacists are brave either?
    I am sure Tinychancer meant frontline staff !
    ie. Nurses , doctors , porters, healthcare assistants, physios.

You probably don’t know much about a hospital pharmacists job then. They have plenty of patient contact, and would be considered frontline staff. I think everyone who heads into a hospital deserves our thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Is this real?

Is this real?

Coronavirus case identified at Trinity College Dublin
    http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120531-coronavirus/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-update-latest-live-news-symptoms-cases-global-infection-rate-uk-usa-australia-italy-china-updates
    South Korea calls Japan's approach to virus 'opaque' and 'passive'

The war of words over the coronavirus outbreak between South Korea appears to be escalating. Earlier we reported that Seoul had strongly protested on Friday Japan’s decision to impose a two-week quarantine for visitors from South Korea, calling it “unreasonable, excessive and extremely regrettable”.

Now Reuters is reporting that the South Korean National Security Council (NSC) has called the measures “unjust” and “unacceptable”.

The NSC said Seoul would consider countermeasures based “on principles of reciprocity”.

It also said South Korea had “transparent control over coronavirus cases, “unlike Japan’s opaque, passive policy”.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm thinking about todays case from cork.

There's an incubation period of 14 days after infection. So far our cases have been linked with travel from Italy. We can presume a lot of this travel occurred over the mid term break which generally came to an end for Monday 24th of February. In relation to this new case in Cork, he tested positive for Coronavirus so that would have been maybe Wednesday of this week. Giving a 14 day incubation period, that would have been about the 16/17/18th February approx when he became infected. He didn't travel abroad. This would tell me the virus has been circulating around since mid February, at least.

14 days is thought to be the outside limit for incubation, but typical incubation would be much shorter, I think I saw 2-5 days being typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm not being negative. It's clearly a good thing to secure extra beds of whatever type.

What I am saying is that things are going to get a lot worse going on the experience of other countries around the world but particularly in Europe and people may be alarmed when they see daily figures in the next few days.

The St Patrick's Day events - they are not going to happen. Large gatherings and sporting events will most likely be banned or cancelled. I expect all schools will be shut at some stage. Lock downs of "red zones" or clusters be it towns or cities will have to happen...

How people are going to react to these restrictions remains to be seen. They won't be happy.

This goes back to what I have said from the start to those saying "just the flu", "not so bad"...it's not just the virus - it's the ancillary effects that people will find difficult to accept.

That's my view anyway. I'm not being negative.

Yet another massive post of nonsense speculation in a thread full of morons. So far there’s one major cluster in Italy and you think we’re going to see multiple clusters like that in Ireland?? Why? Currently Italy is the only country experiencing any kind of restrictions and it’s only in certain areas, apart from schools and universities life goes on fairly normally. That’s how life will continue here, as normal for the vast majority.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yet another massive post of nonsense speculation in a thread full of morons. So far there’s one major cluster in Italy and you think we’re going to see multiple clusters like that in Ireland?? Why? Currently Italy is the only country experiencing any kind of restrictions and it’s only in certain areas, apart from schools and universities life goes on fairly normally. That’s how life will continue here, as normal for the vast majority.

Believe what you want to believe but these restrictions are coming to France, Germany, Spain (these three in the coming days) and many other countries on the continent and they are coming here too.

Best deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,945 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this real?

Its on the internet, must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

tails_naf wrote: »
    The HSE are a disgrace. I know a doctor in CUH, who's colleague was literally coughed on by the person in Cork who has been confirmed, and at the time she didn't have PPE. She's not been tested or told to self isolate. With that kind of approach amongst medical staff we're fecked.

Hospitals will close due to no staff, the case in Sydney , where there was a single infected doctor, resulted in 40 staff having to isolate. Actually accelerated now to 80!
    https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/more-than-80-staff-from-two-sydney-hospitals-to-self-isolate-over-coronavirus-fears-c-732340

We have no spare capacity in our healthcare system save forbanning elective work and accelerating the funding for home care packages .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

MadYaker wrote: »

Is that why huge companies are getting employees to work from home from now on. Big pharma companies have started to get all employees who are not physically needed to be there to work from home to reduce the risk to those who have to be onsite. That's not normal at all. But it is sensible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is this real?

Apparently....on the news.

The Chinese peasantry are rising!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-update-latest-live-news-symptoms-cases-global-infection-rate-uk-usa-australia-italy-china-updates
    A top Chinese official visiting Wuhan has been heckled by residents who yelled “fake, fake, everything is fake” as she inspected the work of a neighbourhood committee charged with taking care of quarantined residents.

Vice-premier Sun Chunlan, one of the most senior government officials to visit the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, toured a residential community in Wuhan’s Qingshan district on Thursday.

Videos posted online showed Sun and a delegation walking along the grounds while residents appeared to shout from their apartment windows, “fake, fake,” “it’s all fake,” as well as “e protest”.

Some could be heard yelling, “formalism,” a term that has employed frequently recently to criticise ineffective measures taken by government representatives for the sake of appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Probably already posted but case identified in trinity college.
    This is going to be the norm now I suppose cases popping up everywhere will probably multiply daily now not worried about myself but definitely extremely worried for parents who have under lying conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭Guffy

Work told to stay at home today. Relative of employee ill with corona since monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As i mentioned yesterday theres also 2 other cases i know personally that werent in the numbers the HSE announced last night.

This hiding of information along with the HSE being several hours behind the live freely available numbers, most noticeably Germany which had announced an increase to 500+ at 6pm but thr HSE by 8:30 was still using the previous days figure of 230.

Non of this inspires any confidence or trust whatsoever.

We are going to be hit hard by this due to their incompetance and refusal to still take real drastic action like stopping flights and quarantining people which all should have started weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Probably already posted but case identified in trinity college.

It this is true, it now in the city centre.

Very worrying indeed

So of the guys at work were asked (to test the systems) to work from home yesterday. They will be back in the office today will be interesting to hear from them how they felt it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Should this official not be jailed its believed robes doctor how Wreckless not to declare or do self quarantine !
    Coronavirus patient worked shift in hospital A&E after returning from Italy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement