Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love the disapperance cars in the city centre

Options
  • 05-03-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

first time in Dublin city for a couple of years yesterday. I know alot of you will disagree with me and more needs to be done. Or less depending on your outlook.

But really enjoyed alot less cars on Dame street, college green and side streets off the north quays. more enjoyable to walk along. the council/corporation strategy to rid the streets of cars seems to be working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

first time in Dublin city for a couple of years yesterday. I know alot of you will disagree with me and more needs to be done. Or less depending on your outlook.

But really enjoyed alot less cars on Dame street, college green and side streets off the north quays. more enjoyable to walk along. the council/corporation strategy to rid the streets of cars seems to be working.

There are more cars than ever in the city centre, no idea what you're on about? Unless you mean less cars around College Green? That seems to be a total mess every time I am there with buses and taxis however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Any particular time of day OP?

From the title I was concerned that your thread was about people being kidnapped in Dublin, a la Argentina in the 70's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are more cars than ever in the city centre, no idea what you're on about?

There absolutely isn't.

Canal Cordon Count has been falling for years and didn't pick back up after the recession ended.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Canal_Cordon_Report_2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder what effect the coronavirus hysteria is having this week. At first, I thought traffic would be chaos as people avoid public transport but it seems quieter, probably as every other company is telling its staff to self isolate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've definitely found it much easier to cross Dame Street as a pedestrian lately, usually early to mid afternoon. Turning the north quays into a linear car park has been handy for crossing too.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There absolutely isn't.

Canal Cordon Count has been falling for years and didn't pick back up after the recession ended.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Canal_Cordon_Report_2018.pdf

It seems at least as bad as it ever was to me. Gridlock on my route home most evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

The roads are summer holiday dead this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It seems at least as bad as it ever was to me. Gridlock on my route home most evenings.

Reduced road space along the quays (due to transfer to bus lanes) would increase perceived volume

OSI wrote: »
    Have worked in around Dublin 1 and Dublin 2 for the best part of 15 years, it's significantly quieter now than it was a decade ago and it's fantastic to see.

Same as myself. As someone who cycles in and out it doesn't seem to have improved at rush hours anyway. I don't know how people sit in that traffic every day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jaysis, the traffic is horrendous in the city on my routes.

A journey which used to take 25 mins now takes 60 - 90 mins.

Pearse Street, Gardiner Street, Whitworth Road

and dont talk to me about the Navan Road/Blackhorse Avenue, Ratoath or Ballyboggan Road

Horrific

• Advertisement
Advertisement