Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock Genomics

Options
  • 05-03-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

First time poster here so we will see how this goes.

I doing a project for college on livestock genomics, well it is broadly on genomics but i am trying to show how farmers use genomics as a process for making breeding decisions in there herd.

Obviously one of the best examples is here in Ireland through the work ICBF have done in conjunction with other stakeholders. Schemes such as BDGP (despite the unpopularity of it in many corners), the EBI and Eurostar ratings are all on the bak of work done by this.

Im looking at this topic in a global context but will hone in on Ireland's example as one of the best in the world (unless my research shows me otherwise). I will be bringing in AI into it as well a little but but genomics is the main focus of it.

Im a suckler and sheep farmer myself so have a medium understanding of the process.

Id appreciate any comment, suggestions or links / suggested materials anyone would have on the subject.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have a look at the Canadian system as well. Big problem we have is the way bulls jump around from 5 star to 3 star then maybe settle on 4 star.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Muzza89

Hi blue5000,

Will do I think it sounds like your system in Canada ad our system here in Ireland has a lot of the same issues.

Thanks

Advertisement