Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT underbody test

Options
  • 05-03-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance if this is in the incorrect place.

I just put the car through the NCT without the underbody test and it passed that section.

I was just wondering, when the car has to go back in at a further date, what exactly will be tested under the body?
    While I was quite happy it passed the first part, I'm a little worried there will be a lot of things tested for when it is on the lift? Or have most of the checks been checked for already?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Your vehicle has only done the equipment test.

Headlamp aim test
    Emissions/smoke (depends on fuel type)
    Side slip alignment
    Suspension test
    Brake test.

It still has to go through a visual inspection, it's a list of about 50 items a tester will check for.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

The main stuff they will be checking for, and the most common reasosn for failing underbody inspections would be:

Rust in the body, chassis or subframes,
    Metal brake pipes for rust / damage
    Flexiable rubber brake pipes for cracking / damage
    Wear in suspension & steering components
    Leaks of all types (fuel, coolant, oils)
    Inspect tyres for wear and damage

there would be many other smaller things too

There is no need to be worried about it though, its the car that is on test!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Testacalda wrote: »
    The main stuff they will be checking for, and the most common reasosn for failing underbody inspections would be:

Rust in the body, chassis or subframes,
    Metal brake pipes for rust / damage
    Flexiable rubber brake pipes for cracking / damage
    Wear in suspension & steering components
    Leaks of all types (fuel, coolant, oils)
    Inspect tyres for wear and damage

there would be many other smaller things too

There is no need to be worried about it though, its the car that is on test!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the list :)

I had the serviced and a couple of small things changed and was told the underbody is looking good apart from light corrosion to the backbox which the mechanic told me shouldn't effect the result. I've only recently had a decent bit of work done on the car so hopefully that's enough to get it through the test.

I'll just have to wait and see at this point. Hopefully my local centre's lifts are fixed sooner rather than later.
    Thanks again :)

Your vehicle has only done the equipment test.

Headlamp aim test
    Emissions/smoke (depends on fuel type)
    Side slip alignment
    Suspension test
    Brake test.

It still has to go through a visual inspection, it's a list of about 50 items a tester will check for.

Thanks for the reply. It's my first test so I'm not super familiar with whats what in regards to what will be checked. I found the test online but it's quite a long read lol but it'll give me a better idea of what will be checked.

Thanks again

Affluenza wrote: »
    light corrosion to the backbox which the mechanic told me shouldn't effect the result.

They are probably correct, even if its very rotten / rust, if the exhausting isn't leaking or falling off then it should pass.

• Advertisement

Testacalda wrote: »
    They are probably correct, even if its very rotten / rust, if the exhausting isn't leaking or falling off then it should pass.

Hi, thanks :)

Just one more thing, when the car is called back in for the rest of the test, some people say to get an underbody car wash. I only drive on national and motorways and a little around town so I would assume it would not make much of a difference as the car gets a regular car wash every 3-4 weeks anyway and I'm very careful to avoid puddles, pot holes etc. ?

Affluenza wrote: »

people say to get an underbody car wash

No need for it at all, for your type of use,

Advertisement