Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National broadband plan did F all for FG

Options
  • 05-03-2020 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

It's interesting how nobody thanked FG at the general election for signing up to the nbp. Infant I imagine if they had scrapped going ahead with the whole thing, people would be saying that's why Sean Kyne lost his seat and that's why they didn't win a seat in Tipperary etc etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Long_Wave wrote: »
    It's interesting how nobody thanked FG at the general election for signing up to the nbp. Infant I imagine if they had scrapped going ahead with the whole thing, people would be saying that's why Sean Kyne lost his seat and that's why they didn't win a seat in Tipperary etc etc etc

They didn't get thanked for a lot of things and there are reasons for that most notably how they think they are better than everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Long_Wave wrote: »

With the communications minister going on dinner dates and lunches with a bidder and Denis O'Brien's consortium getting the contract, I think they knew better than to mention it.
    I expect we'll hear more about it although maybe not in a manner FG might like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

You might even ask what is it that you'd need to do for rural Ireland for them to notice or care.

I mean, they elect a load of independents who's influence on events must be close to zero. And ignore the folk investing literally billions in their areas. With a crackpot commitment to connect every building.

On the other side, can anyone explain what either or both instances of Healy-Rae have achieved for Kerry, and how their seats in the national parliament helped in that respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

They massively overestimated the demand for broadband. Eir rolled out fibre to 300k homes and only 1 in 6 took it up. The saddest part about the NBP is urban taxpayers allow this to happen. Urban Eir and ESB customers already subsidise many of the wooden poles feeding one-off houses, which is why Ireland is the most expensive country for electricity and one of the most expensive for broadband. There are about 800k one-off premises in the country, around 500k of them have their phone/broadband and ESB bills subsidised by people living in housing estates/urban areas.

People living in one-off houses shouldn't have their services subsidised. We urban-dwellers pay more money per square meter for our homes as land in rural areas is much cheaper. With 57% of this country's tax revenue coming from Dublin, but Dublin making up only 28% of the population, it's not fair we should have to subsidise their broadband when ours isn't subsidised, just because they built a cheap bungalow in the backarse of nowhere in the 1970s - 1990s and can't get internet.

We are a nation of stupids when it comes to infrastructure and it makes me feel embarrassed to be Irish. Most countries restrict one-off housing, but it wasn't until Eir dropped out of the NBP in 2017 when we decided to ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They massively overestimated the demand for broadband. Eir rolled out fibre to 300k homes and only 1 in 6 took it up. The saddest part about the NBP is urban taxpayers allow this to happen. Urban Eir and ESB customers already subsidise many of the wooden poles feeding one-off houses, which is why Ireland is the most expensive country for electricity and one of the most expensive for broadband. There are about 800k one-off premises in the country, around 500k of them have their phone/broadband and ESB bills subsidised by people living in housing estates/urban areas.

People living in one-off houses shouldn't have their services subsidised. We urban-dwellers pay more money per square meter for our homes as land in rural areas is much cheaper. With 57% of this country's tax revenue coming from Dublin, but Dublin making up only 28% of the population, it's not fair we should have to subsidise their broadband when ours isn't subsidised, just because they built a cheap bungalow in the backarse of nowhere in the 1970s - 1990s and can't get internet.

We are a nation of stupids when it comes to infrastructure and it makes me feel embarrassed to be Irish. Most countries restrict one-off housing, but it wasn't until Eir dropped out of the NBP in 2017 when we decided to ban them.
    Many wind turbines or power stations in Dublin?

• Advertisement
Advertisement