Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Charge in Dublin South

Options
  • 05-03-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,

I'm working in Dublin 18 and I am looking to mortgage a apartment is south side of Dublin - Dublin 16, Dublin 18, Co. Dublin.

I see nice apartments in the Sandyford area. The apartments look very nice and good priced but the management charge are very high.

Can you tell me why management charge is 2500-3200? What is a good management charge in Dublin? I see some apartment in City Center and Dundrum with management charge of lower than 1800 but cost 15,000 more for old looking apartment.

Does newer apartment have higher charge? The selling company told me that is why it is high.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Because there is major work required and people have not been paying. Run away!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 apt2view

srsly78 wrote: »
    Because there is major work required and people have not been paying. Run away!

Thank you. Can you tell me what work? Management charge is for cleaning, garden and insurance only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

apt2view wrote: »
    Thank you. Can you tell me what work? Management charge is for cleaning, garden and insurance only.

Possibly fire safety issues which require lots of renovation.

Maybe if there are lots of extra amenities such a high charge can be justified. Is there a free swimming pool and gym?

Management charge covers the entire upkeep of the complex btw - which includes sinking fund and fire safety and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Lifts are very expensive to insure and maintain. There may also be other expensive items like security gates to car parks, CCTV and janitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There needs to be a sinking fund or basically rainy day fund.

Management is you the owner and if not you should be involved as a owner.... (When and if you purchase)

What was happening for years was they were just doing exactly that and no money was been kept for actual real maintenance issues that can and will arise with age, wear and tear and other issues that can happen.

Roof repair or replacement, wall or major structural issues, replacement of say, doors, windows, bin sheds, light poles, lighting equipment and fittings, lift maintenance and replacement etc... So much more....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It can vary quite a lot. At a minimum, they will (should) have:

Block insurance for the buildings
    Public indemnity insurance for common areas
    Electricity and heating for common areas
    Lift mainteance
    Bins
    Cleaning Common areas
    Sinking fund (for repairs)
    Management agent fees (to handle queries and organise the money etc)

Additionally, apartment management companies can pay for the following:
    Concierge
    Security
    Gardening
    Dedicated site manager

All those fees are then divided up amongst the number of apartments. So a small block with all the bells and whistles could be 5-6k or more per annum, and a large block stripped to minimum can be 1-1.2k. Obviously the more you pay the better stuff you should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Just in case you may be considering this complex in Sandyford, please read this first https://www.thejournal.ie/simonsridge-apartments-4968013-Jan2020/

Just in case you may be considering this complex in Sandyford, please read this first https://www.thejournal.ie/simonsridge-apartments-4968013-Jan2020/

Thanks. That is bad.

I was looking at Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Thanks. That is bad.

I was looking at Beacon.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/apartment-owners-landed-with-bills-of-5000-for-fire-safety-work-36597485.html

is that why they want a cash buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

meijin wrote: »

Don't see cash buyer mentioned in this thread?

• Advertisement

accensi0n wrote: »
    Don't see cash buyer mentioned in this thread?

Yes. I have another post here : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/112734198

I don't know why they want cash buyer but the advertisement does not say cash buyer. Only when you are offering they say cash buyer only.

I think the problem is not with people not buying. It is the selling companies who are lying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes. I have another post here : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/112734198

I don't know why they want cash buyer but the advertisement does not say cash buyer. Only when you are offering they say cash buyer only.

I think the problem is not with people not buying. It is the selling companies who are lying to sell.

Won't get a mortgage, no bank would allow a purchase that's why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Won't get a mortgage, no bank would allow a purchase that's why

yes, and once you buy (cash), you're stuck with it!

Advertisement