Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Items going missing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If I had items missing from a rental property I would simply deduct it from the deposit. I wouldn't know which occupant took it but all would end up needing to pay. I am not sure why it would be different if they are licencees.

Can somebody explain why they think it is different?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is also emotional value.

Emotional value costs nothing.

Effects wrote: »
    Emotional value costs nothing.

In the law it does whether you like it our not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

If I had items missing from a rental property I would simply deduct it from the deposit. I wouldn't know which occupant took it but all would end up needing to pay. I am not sure why it would be different if they are licencees.

In this case, the homeowner has access to the same property.
    Who is to say that they didn't remove the items as a way of extracting cash out of the licensees?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

??????

What you paid for something, and what it's worth are two different things.

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    In this case, the homeowner has access to the same property.
    Who is to say that they didn't remove the items as a way of extracting cash out of the licensees?

Same has been said when I pointed furniture went missing and I didn't live there. So I see no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

This could also be more innocent than it seems. Someone might be after getting some flowers, and borrowed the vase, took it in their room, and never put it back where it goes. Could the framed poster be moved somewhere, maybe in the attic/shed? I have a housemate who thinks that the house belongs to him and he keeps moving things that are in the common spaces, could it be something like that, rather than stealing?

Effects wrote: »
    What you paid for something, and what it's worth are two different things.

Nit-picking nonsense, it could well have appreciated in value for all you know? Fact is, OP paid x for them and to replace them would probably cost at least €x.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

The only real solution to this is to write-off the loss, and get two new tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Well OP what the outcome?

• Advertisement

This could also be more innocent than it seems. Someone might be after getting some flowers, and borrowed the vase, took it in their room, and never put it back where it goes. Could the framed poster be moved somewhere, maybe in the attic/shed? I have a housemate who thinks that the house belongs to him and he keeps moving things that are in the common spaces, could it be something like that, rather than stealing?

That doesn't sound innocent. That sounds like a huge over step. They aren't housemates and don't have any right to be moving or taking the owners pocessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greencoat

jesus they are been obvious in what they take lets be honest,i think if i was to stroke something it would not be a picture from the hall wall..odd choice.i would be having none of that lark in my house,lay it them both,cards on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

That doesn't sound innocent. That sounds like a huge over step. They aren't housemates and don't have any right to be moving or taking the owners pocessions.

Well I didn't say exactly that it's innocent, but definitely more innocent than stealing. Agree with a huge overstep, definitely. Just not as serious as stealing in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fran38 wrote: »
    Last month i noticed my flower vase went missing, a nice cut crystal worth at least 70e.
    If you live there, find the guilty party, and evict. Then bring criminal proceedings against them.
    fran38 wrote: »
    I dont have contracts/tenancy agreements written up. Its a very loose and ad hoc set up.
    Also, if you live there, don't give them more rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I think you would have to be a serious kleptomaniac or a total lunatic to be stealing items like that from the place you live. Would bet money on it something else is going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would get them both together and ask them about it .

You say they are good tenants who pay their rent on time.

It would be a pity to lose them if there is some other explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Trying to find out who is stealing your properly is daft? Are you for real??

If you were to start secretly recording people where they live, without their foreknowledge and consent, I can picture all sorts of negative legal and social ramifications if they ever found out.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    If you were to start secretly recording people where they live, without their foreknowledge and consent, I can picture all sorts of negative legal and social ramifications if they ever found out.

Legal this legal that, where do people get these ideas in their head.

You can do what ever you want in your own home. You can place a camera where ever the hell you want, please don’t spread nonsense ideas that you can’t as someone might believe it.

You do not need consent to record someone one your private property or in a public place for that matter.

There was even a thread here recently where a LL had hidden cameras in a tenants property and the guards said it’s nothing whatsoever to do with them, not a legal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In a tenancy normally the individual tenants are jointly and severally responsible for rent and damage, with a shared deposit between them. In a house share agreements are normally individual and seperate deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

There was even a thread here recently where a LL had hidden cameras in a tenants property and the guards said it’s nothing whatsoever to do with them, not a legal matter.

I'd say they said it was not a criminal matter. Expect a massive legal bill if you are caught videotaping licensees without their knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ok didn't realise €150 isn't worth much

Well that's what you spent on it. Value is different. Could even have been worth more.

What happened OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

My guess would be one of them came home some evening scuttered and fell into them and hid the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The likely outcome is that the innocent person would force the other person to own up so the threat of equal split would likely be enough.

Did you have no brothers & sisters growing up?

If both deny the one who is more convincing wins. Some people are outstanding at lying

If the OP evicts both then an innocent licencee is gone for something they didn’t do

You ain’t wise King Solomon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Because the op also has access to the house. The op could have a light-fingered work colleague who called for lunch last month. Or a clumsy brother who stayed one night after a few drinks and knocked over the vase.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well that's what you spent on it. Value is different. Could even have been worth more.

What happened OP?

What are you on about....

I didn't spend it, it's not me....

€150 is a lot of money.

You can do what ever you want in your own home. You can place a camera where ever the hell you want, please don’t spread nonsense ideas that you can’t as someone might believe it.

You do not need consent to record someone one your private property or in a public place for that matter.

You're legal advice is terrible nox.
    No-one has a right to privacy in a public place & true you can be on CCTV anywhere.
    The same does not exist for your dwelling or even private areas.
    You need to be informed if you will be on CCTV in a private area.
    Every see the signs? Shops, private areas of estates?

I also think you got the story mixed up, there is definitely a case to be answered if a LL has hidden CCTV in a tenanted house. There have been plenty of cases were someone and been prosecuted for spying on their tenants. The least that would happen would be the LL would be sued.
    Maybe you're thinking of the story where the tenant wanted to put hidden cameras to catch the LL coming in uninvited? Completely different scenario.

OP, just ask them, at the same time do they know where these items are? You will probably know your culprit from their reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What are you on about....

I didn't spend it, it's not me....

€150 is a lot of money.

It's not really. But that wasn't my point. The value of something is not what is spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/landlord-who-spied-on-his-tenants-jailed-1.354920%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Im so sorry for the late reply. Firstly thank you all for the thoughtful replies ( And yes that includes the replies that were way off kilter lol). The vase was in fact in her room. She took it a few weeks ago and just held onto it. No harm done there. The poster issue is another issue altogether. I spoke to both lodgers in the kitchen two nights ago. They were aghast that someone would do such a thing One of them and i dont know which one,i suspect is a superb actor. They denied all knowledge of knowing anyone that could have taken it. No friends of theirs woild stoop so low as to take another persons belongings.
    A lot of tooing and froing. A lot of threats to throw them out on their ear if it didnt turn up etc
    But what did i do?.,I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I think it may have been taken by one of their pals unknownst (spelling?) to them. Such was their amazement and disgust at such a thing happening. However i did say this is it, anymore **** like this and out ye go.
    Ill get mauled and ridiculed by spme posters, bring it on ****wits lol But there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You handled it well OP, well I wouldn’t have been cursing at them but that’s me

I doubt it’ll happen again

Advertisement