Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Items going missing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I would just put the two of them out. It is just bonkers to have CCTV in a home where people should trust each other.

Well,your view seems unfair on the person that did nothing wrong, and you are way off the mark regarding being in a place and trusting people, its preferable but in many sharing scenarios you simply dont know the people and trust cant just occur from nothing. I make a point of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but if things go awry, do I then chuck everyone out because there is one difficult person? No I wouldnt, Id try locate the most likely person and send them on their way. But cctv to a reasonable degree helps because not everyone can be taken at face value and trusted off the bat based on what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

1874 wrote: »
    Well,your view seems unfair on the person that did nothing wrong, and you are way off the mark regarding being in a place and trusting people, its preferable but in many sharing scenarios you simply dont know the people and trust cant just occur from nothing. I make a point of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but if things go awry, do I then chuck everyone out because there is one difficult person? No I wouldnt, Id try locate the most likely person and send them on their way. But cctv to a reasonable degree helps because not everyone can be taken at face value and trusted off the bat based on what they say.

It is tough on the innocent person but it can't be helped. Using cctv to keep housemates honest is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

It is tough on the innocent person but it can't be helped. Using cctv to keep housemates honest is bonkers.

well thats a $hitty way to view it and treat someone that did no wrong, more in favour for cctv IMO, it doesnt keep people honest, but its handy for dealing with minor issues anyway, look around, its popular in businesses because it works and serves a purpose that exceeds the cost of install/operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hi Claw, One point, I had a lad living with me near about 18 months. Nice lad got on well. he moved out all aok gave him back the deposit. While cleaning room I noticed it looked a bit bare but I hadnt stepped foot in the room in about 18 months and had no inventory at the time but couldnt put my finger on it what was missing or even if there was something missing (i know idiot for having no inventory, i do now keep inventories)
    In any event.... a few hours later it clicked... Sure didnt I have a walnut shoe cabinet in there .... or was I wrong... I didnt want to text asking as I just couldnt be sure didnt want to seem a dick about it. I decided to watch back the cctv that sits over the front door which I had never needed to check before!. I watched it back he could be clearly seen walking out with the walnut shoe cabinet, not only that but also a fold up computer desk I had loaned him that was in the shed i had also completely forgotten about. He had taken all walnut coat hangers again seen on cctv and replaced them with plastic and wire ones again I hadnt noticed them :o. But best of all the Foam Mattress topper from the double bed he could be seen sauntering off with!
    He had moved out while I was in work but I totally trusted the guy!
    In any event I texted him and got all the stuff back he apparently thought I didnt need them and he assumed the mattress topper was to be binned:P
    I was quite naieve not to be more careful with house inventories etc. Lesson Learned.

Advertisement