Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance to keep my NCB

Options
  • 05-03-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

I have not had insurance since end-March 2018, so I am coming up on two years without it. After 2 years, my No Claims Bonus would expire, which I do not want to happen. Therefore, I need to take out a new policy this month.

My question - what is the cheapest way for me for me to get a policy, so that I can retain my NCB?

I do not own a car, so need to find a cheap-to-buy, cheap-to-insure one. I will not drive it at all. Does it need NCT and Tax for an insurer to insure it?

Open to any suggestions. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some specify it needs valid NCT.

So what you could do is buy one with it, sign it off the road for motor tax and then when NCT is due again drive it to a booked test as this is the only time you can legally drive a car without motor tax.

You could buy a 100 euro car, NCT and try get insurance but it will be difficult as many are not insuring 15 years or older cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

It doesn't matter about tax and NCT if you're not going to be driving it. The fact it has NCT or not would only arise in the event of a claim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You haven't driven in 2 years, when do you plan to again? The cost of buying a car and insuring it, to not use it for however long, might cost you more in the long run.

The fact is, in Ireland there is no such thing as a car cheap to insure. Not even the insurance companies will guarantee you what to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Hi OP. I had the exact same situation as you last month funnily enough. Bought a heap of rubbish yaris that doesn't start and never will again for 50 euro and have insurance for the year with Axa for 380 euro. Have full no claims so didn't want to lose out. No NCT or tax on it in fact it's missing it's battery, starter, back seats, brake discs, calipers and wipers also. I've already made 350 back selling various parts off it and hope to make the same again before i get it taken away.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Hi OP. I had the exact same situation as you last month funnily enough. Bought a heap of rubbish yaris that doesn't start and never will again for 50 euro and have insurance for the year with Axa for 380 euro. Have full no claims so didn't want to lose out. No NCT or tax on it in fact it's missing it's battery, starter, back seats, brake discs, calipers and wipers also. I've already made 350 back selling various parts off it and hope to make the same again before i get it taken away.

Thank you for the feedback and help folks.

Hi BanditLuke, sounds like a great way to manage this! Can you let me know if you were asked about NCT or Tax by AXA before they confirmed your policy?

Also, did you need to share No Claims Bonus 'proof' from your previous insurer? I've asked my last insurer for this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

FreeFallin wrote: »

Hi BanditLuke, sounds like a great way to manage this! Can you let me know if you were asked about NCT or Tax by AXA before they confirmed your policy?

Also, did you need to share No Claims Bonus 'proof' from your previous insurer? I've asked my last insurer for this.

Thanks.

Of course you will need proof of ncb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

FreeFallin wrote: »

Thanks.

Yeah had to send in no claims cert from last insurer. Didn't ask about nct or tax but the car will never move from my driveway so it doesn't worry me. Felt a bit awkward when they asked me about my annual mileage though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

FreeFallin wrote:

You would have received this at your last renewal but as it's 2 years ago you may not still have it

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giggs76

i was in a same situation my ncb was running out and i didn't have a car to insure so my father has the same name as me so i just took out a policy on his car with no intention of every driving the car, i took the policy out with 123.ie for 350 euro and they never asked for any documentation about the car or nct or tax, i rang them up after a month to suspend the policy i told them i was going abroad, the policy was up for renewal last month and they sent me a ncb, also i recieved a refund for the 11 months that the policy was suspended. Happy days.

i don't plan to get a car the moment as i just don't need it but good to know i have a fresh ncb which will be good for up to 2 years if i change my mind

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Advertisement