Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Virgin Broadband/TV/Phone: best cheaper alternative?

• 05-03-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm moving from Virgin 250 Mix as the €66.80 per month package (over 12 months) is too expensive. Eir is offering a 100mb service. This €39.98 per month Eir package here looks good, although the broadband is 100mb rather than the 250mb from Virgin. It would be a saving of €312 per year, which is about €550 of my pre-tax income so it's a lot. Would there be a better one/one with a more reliable customer service? I only need a very basic tv package, the four Irish channels and a couple of foreign ones would be more than enough - I tried a package last year without tv and used the RTÉ Player instead but it was incredibly poor (to understate the reality) so I need to get a tv service to get proper RTÉ access.

Some questions:

1. For ordinary household broadband will that difference between 100mb and 250mb make much difference?

2. Would Eir or Vodafone have to come out and do drilling or such stuff here? Is there a charge for that which would make the move less economical?

3. Does Eir or Vodafone charge to come out and fix technical issues? The Virgin person on the phone said they will whereas with Virgin it's free. Is this true?

4. If I cancel the Eir/Vodafone service within 14 days, will there be a connection charge if I decide to go back to Virgin?

5. Is Eir as bad as all the reviews say it is? I'm shocked at how awful they are on TrustPilot:

Reviews of Eir

But then again Vodafone reviews are just as abysmal, as are the reviews of Virginmedia

Any advice on what snags I should look out for in the move (I've already made sure that I gave Virgin the one month's notice of intention to quit, as they caught me before)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Eir is offering a 100mb service.

Double check this ...... is it 'up to' on copper or is this fibre to the home?

I suspect fibre to cabinet and copper to home, which will be 'up to' == somewhere between 0 and 100 Mb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

5. Is Eir as bad as all the reviews say it is? I'm shocked at how awful they are on TrustPilot:

Reviews of Eir

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you are going with eir sign up online. €29.99 for 12 months - limited offer.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I moved to Vodafone. Didn't notice the drop in internet speed from 240 to 100mb. Have plenty of channels, catch up etc. Box is much easier to use and one of my favourite features is you can remove channels you don't subscribe to from your TV guide and channel scroll.

€25 per month for 6/9 months (can't remember) then €65. Virgin wanted €94

Advertisement