Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

They're releasing it on PC though. Just think they've missed a beat on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Brilliant first episode, casting was perfect across the board. Loved the fact that it felt and looked so similar to the game, can't wait for next week's episode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

i wouldnt see the point of playing the game if you watch the tv show. The game mechanics were pretty ordinary only the story made the game great. This show I've heard is like a scene for scene adaptation of the game, the first episode definitely was, so they'll be no mystery left in playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's one of my favourite games but I'd have to agree watching the tv show before playing the game would diminish the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think that's a bit over the top as well.

I liked the opening where it's all explained how all this is going to kick off. As a zombie thing I've seen it all before, including the one person (child) who seems to have been infected but is somehow immune. So she's going to grow up to be some kind of Sarah Conner saviour character if we're going with tropes.

I though the jump was too much is all I'm saying, like if it was 5 years later it might be more plausible, but 2 decades later and the main protagonists are still around and nothing much has changed except well a predicable dystopian reality.

I didn't actually think the acting was great tbh as some have since said, I thought most of the characters came across as C-List actors.

So I don't really get why anyone would think this is 'brilliant' (yet) but again reading the posts most that do seem to think so because they know the video game so perhaps it is a brilliant adaptation.

I appreciated this post here so perhaps I'll watch E2 to see how it develops.

Btw, if one is into zombie type things I'd recommend 'From' which had me gripped from the start. Binge watched. Sorta Lost meets Zombie land.

I've played it. Everyone interested in the game has already played it.

Don't have a PS anymore and watching this has me wanting to play it again.

Anyway, I watched this again. It really is a, so far, a fantastic adaption

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

"From" is a very good show- though a terrible name for finding a tv show in a search engine. The Last Of Us game was pretty pedestrian at the start but the writing got much more interesting later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

I don't like the use of the word tropes when critising movies or tv anymore as it has become a lazy way to give out about it. Like saying a western uses all the tropes of hats and horses or superhero tropes of strong people and flying people. You could literally say that about any genre, Happy Gilmore had so many comedy tropes as there were some funny bits in it. I have seen pretty much all the zombie/apocalypse dramas except From, which I will look up, but TLOU has much more than the standard show like TWD. Granted you would not have seen that in the 1st episode. Zombies are not central to the plot. TWD started great then flew off a cliff, I cannot see this doing the same. As for the time jump, that will make sense later on. I for one would like to see a sort of prequel that follows the time between jumps but that is only as I know what happens in the future, 20 years passing is paramount to what happens in the future without giving anything away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Don't understand the criticism over the PC release date - seems like it lines up right after the series ends, is that not ideal? As mentioned, it wouldn't make much sense to release it right at the start of the series, as newcomers would have it completed before the middle of the series and kill any mystery for the end. Even after having first played the game 10 years ago, I found myself itching to start it up again after the pilot.

I guess you could argue the other way too, but I think alot of people will be intrigued by the game series after watching the show, and sales will spike after the series ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I hardly ever use the term myself actually but I suppose to be fair since this is an adaptation it's not the dramatization's fault.

Yes, terrible name!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

On this occasion they balanced the potential revenue with keeping the captive customers captive and the former won. 9 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great catch, someone spotted this in the last shot of the episode, teasing what's to come outside the safe zone. I spoilered it as they name it in their tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

I can't see it -I have never watched Bella in GoT--its the only thing that doesn't sit right for me so far about the programme that she doesn't look anything like Ellie from the game. Really enjoyed everything else, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree that she doesn't really look like Ellie, but Pedro Pascal also doesn't look like Joel. In terms of Bella's performance though, from the first episode and the trailers, I think she's absolutely nailing it.

I think the creators said they auditioned dozens of girls for the role. You're never going to get someone who looks exactly like a fictional computer-generated character and can give the performance matching an adult actress (like Ashley Johnson) to fully embody the role. Bella's performance as Ellie is so great that the fact she doesn't quite look like Ellie from the game matters very little to me. Performance takes precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I have to say, I've never understand this criticism that Bella Ramsey doesn't look exactly like Ellie - which has been really over the top in some cases. How many adaptations have we previously seen, and how many of the actors there look exactly like the character as they were previously known?

As mentioned before, the most important thing is how they portray the actual character - their mannerisms, personality etc. - and imo Bella Ramsey has done a great job so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Casting by exact physical appearance primarily is a crazy route to go down with regards to casting - why would you narrow the net so dramatically? I think that's the case with real people, but triply so for fictional characters like Ellie :P

In general, you want someone who can truly capture the essence of a character. Obviously, if there's a physical resemblance there, that's great! And there are certainly cases where some sort of physical resemblance can help. But outside of getting 15-year-old Elliott Page (and hell even that casting might not have worked), there was not a chance of getting someone who looked like video game Ellie but was also able to perform to the quality needed. The second Ramsey spoke it's clear she understood the particular mix of teenage stubbornness, rebellion and naivety that defines Ellie when we first meet her, and that's what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As someone who played the games as they came out and the DLC, I feel my point is "valid". I am a huge Naughty Dog fan (The game studio) and was following the game for months prior to launch. I have been harping on about this game for years like some teenage fanboy. Hah: It's a non-issue. She's great!

The reason I put valid in quotes is because I'm sure there are people out there who think that the players' opinions are more valid than those who have not: "No, she doesn't look exactly like her character so she sux. You don't know what you are on about so shut up". I agree with you and @johnny_ultimate: It is about who can play a part. Sarah in the game was a white blonde girl for example (And you can imagine how that went down. One of the previous videos was about how this was going to fail HARD, partially because of "W-word" Race-Swapping. In the end, did any viewer/non-W-obsessed person give a sh*t? No)

I knew Pedro Pascal would knock this out of the park. And he does bear a striking resemblance to the game character. Bella Ramsey? Not so much. (Even at the time there was controversy about how much Ellie looked like Ellen (at the time) Page - especially as Page had a game out themselves around the same time).

BUT the thing is: My God, they are playing the characters PERFECTLY. Pascal not only looks like game-Joel, he even sounds exactly like him: The tone, mannerisms, the accent. All spot on. Honestly, it's scary how spot on he is. Ramsey may not look as close to Ellie as Pascal does to Joel but she sounds EXACTLY like Ellie in the game (Please excuse the excessive use of capitals. I know I look like a trump tweet). Her mannerisms, her spunk and excessively foul mouth are pitch perfect. This is a person who was born and raised in that world. Something that explored in occasional quiet portions of the game and hopefully here too. No big deal but little observations.

So, again, as someone who has played the game: The casting is awesome. TBH, I don't think you'll find a gamer on this thread who would think otherwise. I think that is a VERY small minority. REALLY small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Based purely on the first episode, Sarah and Joel were standouts. Not sure on Ellie yet as there's a risk of becoming one note, but a believe Bella Ramsay has the ability to avoid that.

Outside of performances that must of been one of the most striking cold openings I've seen, really set the tone. Overall a great start, but I have this nagging feeling we've seen it all before.

I've avoided any build up for this, for fear of spoilers.

Are there actually people giving out about the casting of Joel's daughter?

there has been no mention of it here. I thought she was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

There are people giving out about it being too faithful to the game, and there are people giving out about it not being faithful enough. Some people are never happy.

4 sleeps left until E2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Sorry, you watched it twice and they are your questions about it? 😂

Oh not here, just in wider internet discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I assume Elliot Page (formerly Ellen Page) would be too old to take on the role (nor want to play the role of a female!)

• Advertisement

Advertisement