Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was excited about the Mahershala Ali rumours, but Pedro Pascal more than makes up for that. I think he'll be incredible.

Lady Mormont was a fun character in Game of Thrones. Didn't have a lot to and was a bit cheesy, but I thought the actress did great. Can't say I can really picture her as Ellie since GoT is all I can judge her on, but I'm hopeful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, I like Pascal a lot. Bella is an interesting one. I thought she had only been in Thrones, but a quick look at her IMDB page says she's actually racked up quite a few credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was coming here to post this. I am MORE than happy with the casting. Regarding Rasmey. I have faith. As has been said, Mortmont was awesomly, hilariously OTT but great fun. But she had a small part in the last season of His Dark Materials. She is a great actor and I believe she is a fantastic choice.

As for Joel. Mahaeshala Ali would have been a shockingly good choice but, for me, I'd watch him play Bosco in a 200 million dollar Michael Bay adaptation (Actually. Hmmmmmmm). He should be cast in everything.

But Pascal? Didn't even appear on my radar but all I can say is:

Hell yeah!

I am SO happy with everything I've heard so far: From the casting to the production team to the fact it's a series rather than a movie. As we have seen from Watchmen and others, HBO have no problem doing a "Limited Series", Hopefully one 7 or 8 episode series and that's it.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hope they don't go the route of Batwoman where the actress
    will have be of similar sexuality to Ellie.

I put in spoiler tags but just wondering how will spoilers work for this thread. Some will be experiencing the story for the first time through this.

Well, they may use the DLC that was released for one episode. Would be a good addition and actually needed/effective if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Elijah Wood would be absolutely perfect as David, do it HBO!!

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1359748013732683777?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I can't wait for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Given what we know about Joel I can only assume and hope Pascal signed on for a fantastically written Season 1. Or maybe they'll use some bullsh1tty story tricks like time jumps and flashbacks to keep him in the show well beyond, well....you know.

I think I read somewhere that the TV series will be set in between Part 1 and Part 2, so pretty much about the relationship between Joel and Ellie after the events of the first game

I think I read somewhere that the TV series will be set in between Part 1 and Part 2, so pretty much about the relationship between Joel and Ellie after the events of the first game

I thought I read it would be about Part 1 with room to expand it into Part 2 but I like the idea of in between or 2 timelines or flashbacks to show part 1 events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: small point of order. Please be aware that not everyone here will have played both games, and given they're so narrative-driven, Spoiler etiquette will apply here. Put plot or story info from the games behind spoiler tags please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One thing about short season series these days is actors can do multiple shows. So Pedro can do this and Mando. Though I guess can just reuse recorded dialogue for Mando anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Only played the first game recently and am about to start the second. Glad I waded in here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bella Ramsey is 17 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So Pedro is going to play a man who keeps to himself and has a strong inner guide, who reluctantly takes charge of a youngling to bring them to safety, and grows attached to them - almost as a parent to them - over the course of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Be interesting to see how close they follow the games.

I would love to see more of Joel’s back story prior to meeting Ellie.

Also a full episode about left behind would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I dunno lads, Pedro's good but its hard to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dylan McDermott is the image of Joel but weather or not he could pull off the character i dunno!

Anyway i am sure when it eventually comes out ill give it a watch and hopefully it doesn't go down the route of the second game and more then first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I just hope he plays Joel with a Southern accent, that's a part of his character.

Klonker wrote: »
    I just hope he plays Joel with a Southern accent, that's a part of his character.

I don't think it's an important enough part of his character to try make Pascal have to do a Southern accent the whole way through the show, which could seriously detract from his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is Druckmann the show runner?

Craig Mazin is showrunner, not sure if Neil is co runner or not but both seem to be leading it.

• Advertisement

No, I think it's Craig Mazin who did Chernobyl (the TV show, not the actual event)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well that's something at least having an accomplished showrunner, I hope Druckmann's role is minimal. I wouldn't even give him the oversight George RR Martin had in the earlier seasons in GoT.

Filming starting July 2021 and scheduled to wrap June 2022. This is gonna be ages away. I don't usually follow tv show productions but do they usually air episodes before finishing the whole series? Is it possible that we could see the 1st ep later this year?

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1378037269425164289?s=19

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Filming starting July 2021 and scheduled to wrap June 2022. This is gonna be ages away. I don't usually follow tv show productions but do they usually air episodes before finishing the whole series? Is it possible that we could see the 1st ep later this year?

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1378037269425164289?s=19

HBO tends to schedule shows weekly without any breaks.

I can’t think of any HBO series that did a Christmas/Easter break like networks tv shows do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Scripted series on cable like HBO will usually film before airing any. Network series such as shows on CBS usually only film a number of episodes in advance.
    I know The Nevers from HBO Max is filming the first season in 2 parts with first 6 episodes starting airing this month while the other 4 are being filmed at the moment which will probably begin airing near the end of the year.
    Though the reason for splitting is due to production being halted due to the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

12 months of filming seems a very long time for one season of I'd say a max of 12 episodes

That filming one episode a month most TV shows shoot an episode in less than a week.

I wonder are they taking into account having to stop for Coivd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Yeah a year seems way too long to film. It's possible they start July '21 for a few months, then a break for other schedules (possibly for Pedro to shoot The Mandalorian) and then start again early in '22 until June.

Anyway, lools like Autumn/Winter '22 to be aired.

12 months of filming seems a very long time for one season of I'd say a max of 12 episodes

That filming one episode a month most TV shows shoot an episode in less than a week.

I wonder are they taking into account having to stop for Coivd.

Very mild spoilers for the game
    I wonder if it's because of the seasons in the game for the different sections, and the amount of filming required to get genuine different weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gabriel Luna signed on to play Tommy.

• Advertisement

Gabriel Luna signed on to play Tommy.

He was great as Ghost Rider in Agents of Shield, not so much in Terminator but that movie was poor overall.

And he's from Austin which is where Joel/Tommy are from.

Advertisement