Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

No not really, I would enjoy something more visceral in line with what was experienced within the game version and feel somewhat cheated that the adaption has chosen to forgo that side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The game would be awful boring if you just walked around talking, that is why the game has all that action. It is totally unrealistic that they would survive even a third of the encounters in the game. You can watch a walk throughs on youtube if you want to see the game re-enacted on the screen.

Well first off, the whole thing in general is quite unrealistic to be fair.

Mainly though, the grit in this television version is not there, it does the world a disservice in my opinion. No real sense of urgency or massive threat.

I'm not a big gamer, I have never seen an episode of The Walking Dead. However the original narrative and story between Joel and Ellie and their trials and tribulations was outstanding. It has not be successfully recreated here unfortunately. While the show itself may be enjoyable for people, it's pales significantly to the story told withing the game, so far.

Fairly weak argument to say people can watch walk throughs on YouTube. There is a right to be disappointed by what has been presented thus far and engage in conversation with others about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The actress, Melanie Lynskey, has just posted a thread on Twitter about what she and others wanted the character to be. Can't argue with anything she says tbh. I still don't like the unnecessary detail of the doctor having delivered her as I think it just really threw that scene off especially as it was the introduction of her character, but it's a minor thing.

What specifically do you find unrealistic in the show?

The world hasn't changed from the game, minus the spores it is the exact same. They showed how bad people are and how bad the clickers are, what more of a threat do you need? Some things don't translate from the game like Joel walking around with 50 guns on his body and bombs and Molotov cocktails. We have seen enough trials and tribulations so far, if they made it a 20 hour show we could have that but unfortunately that was never going to happen on HBO, if it was on FX they could but it would be watered down tripe. Of course you can give your opinion, I suggested Youtube as it is what you want to see, why worry about the show not giving you something it was never going to.

• Advertisement

The premise in itself, is unrealistic. But suspense of disbelief and all that.

The spore change is a pretty significant change in itself. Now the infected seem to operate with a hive mentality and underground, so the infected are hidden away.

I have previously alluded to this need for others heroism in this adaption, weather it is Tess or Franks death,however their original deaths were grim, and the changes in my opinion has removed the original bleakness, which changes the way we see the world.

The added stories also take away from the isolated nature of Joel and Ellies journey. I just do not think we have experienced those two as of yet properly weeks into their journey. One of the big themes in the game was how horrid Joel actually is, a genuine struggle with justifying Joel's violence. Now there is implied violence with some references to checkered past, but I think it would be better to just straight up witness that first hand.

It's not a worry, it's just a sharing disappointment, if it wasn't named The Last of Us I wouldn't be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's an amazing thread post. I was a fan of hers from Yellowjackets but even more so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

Unless they spend a good chunk of time on a Bill and Frankesque diversion with her raiders I don't see any of that coming across on screen.

That a fungal infection could affect humans or spread around and mutate over time? That is happening now, why is it a massive leap that the premise of this strain could happen at some stage. They don't mention fungicide in the show, that is one weapon we have but if the mutation countered this some how we could be screwed. It is a game/tv show so there is obviously some artistic license on reality. I wouldn't argue a DC/Marvel movie is unrealistic because people are flying and shooting lazers from their eyes, that is the premise of the show, so what is unrealistic?

The spores wouldn't work in the tv show as said 100 times already in the thread. They would be walking around in respirators half the time and if it was airbourne pretty much everyone would be infected with just Ellie walking around on her own.

You don't think the series is bleak enough? We got that Joel has killed and robbed innocent people, he beat a Fedra officer to death with his fists and stabbed an injured guy to death, I don't think we need to see much more of this struggle. The game was never just Ellie and Joel as well, they encountered people every step of the journey, they may have been spaced out a bit more because you were climbing stuff and jumping on rafts and probably dying every 5 minutes. The much maligned episode 3 that had none of them in it, actually had 30 minutes of just them in it, same with the last episode, Kathleen and the crew were probably in it 5 minutes tops, so that was 40 minutes on Joel and Ellie bonding etc. If that is not enough for you, fair enough but that is just basically nitpicking because all the base stuff, if not somewhat rushed, is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I made a post about it but it got deleted for some reason , Its just not believe that she would be in charge

• Advertisement

Why?

The world may be in **** but it's only 20 years. It's not Mad Max.

We know nothing about her abilities. All I can see if people wailing that she's a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see she replied to a woman who commented on her fuller figure that she seems like a woman of luxury and not a leader of a group trying to survive. Jesus, social media just sucks sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seeing as there are no black elves or non binary Starfleet ensigns I'm glad to see this show has found its pointless bullsht reason to drag the whole thread into CA/IMHO

Super.

If black elves or Adira were the only "issues" in their respective shows, I'd be fecking delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just doesn't fit , she just doesn't fit the part , she doesn't have the look or the presence to believe she would be in charge in that type of lawless world ,

Some of it is yes because she is a women but for me its more how she speaks & carries herself just doesn't fit ,

There is also are many Male actor's that wouldn't be believable in the roll like Zach Galifianakis or Daniel Radclifeeor or Seth Rogan & many many more

Sometimes people don't fit the roll

Just because she is a women doesn't mean she can't be called out on being a bad fit for it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭Cordell

Rings of Power, Blood Origin and Star Trek Discovery were so badly received by both critics and audience not because of that, but because the writers and showrunners had no love and respect for the original material, canon and legacy. The Last of Us is the exact opposite of that, and that's why it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The woman straight up shot a doctor.

Seems completely unhinged to me.

I'm sure more will be revealed on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's actually interesting you mention that...

There was a study done on women with malnourished children in some developing country, all these women were obese but their children were malnourished, so they thought the women were keeping the food for themselves, but they were, actually chronically ill with different types of metabolic issues...see if I can dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I agree. They were crap shows with loads of crap plots and acting to talk about.

But for some reason rather than give a critical response to those failings the RoP thread was wall to wall "anti woke shte"

I remember a joke going around about how Picard was unrealistic because 7 sticks a USB into the slot right way up first time round and no one ever does that. I feel like TLoU has the attention to detail to do it correctly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I wonder do FEDRA have a base camp somewhere else . . full of women and children?

I can't imagine Kathleen is the only woman survivor amongst that amount of blokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, but you see the "anti woke brigade" had this point, maybe unknown even to them: in their effort to appeal to the "woke" mob the show producers went and hired writers, actors and showrunners not based on merit and not having a prerequisite condition to be fans or at least knowledgeable of the source material. They hired persons who were proud to be the first black elf (he wasn't) or the first female hobbit (she wasn't) rather than actors being proud of portraying characters created or inspired by Tolkien. Or they hired writers who didn't realize, or didn't care, that their story doesn't fit the Star Trek vision. This is why these shows failed and this is why this particular one didn't: love and respect for source material from everyone involved.

It was the idea that "fandom is toxic" and we shouldn't appeal primarily to them. Well, it didn't work out, and when Star Trek returned to the idea that fandom is what makes it great to begin with they did really well with both fans and critics. And that's also true with The Last of Us

But we digress :)

You had previously suggested that it is unrealistic to have Joel involved in these action sequences like the game, as its unrealistic, I would suggest the whole premise is unrealistic and suspension of disbelief is required.

The violence as you stated is generally happening off screen and being implied , which is precisely why I am saying it lacks the visceral grit of the game.

The game focused just on Joel and Ellies journey, yes they met people along the way but we get everything from Joel and Ellies perspective. Which I really enjoyed and found an interesting dynamic. There was no need to see others story's,and I found that more interesting.

As you said the base stuff is certainly there, but rushed, trying to fit in more narrative around other characters. Which is at the expense of what I consider the most interesting aspects of the story. Joel and Ellies dynamic and the violence of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

God yeah, that's where I saw her before. It was wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He had sold out people to FEDRA no?

So she couldn't trust him, plus it sends out a clear message to anyone who else is considering doing similar I would think.

Yeah; she was questioning him, was going to kill him, he pleads reminding her that he is a doctor, they have an injured person, can't be saved with said doctor, so she kills him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Ah that is probably why I find her so unbelievable as a leader, because i associate her with her character in yellowjackets. Even much better actors have been the victim of typecasting or just associated with one character. I do respect she spent that time on twitter explaing her thinking on the character, she still hasnt had a good first impression for alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

i can’t recall if Melanie Lynskeys character is in the game. I’m also kinda thinking did they swap a farmyard for the ruined city conflict with the same group of humans?

Ive no idea what that moving crater is. Hoping it’s a new thing for the TV show that’s not in the game.

Finding it very hard to enjoy this, my brain keeps going back to the game, parts of which I remember. I vaguely remember the 2 lads at the end.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

I don't get the reaction, tbh. She made a fine first impression. Her Twitter thread made perfect sense. People moaning about it just have very trope-driven expectations of what a "leader" character looks or sounds like imo. She was plenty decisive in her short time on screen.

Post edited by fitz on

I think the your definition of unrealistic is different to mine, as I stated already in a superhero movie if Superman is flying around I don't storm out of the cinema saying this is unrealistic, if Batman unaided, walked up and broke Supermans jaw with a punch and killed him with a headbutt, I would be outraged. TLOU is set in a dystopian time, which could be next week for all we know, you have yet to point out one thing that is unrealistic about the premise. Go talk to people who were regularly in gunfights in Iraq and Afghanistan, they had massive support behind them with air support, artillery, medivacs etc, they will all tell you that there were several times they were seconds from dying every tour. To think a relatively untrained 56 year old and a 14 year old could be running and gunning like a Call of Duty pro is in the land of fairy tales. They just about survived in every encounter so far but you want them to do that more and turn them in Jason Bourne. If he was doing headshot after headshot like in the game it would be ridiculous. I would consider myself an above average gamer and I died plenty of times in both games, so going by your logic the show should end after the first few chapters when the clickers kill them, so it matches the game's 'grittiness'.

As for the off screen killing, take the stabbing for an example, why the hell would you want to see that? When you read a book does someone have to animate the scene for you so it is gritty for you, or do you just use your imagination like most people? The focus hasn't come off their journey 95% of the show time has had one or both of them in it. What more could we know about them to this point? Especially as someone who says they played the game, you should know there is more character development to come, thus far we have seen everything we need to. The Left behind stuff has been included in this so we are actually further along that we were in the game, relationship and character development-wise. You couldn't go off in the game and show stuff like Frank and Bill's story or Kathleen's. As it would be a long cut scene, unless they flipped it like in TLOU 2 and change who you control. In the tv show they can do that and build the world around them, and see why they are motivated. If they spend too long trying to humanise everyone they meet, I will be along side you giving out but so far, outside the Bill and Frank story, it has been short and sharp.

• Advertisement

And as for the off screen killing. You're intentionally put in Ellie's POV.

Joel is trying to protect a young girl from a horrific reality while he can.

People are truly looking for reasons to be outraged, IMO

Advertisement