Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

On the other questions, it really seems like you weren't paying any attention. It was very clear that they both got shot but Sarah took a fatal hit and died. It was also very clear at the end of the episode what was so special about Ellie. It's also very clear that we don't know what happened to Tommy yet - that's part of the story.

Oh I was but you know how it lying in bed watching it on the phone. Its just that it never actually made it clear if she died or not. But obviously she did. A pity that as I thought she was a great character much smarter than the rest of them

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Which is actually fair enough. Sometimes these things are put in place to vary gameplay elements/sections (Like every platformer having the dreaded Ice/water level that everyone hates 😀). These are accepted in game design but would not transfer well. Having said that, I'm sure there will be SOME nod eventually. Maybe they'll have them put on masks simply as physical protection. Some nod and wink to the players. Although I'm glad to see that the nods so far (As described above) are subtle enough to not be distracting to the people who have NOT played the game - No doubt the vast majority. We don't want to hear Ellie shout "NAUGHTY Dog!!!" to a dog and turn to the camera. Hah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think the last time I played the game was a couple of years ago, but I don't remember it being a "big thing" in the game where people had to mask up. I do recall several areas where you had to avoid fungal spores though, which hung in the air. But you certainly play the vast majority of the game without a mask on.

I think it remains to be seen whether the show has a "spore" element to it. We see a dead guy who's body is a husk and I assume that the fungus had lost its infection potential, so Joel and Tess aren't that bothered walking by it. In the game, it's mentioned that the only people that are getting infected in the compound in Boston are the people who are sneaking out. But we don't know yet if the people in the show are only being infected by being bitten.

Sure, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There were some story things linked to having to wear masks, but fair enough maybe "big thing" was the wrong phrase as whatever there was would be easily re-written anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As i said started well and after the jump was pretty borning ,

Doesn't have a patch on the opening episode of TWD "Days gone bye" , A shame that then become a rinse & repeat bore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was wondering about how the little old lady got infected, I didn't pick up the flour reference (I was a bit sleep deprived, so forgive me!).

I really enjoyed the first episode. Pedro Pascal is great as Joel, and Ellie is also great. Was wondering who the hell "Veronica" was, wondering why they had the name change. Or was that supposed to be Ellie trying to lay low?

No more spores was a surprise, but I don't think that will be a major change.

Ellie being able to breathe spores was a plot point in the game at some stages. I wonder how she'll "out" herself as immune when she needs to? Look at this gross scar?

Ellie was telling them her name was Veronica, but Marlene then revealed she knew who she was and knew her name was Ellie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not sure if it was anything to do with Romero (I'd presume so tbh) but I thought it was a pretty elegant way of explaining the "why" of the infection.

Showing that piece in a time before global warming was widely known allowed the scientist to suggest that real world fungi could evolve into something that could attack humans if an environmental trigger such as the world becoming a bit warmer were to happen made it feel like conjecture rather than a simplistic exposition dump. And Jon Hanna was great casting for this, he has a fantastic voice.

Post edited by Sleepy on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thinking about the Fedra officer taking to the kid at the start. When the scanner showed red, she didn't even give a millisecond of 'ah shyte', it was instant warm smile saying he'll be alright. I'm thinking of she's just so used to killing kids or if genuinely relieved they have one less mouth to feed, especially one who can't put in work.

Stark contrast to the worked who couldn't even remove the body from the truck where as Joel was cold, he definitely has an interesting 20 year gap story that's never been fully divulged in the game.

I'd say at this point, the Fedra officers know what'll happen if they don't kill anyone with an infection, so there's probably a bit of satisfaction that they were able to detect it and by killing the boy, they're keeping everyone safe. I'd say in a way they become numb to seeing them as people.

And I'm pretty sure Tess was the worker who couldn't carry the boy (though hard to tell as it was the first time we saw her, she had a mask on etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

I completely missed the flour connection and I watched it twice. I was convinced it was to do with the city as the granny had been to the city so I thought it was just working its way out of there. As for the outing, they showed that at the end or do you mean for the none main characters in the future?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not a plot point, because she's already been told to keep it quiet, but it happens a bit in the game.

In the game Ellie gets her mask broken at one point, which was a big deal to the people with her, who obviously thought she was going to get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think she did, it was a bitter frown then a smile, I had to watch it a couple times to be sure. Or that is what I wanted to see. I don't think anyone can fell relief in this situation no matter how hard they are but also there was no other choice.

Hop straight in. I was expecting a barrage of questions, from my wife, but nothing. It's a fantastic entry into the story.

The only one I got was the near blink and miss it red screen for the boy who wondered in. She missed it and was "why did they kill him?"

Anyone else think that Bella Ramsey happens to look kinda like Ashley Johnson?

I hated the control scheme in The Witcher. So much so that I have never been able to bring myself to play the 3rd game, even though it's meant to be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

From memory it was the noise the bastards made, rather than the look that terrified me.

I thought that was Tess as well but then wasn't her next scene being held in the house. Bit of a weird jump if it was her but it did look like her behind the mask.

Yeah, i think Fedra are being setup to show how ruthless they can be as well though, especially with the hangings if you try to escape the safe zone.

They've missed a beat not releasing the game on PC in time for this. March 3rd I think it will be released

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The woman helping Joel burn bodies wasn't Tess. We only first see Tess sat in a chair with her face pummelled.

• Advertisement

At least it will be 50 quid on pc, the most it should be. Still 80 on PlayStation. Sickened, mad to play it but can't pay 80 after already buying it twice before.

Might spin up Last of Us 2 instead, keep the first game until i actually get the remake on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it's their usual scummy behaviour to make PS exclusives.

Saw this on reddit, someone saying this is in Dundrum shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

‘The Last Of Us’ Becomes HBO’s Second-Largest Debut After ‘House Of The Dragon’ Since 2010 With 4.7M Viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

Ah right. Wasn't completely sure, just presumed the scene of her in the chair with Robert was just later that day or something.

Haven't actually seen the actress in anything before. Was slightly disappointed they didn't keep the Tess actress from the game. I remember her from 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I like Annie Wersching as well but I suppose part of the reason for not keeping her as Tess was because they probably knew people would then complain about them not keeping the original actors for other roles. Of course they complain anyway.

But Anna Torv was in Fringe and, more recently, Mindhunter so I like her as well.

I was fully sure Tess was played by the actress in The Leftovers. Goggled it there and that's Carrie Coon, they're the head off each other. And Annie would have slotted in great to reprise her role but since the remake remodeled Tess to look older, I guess they wanted to stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It was €50 over Christmas in Smyths. I imagine it'll hit that price again at some point soon.

• Advertisement

Yeah, will keep a look out for that. Gamestop offering 40 trade credit so i should have picked it up for 50. I decided to replay the remastered one anyway so i can see the similarities and differences as the episodes come out.

Advertisement