Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it reasonable for the managment company to be banging your door down at 9am

Options
  • 06-03-2020 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Living in a one bedroom apartment . Was awoken at 9am this morning by a loud persistent banging on my door. They knocked 3 times and then rang my phone. I was in bed because I work shift. I opened the door and they basically said they were here to test the fire alarm.There was no notification of this at all. I didn't make a complaint because they are 2 ignorant ****ers that wouldn't have been any way apologetic and would have just gave me a dirty look . I just said grand and let him in . Am I being unreasonable here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Am I being unreasonable here
    No. My landlord gives about 10 days notice in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

There was testing of fire alarms in our place today. There was written notice on the notice board in the lobby for a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

That’s a poor show my management company. While alarm testing is required for system to be certified every year it has to be scheduled in advance so landlord / management company can notify tenants. I will give 2-3 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dompedro

FROM A SECURITY PERSPECTIVE, I WOULD NOT PERMIT ENTRY.
    FROM A MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVE ..MISSING A LEVEL OF PROFESSIONALISM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

If you didnt receive any notice, make a complaint to the mgmt company, and dont let people into your apt without prior agreement.

I assume this was two people form a fire alarm company and not actual agents from the mgmt company?

Also how on earth did they have your mobile number? Who is sharing your personal contact details with third parties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doop wrote: »
    Also how on earth did they have your mobile number? Who is sharing your personal contact details with third parties?

Totally appropriate for them to have it. If the mgmt company contracts someone to do a job they have to provide the information needed to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Totally appropriate for them to have it. If the mgmt company contracts someone to do a job they have to provide the information needed to do the job.

I disagree, the management company can not hand out private information of tenants to unrelated 3rd parties (in this case a fire alarm company) without the tenants consent.

But I am open to correction if you can link to the relevant legislation (MUD act / data protection legislation) which backs up your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I just said grand and let him in
    Get insurance, as anything of value may go missing shortly. This sort of ruse is how undesirables gain access to case the place.

IMO, next time this happens, tell them to contact your LL first. If they don't have your LL's details, I doubt they're legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

It sounds like someone pretended to work for your management company to gain access to your house.

I've never heard of unprecedented visits from contractors on behalf of a management company. Of course it's entirely plausible that it is the case; but give your landlord a call just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doop wrote: »
    I disagree, the management company can not hand out private information of tenants to unrelated 3rd parties (in this case a fire alarm company) without the tenants consent.

But I am open to correction if you can link to the relevant legislation (MUD act / data protection legislation) which backs up your claim.

We don't know if the OP is an owner-occupier or a tenant.

If they are an owner occupier, then providing access, and providing contact details to facilitate access will be part of the conditions of the leasehold which they purchased. Managing agents often contract 3rd parties to perform certain types of maintenance on their behalf, and exchange of contact information is part of the deal.

If they are a tenant, then it should also be part of the rental agreement - though many landlords don't actually bother. (But if you're a tenant, the next time you need a plumber etc, I will bet that the LL gives your phone number to the plumber so that s/he can arrange access directly with you.)

I agree that it's either very poor form of the management-agent not to have informed owners, or of the OP's landlord not to have informed their tenant - or that it could be dodgy as fúck. (Actually, them having the OP's phone number makes it less likely to be dodgy, more likely to be just unprofessional.)

But it's almost certainly not a data-protection issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

the_syco wrote: »
    Get insurance, as anything of value may go missing shortly. This sort of ruse is how undesirables gain access to case the place.

The OPs apartment won't be robbed. People who are out there robbing peoples apartments aren't going to the trouble of finding out what their mobile number is to ring them when they are outside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Very concerning that you let strangers into your home on such a weak story and no Id check or verification. Never be afraid to challenge and refuse regardless of what someone says.

Advertisement