Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Situational judgement:

(caveat - not official, just my view, but based on experience)

Oversimplified example: there is a spider in the toilet.

1. You need to solve the problem. So, any solution that still has the spider in the toilet at the end will score very poorly. Rank those at the bottom. This is really important and will reduce the number of options.

2. Don't cause a media ****storm or embarrass the Minister

3. Don't cause an international diplomatic incident or interdepartmental row (example angry email to embassy of spider-country saying how cross the Minister is that such a spider from their country is in one of her Departmental toilets)

4. Don't cause an industrial relations disaster (example, shouting at staff in front of customers because they are afraid to go in and deal with menacing spider).

5. You need to be a good judge of what you can handle yourself vs. what you should delegate (upward or downward) at this grade. So, for instance, texting the Secretary General to inform them of the spider in the toilet problem and ask for their views would be a poor answer (unless the spider is a Sec Gen grade issue for some reason - maybe a radioactive spider :p). Sending a terrified Clerical Officer in alone to deal with the spider and all the angry customers in the queue to use the toilet, while you hide in the back and grab a coffee, would also be bad judgment as it fails to show leadership and abdicates responsibility.

6. Show good judgement in maintaining relationships (example emailing everyone saying how crap the maintenance people are since they failed to keep the spider out would be bad)

7. Lift your head and look beyond the immediate problem - is there a way to stop this happening again?

Numbers 2-7 are all subject to 1. But show good judgement in applying any exceptions - the top ranking answer will be the one that solves the problem safely and quickly while creating the least number of other issues under 2-7. The bottom answer is the one that leaves the spider in the toilet at the end. The rest are ranked by how many other problems (or how serious) you create on your way to the solution.

Of course the above is exaggerated, but illustrates some of the principles involved. The right answer will change by grade. This is an AP exam, so AP judgement is expected. There are probably things I've forgotten, but hopefully it will be of some help to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 2not4get

I did the video interview for the AO competition in May, for that interview they gave the 4 questions you would need to answer in advance. They send you the link for the interview and you record each question individually. You get a couple of attempts at answering the question and when happy you press upload. You can then take time before answering the next question but they do advise to answer all questions in one sitting.

Just practise as much as possible with phone once you have prepared your answers so you are comfortable with hearing and pretty much looking at yourself....and it will be ok.

I used my phone to record the interview and had my notes beside me also. It is hard to inject personality into it but guess that is not the point of it.

Best of luck to all moving forward in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

2not4get wrote: »
    I did the video interview for the AO competition in May, for that interview they gave the 4 questions you would need to answer in advance. They send you the link for the interview and you record each question individually. You get a couple of attempts at answering the question and when happy you press upload. You can then take time before answering the next question but they do advise to answer all questions in one sitting.

Just practise as much as possible with phone once you have prepared your answers so you are comfortable with hearing and pretty much looking at yourself....and it will be ok.

I used my phone to record the interview and had my notes beside me also. It is hard to inject personality into it but guess that is not the point of it.

Best of luck to all moving forward in the competition.
    Out of interest did you get through to next stage or if not, gain insight into where you went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheStuka

I received an OOM just over 100 on the Inter D and in over the 160 mark for the Open competition . My points tally was 128. So I'm happy to have passed and to make batch one. In 2018 my OOM was 30 odd and 60 odd respectively. Overall, it's a tough process ,I fell in 2018 during form shortlisting ,despite a good exam OOM (I didn't spend much time and effort editing my examples to be fair - was copy and paste job). This is my second attempt . So for people down the list in later batches I wouldn't be too disheartened, you may have a better chance than batch 1 people do. if your application and interview are comprehensive and effective you have a great chance no matter your initial OOM. The exam is the first hurdle of many. I am not too worried about interviews in person ,however this record yourself and upload it seems strange,almost artificial. About the numeric reasoning, I found the graphics and charts furnished by the exam company terrible , very low resolution, hard to read with the low quality. I just scraped through the Maths this time. I spoke to a PAS ex official (test programmer) a few years ago and was advised Numeric reasoning doesn't count anymore so as to ensure a Gender Balance. Ive performed well enough in situational awareness (only recently) by being decisive, and considering each question in isolation , not thinking "oh does this contradict my earlier answers". In a nutshell, happy I passed, but shortlisting may be another matter . Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Scored 123 which puts me 237 on the order of merit - Interdepartmental and 356 - Open competition.

Won't hold my breath being outside Dublin!

Shows how few are being brought forward.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on further panels. Seems to me they are running the comp because they announced it Pre covid but of they had of held off the 2 years from the 2018 panel expiring in October this would not be going ahead.

I passed with a better score than 2018 which at the time got me into batch 2 but I don't stand a chance this time.

Good luck to all who passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

dee75 wrote: »
    Got 113 but am regional applicant, so will be waiting a long while anyway.

Well done to all who passed and commiserations to those who didn't get through this time around.

I see the next stage is video shortlisting so it will be interesting to hear how Batch 1 Dublin candidates find that.

How did you find the tests this year Dee? I was utterly convinced I failed the numerical but passed. Did a little worse on SA & VA than before but the difference in score & OOM is mad! Also regional so I’d say it’s curtains for me this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

Well to say I am shocked to have passed the numerical is an absolute understatement.
    I usually barely pass but hope that I have. This time I barely understood any graphs - really few - but passed by a few marks!

I managed to score 9 less on VA this time than 2018. I’m
    Going to blame the head-fry from having no childcare or free time for that!! I usually ace this one:
    SA almost the same score yet my OOM is 1000 higher & score a good bit down!!

This comp really is hard & challenging in so many ways!
    Well done to all that scored high - I’ll take a Pandemic- pass for now! Don’t see them getting to my batch in these times. I’d imagine it’s very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Remind me wrote: »
    Shows how few are being brought forward.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on further panels. Seems to me they are running the comp because they announced it Pre covid but of they had of held off the 2 years from the 2018 panel expiring in October this would not be going ahead.

I passed with a better score than 2018 which at the time got me into batch 2 but I don't stand a chance this time.

Good luck to all who passed.

I’d be more hopeful.

They’re taking roughly 250 forward. A proportion of those will be knocked out on each of video interview, shortlisting, etray & in person tests (assuming they do this), interview. At most 100 will get through, more likely less than 50. Even with a strict embargo there will be more new APs than that needed over the next 2 years.

It won’t move at the lightning speed of the last panel but there’ll be at least one more batch.

Out of interest did you get through to next stage or if not, gain insight into where you went wrong?

I did get through to the next stage but I don't know what that is yet and received no feedback from the video interview unfortunately.

I went with the STAR method to give my answers some structure and I really did try to learn the answers off to be honest. It was intimidating at first but once I got into it then it was grand, just like practising recording yourself giving a presentation.

- You get to practise on an example question first so you can get the camera angle ok. This does not get uploaded (well it says it does not get uploaded!)
    - As far as I remember once you press start for the first question then the question appears on the screen for approx. a min and then it automatically starts recording.
    - You can take as much time between the questions as you want, so there is a chance to review what you plan to say for the next question.

It was pretty straightforward but if anyone has any questions let me know...assuming the AP video interview will be the same

2not4get wrote: »
    I did get through to the next stage but I don't know what that is yet and received no feedback from the video interview unfortunately.

I went with the STAR method to give my answers some structure and I really did try to learn the answers off to be honest. It was intimidating at first but once I got into it then it was grand, just like practising recording yourself giving a presentation.

- You get to practise on an example question first so you can get the camera angle ok. This does not get uploaded (well it says it does not get uploaded!)
    - As far as I remember once you press start for the first question then the question appears on the screen for approx. a min and then it automatically starts recording.
    - You can take as much time between the questions as you want, so there is a chance to review what you plan to say for the next question.

It was pretty straightforward but if anyone has any questions let me know...assuming the AP video interview will be the same

Also they skipped the supervised testing for the AO competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

How did you find the tests this year Dee? I was utterly convinced I failed the numerical but passed. Did a little worse on SA & VA than before but the difference in score & OOM is mad! Also regional so I’d say it’s curtains for me this time.

You know, I am always worried about numerical as it's my weakest from previous competitions so I concentrated on practising it to the total exclusion of the other two.

And I got 71 in numerical!!! Couldn't believe it. But regretting giving it so much attention now, because I went down on the other two! Ah well, I still passed so I can't really be too upset.

Overall I found numerical significantly easier this time than before. I got all 18 questions done, which I never achieved before. The practice must have done wonders for me.

By way of comparison, here are my scores from stage 1 from 2016, 2018 and 2020.

Verbal - 66 73 59

Numerical - 48 54 71

Sit Judgment - 62 56 54

In 2018, the second batch called was for regional candidates with score of 106 and over, and we were called to Stage 2 about 4.5 months after Stage 1 results.

It looks like there have been some really good results. So fair play to those who have ranked highly and best of luck in stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Adman13

Do we know how many applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sarachryan

My OOM was 18.
    Does that have any bearing going forward? Or is it merely relevant to accessing next stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 whrc

Thank you all for your posts; I read my results this afternoon and thought I was out of the running for this competition. Having read posts here it seems there might be the prospect of a call in a later batch. I scored 117, on 729 in OOM. Selected Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheStuka

sarachryan wrote: »
    My OOM was 18.
    Does that have any bearing going forward? Or is it merely relevant to accessing next stage?

That's really good you are in the top 1% however unfortunately OOM has no bearing if you don't do well enough in the video interviews ,etray etc. But I am sure you will do well. OOM is just really to see who gets to attend the next stage first.

Adman13 wrote: »
    Do we know how many applied?

No but at least 2200 as someone further back posted an OOM in around this.

whrc wrote: »
    Thank you all for your posts; I read my results this afternoon and thought I was out of the running for this competition. Having read posts here it seems there might be the prospect of a call in a later batch. I scored 117, on 729 in OOM. Selected Dublin.
    Well done, I got 116 and in the low 800s. I expect to be called around xmas hopefully!
    I wonder how a 1 point score difference can make almost 100 difference in OOM?? Maybe timing to complete answers comes into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭speedygirl

Guys.1st time to apply. Regional Open comp. Scored 720 OOM. What do you think my chances are of been called to stage two (those who have applied before )

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dasi

TheStuka wrote: »
    I received an OOM just over 100 on the Inter D and in over the 160 mark for the Open competition . My points tally was 128.

===

I scored 127 and have OOM of 203 for Open- shows how much a little difference can make!

Ref video interview- for Dept. Foreign Affairs and Trade, 1st Secretary (AP equivalent) in 2018 competition this involved recording answers to three competency based questions. You have a test go and possibly the chance to re-record (I can’t remember!).

Ref regionals- I’ve been #1 in Clare (started at #2) and #4 in Limerick (started at #6) from the 2018 Open completion and not been called (hence reapplying for this completion). Very little movement in these regions- so may be comparable elsewhere. They expended the Dublin panel from 2018 and then asked if anyone from regions would be willing to be considered for Dublin.

All the best everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Dasi wrote: »
    TheStuka wrote: »
    I received an OOM just over 100 on the Inter D and in over the 160 mark for the Open competition . My points tally was 128.

===

I scored 127 and have OOM of 203 for Open- shows how much a little difference can make!

Ref video interview- for Dept. Foreign Affairs and Trade, 1st Secretary (AP equivalent) in 2018 competition this involved recording answers to three competency based questions. You have a test go and possibly the chance to re-record (I can’t remember!).

Ref regionals- I’ve been #1 in Clare (started at #2) and #4 in Limerick (started at #6) from the 2018 Open completion and not been called (hence reapplying for this completion). Very little movement in these regions- so may be comparable elsewhere. They expended the Dublin panel from 2018 and then asked if anyone from regions would be willing to be considered for Dublin.

All the best everyone!

That is a disaster, you would think limerick would be high enough recruitment wise, Clare might be harder due to low number of AP's, I would imagine but still with those sort of numbers on a 2 year panel you would think that there would be more movement, best of luck this time. Very hard after all the effort it takes to get on a panel not to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

whrc wrote: »

I also scored 117 with an OOM of 729.

Does this mean there could be tens of applicants on each OOM value?

I also scored 117 with an OOM of 729.

Does this mean there could be tens of applicants on each OOM value?

A few maybe, but hopefully not tens! Stands to reason that out of 4-5k applicants (my guess of number, not fact based!) that some of us would get the same scores in each of the tests and therefore same points. I wonder does timing come into the scores. PAS always say to work quickly and accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 whrc

Well done, I got 116 and in the low 800s. I expect to be called around xmas hopefully!
    I wonder how a 1 point score difference can make almost 100 difference in OOM?? Maybe timing to complete answers comes into it?

Thank you! Don't know how the OOM difference comes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

I scored 101 which gave me oom of 1,329 for Dublin. Doubt il ever be called

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭moneymaid

Can anyone tell me how it works if you pass everything and get offered AP?
    Do you have any choice in what Dept you go to?
    If say your preference was DEASP and you were offered Transport can you say no and wait for DEASP? Or do you take Transport and put in for a transfer? All above within Dublin.

Kanovara wrote: »

My partner scored around the same in 2016 for Dublin and was called and successful a year later. Will depend if they annouce a moratorium, in which case we could all be hard pressed to get something. :rolleyes:

moneymaid wrote: »
    Do you have any choice in what Dept you go to?
    If say your preference was DEASP and you were offered Transport can you say no and wait for DEASP? Or do you take Transport and put in for a transfer? All above within Dublin.

Depends if you are internal or external. In my experience- external gets offers a position in Dublin in X department. If they know they have 10 vacancies to fill they will look at the next ten candidates and try and match them as best they can to experience/ qualifications. This isn't always possible. You can only reject the job based on location, which won't happen as you have agreed Dublin and you are being offered Dublin.

If you are internal, you could let your own HR know that you are on the Open panel and they can try and take you when your number comes up.

The departments are suppoed to recruit 1 open person, 1 interdepartmental and 1 internal. Sometimes they can end up 'owing' vacancies to one panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭moneymaid

Depends if you are internal or external. In my experience- external gets offers a position in Dublin in X department. If they know they have 10 vacancies to fill they will look at the next ten candidates and try and match them as best they can to experience/ qualifications. This isn't always possible. You can only reject the job based on location, which won't happen as you have agreed Dublin and you are being offered Dublin.

If you are internal, you could let your own HR know that you are on the Open panel and they can try and take you when your number comes up.

The departments are suppoed to recruit 1 open person, 1 interdepartmental and 1 internal. Sometimes they can end up 'owing' vacancies to one panel.

That's great, thanks very much.
    I'm external.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

moneymaid wrote: »
    Do you have any choice in what Dept you go to? On the open panel, no.
    If say your preference was DEASP and you were offered Transport can you say no and wait for DEASP? No. If you refuse an offer, that's it.
    Or do you take Transport and put in for a transfer? After passing your probation and working for two years whereever you're assigned, you could then try for a head-to-head transfer (which is dependent on finding someone else willing to transfer and the agreement of both Departments), or hope they have opened phase 2 of the mobility scheme by then, which will allow for APOs to move geographic location.

Answers in bold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

Kanovara wrote: »

Hi Kanovara,

Just wondering about your post. Is your OOM position for the Open or Interdepartmental comp?

Advertisement