Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Yes, I mailed PAS this morning. I'm awaiting their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

griffid wrote: »
    Congratulations on your score, you did really well! I’m hoping to be in batch 2 but with some of what’s been said on here, my confidence is dwindling and I’m rating my chances as more likely to be batch 3 or 4 if they go that far. I picked Dublin and a region though so maybe I’ll be high enough on the regional to be called.

This might have been answered already but what was the cut-off for batch 1 in 2018 if batch 2 was 106?
    What number did you get this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

griffid wrote: »
    Congratulations on your score, you did really well! I’m hoping to be in batch 2 but with some of what’s been said on here, my confidence is dwindling and I’m rating my chances as more likely to be batch 3 or 4 if they go that far. I picked Dublin and a region though so maybe I’ll be high enough on the regional to be called.

This might have been answered already but what was the cut-off for batch 1 in 2018 if batch 2 was 106?

Hi griffid

I looked back through Public Jobs messages and the cut-off for Batch 1 was a score of 114 or higher, and it was for those who has selected Dublin, Kildare and Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

dee75 wrote: »
    Hi griffid

I looked back through Public Jobs messages and the cut-off for Batch 1 was a score of 114 or higher, and it was for those who has selected Dublin, Kildare and Meath.

Hi dee75, do you remember how many batches were called to 2nd stage in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Any idea when the country folk will be called to stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Any idea when the country folk will be called to stage 2?

I was called to Stage 2. Outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

An Ri rua wrote: »

Interesting. Care to share what county you were called for?
    Is it the same process, all applicants with a score of 126 or higher were called for interview in your county?

Interesting. Care to share what county you were called for?
    Is it the same process, all applicants with a score of 126 or higher were called for interview in your county?

Same process, except that mails for Open and InterD both said Dublin for Stage 2. But I chose 2 Dublin commuter counties. I won't argue.

I note that 1 of the 3 online questions relate to Managerial Experience and must be passed. In advance of taking the actual test, can I clarify whether this relates to managing people, managing tasks/projects or both?
    The competencies for this grade include "Leadership" and "Management and Delivery of results" and I'm trying to clarify which competency this questions falls under.
    I was aware we get the 3 questions in advance, just didn't realise it was 1 min 30 sec's in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Milenauno wrote: »
    Hi dee75, do you remember how many batches were called to 2nd stage in 2018?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure. From memory they called a mix of regional and Dublin as Batch 2. Then they definitely called at least one more batch but I'm not sure if they were Dublin only or mixed. If you have the time to trawl through it, the 2018 thread will give you a better idea of later batches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

poundhound wrote: »
    I note that 1 of the 3 online questions relate to Managerial Experience and must be passed. In advance of taking the actual test, can I clarify whether this relates to managing people, managing tasks/projects or both?
    The competencies for this grade include "Leadership" and "Management and Delivery of results" and I'm trying to clarify which competency this questions falls under.
    I was aware we get the 3 questions in advance, just didn't realise it was 1 min 30 sec's in advance.

Where are you getting 1 min and 30 seconds?
    The 3 questions were sent in the Familiarisation material sent last week. Just before the ‘general’ section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

MrsBean wrote: »
    Where are you getting 1 min and 30 seconds?
    The 3 questions were sent in the Familiarisation material sent last week. Just before the ‘general’ section.

This! The questions are in the familiarisation word doc they sent on Friday.

As mentioned earlier today, I didn't receive the familiarisation e-mail sent last Friday.

However I have just received it now, hence the confusion.

Cheers all.

Sorry - would have sent it to ye if ye’d asked 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭InsideEdge

Any advice on the best approach to recording the videos - memorise the answers and hope to remember them or read off a screen? I don't trust my memory as I think my nerves will go but reading from a screen looks very stilted...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

InsideEdge wrote: »
    Any advice on the best approach to recording the videos - memorise the answers and hope to remember them or read off a screen? I don't trust my memory as I think my nerves will go but reading from a screen looks very stilted...

Everyone is different, but in a situation like that, I'd liken it to giving a presentation. So write out what you want to say, in full, then summarise that as bullet points on index cards. Tape those next to monitor. Practice!

Everyone is different, but in a situation like that, I'd liken it to giving a presentation. So write out what you want to say, in full, then summarise that as bullet points on index cards. Tape those next to monitor. Practice!
    Many thanks, that is great advice. Now, just to write out the answers...

What counties did you choose? I selected Galway and Westmeath and nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Where were you placed on the OOM? and What counties?

Irishder wrote: »
    Where were you placed on the OOM? and What counties?

Almost at the top of the OOM and, as stated earlier, Dublin commuter counties.

• Advertisement

Almost at the top of the OOM and, as stated earlier, Dublin commuter counties.

No offence, but Dublin commuter counties is probably 12 counties covering all 4 provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

No offence, but Dublin commuter counties is probably 12 counties covering all 4 provinces.

MYOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

What are the questions?

Addle wrote: »
    MYOB.

Thanks. It would just be nice to know what areas people are being called from. I don't think stating the names of 2 counties is giving away much of anyones business. Anyway, there are a lot of helpful replies on this thread and some not so helpful.

Anyone have any thoughts about doing this on the app on an ipad vs doing it on a laptop?

My laptop has a pretty crap webcam whilst the ipad is much clearer. I've noticed before that it looks like someone is looking right at you on a skype call on the tablet (due to camera placement) vs on the pc where looking at yourself on screen looks like you're looking 'away' from the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

billyhead wrote: »
    What number did you get this time around?

Scored 108. OOM of 1496 and 950 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The Third Policeman

Any idea how this one operates? Is it just the video interview and then a placement (or not) on a panel, or is there more stages after the video interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marie_C

Best of luck to everyone who got through to stage 1. Great advice on treating it like a presentation from an earlier poster. My friend completed it over the weekend and had practised recording themselves as a video on the phone, seemed to work well for them as a trial & confidence method.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Any idea how this one operates? Is it just the video interview and then a placement (or not) on a panel, or is there more stages after the video interview?

as far as I understand it the video element in stage two is a means of shortlisting to get to the next stage

• Advertisement

Marie_C wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone who got through to stage 1. Great advice on treating it like a presentation from an earlier poster. My friend completed it over the weekend and had practised recording themselves as a video on the phone, seemed to work well for them as a trial & confidence method.
    Thanks Marie, I think the app on the phone seems to be better - the microphone on my laptop makes me sound as if I'm under water!

Advertisement