Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

InsideEdge wrote: »
    My Department has just announced an internal AP competition so there are a lot of vacancies to be filled. There are quite a number of POs and APs retiring in the next few months so I can't see any moratorium on hiring staff. There may well be pay cuts/freezes but the unions have heard nothing yet and there is a scheduled pay increase in October.

Mine too😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cimictus

SFC1895 wrote: »
    That sounds very positive, hopefully there will be movement on that. I did hear anecdotally that a lot of new POs are being lined up for our place, God help them.

However sooner or later, expect a moratorium of some kind. Not all vacancies will be filled and Departments will be requested to make savings.

You're already an AP, but there is a lot of us here acutely aware of the impending downturn, we're not blind to it, and we are all anxiously waiting for results of this current competition.

I appreciate pragmatism, but you appear to be overly negative. Two upcoming internal comps already in the replies to you as well as this competition.

Maybe try to be a bit aware of your audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

cimictus wrote: »
    You're already an AP, but there is a lot of us here acutely aware of the impending downturn, we're not blind to it, and we are all anxiously waiting for results of this current competition.

I appreciate pragmatism, but you appear to be overly negative. Two upcoming internal comps already in the replies to you as well as this competition.

Maybe try to be a bit aware of your audience!

Maybe so- hopefully you are spot on on this. All the best with the competition!

SFC1895 wrote: »
    Maybe so- hopefully you are spot on on this. All the best with the competition!

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying we're already aware of the precarious economic situation, and what happened to the social services previously.

However, the 'god help' them comment was a bit much, and you just cant seem to leave people have their positivity.

I don't even know why you feel the need to keep saying it when you you are already an AP too.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

cimictus wrote: »
    I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying we're already aware of the precarious economic situation, and what happened to the social services previously.

However, the 'god help' them comment was a bit much, and you just cant seem to leave people have their positivity.

I don't even know why you feel the need to keep saying it when you you are already an AP too.

Apologies, won't post again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What on earth are you talking about? ‘Seems pretty clear’. It’s actually the exact opposite - if you listen to the consistent messages coming from Government, there’s talk of strengthening the CS and investing in the CS/PS.

Worth pointing out that PER briefed the Minister on this very topic as outlined here. Obviously, it would be irresponsible of them not to do this, and no decision has yet been made, but the idea of a moratorium is not quite as implausible as your outrage suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I think has gotten a big OTT. One of the reasons these threads are so useful is that existing APs who have been successful in previous comps come on here to give their advice and feedback.

I don’t think any of what’s been said veers into the mean or overly negative. Telling people who aren’t active in this comp to not post isn’t helpful and for what it’s worth I certainly don’t support it (and I’ve skin in the game).

I’ve invested many many hours and rec leave into this comp and I’m hopeful of getting past shortlisting. But I’m not blind to the broader economic circumstances and as much as people are being advised repeatedly in this thread on how far down the OOM they went last time, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to point out the potential impact of the dire state of the public finances this time round.

I don’t think it should derail the thread but I think we all need to calibrate our expectations.

quad_red wrote: »
    I think has gotten a big OTT. One of the reasons these threads are so useful is that existing APs who have been successful in previous comps come on here to give their advice and feedback.

I don’t think any of what’s been said veers into the mean or overly negative. Telling people who aren’t active in this comp to not post isn’t helpful and for what it’s worth I certainly don’t support it (and I’ve skin in the game).

I’ve invested many many hours and rec leave into this comp and I’m hopeful of getting past shortlisting. But I’m not blind to the broader economic circumstances and as much as people are being advised repeatedly in this thread on how far down the OOM they went last time, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to point out the potential impact of the dire state of the public finances this time round.

I don’t think it should derail the thread but I think we all need to calibrate our expectations.

If you read my comments, instead of trying to twist them, you will see I didnt tell them not to comment at all.

I also didnt say that we are unaware of the economic issues facing us and I didnt say we should be blind. Nor did I say it was unreasonable to point out, I think repeatedly pointing it out is unnecessary. I just felt that particular user was overly negative and not actually posting anything as an AP that would help us in this competition. ie. 'God help them' about new POs & the insistence on commenting something negative everytime after someone tried to be positive.

But thanks for your input, and I also have 'skin in the game'.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭moneymaid

Has anyone that completed the interviews for this heard anything back yet?

moneymaid wrote: »

Nope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

For anyone who submitted their video interview, were you given any indication of when you’d hear back?

I’m filling in the Comms AP form. It’s supposed to be competency based but seems to be asking you to list your experience instead of examples.

For anyone who submitted their video interview, were you given any indication of when you’d hear back?

I’m filling in the Comms AP form. It’s supposed to be competency based but seems to be asking you to list your experience instead of examples.

No indication as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭InsideEdge

moneymaid wrote: »
    Not a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

I think it likely that PAS have the scores together by now and OOM but may be holding off as unlikely the next stage will be held in August as I would think due to annual leave for applicants and PAS.

Only a month since the video interview so not that long in scheme of public service recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vlthap

Hi folks, I got 116 in the original scores so was just outside the first batch.

Does anyone know from previous AP competitions is it likely that the second batch will be interviewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

It's highly likely however who knows what the future holds. Your best bet is to forget about the competition and just continue with life. Once/if it comes up, you'll be notified but checking emails every day will just send you mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheStuka

Fair enough I did say in my opinion. I don't think you can classify writing 500 words as a 'soundbite' drafting good accurate documents is a real skill that is necessary day to day in the CS. Again it is my subjective view. Stakeholder engagement and communication skills are very important. Nevertheless, talking into a camera could be considered artificial and scripted, there is no nuance nor thinking on your feet measured. It is age discriminatory I think from two perspectives. (A) as I work in the tech area i couldn't get chrome working without disabling some settings. (B) More senior staff wouldn't be used to Tik Tok or Snapchat, but used to more human to human interaction in My opinion.
    MrsBean wrote: »
    How is it age discriminatory? The use of a website to record a video? I would think in this day and age a reasonable grasp of technology is something that would be desired, if not required, of an AP in a modernising civil service. The website was very easy to use and PAS allowed for technical difficulties. It was simply an un-interupted recording of a competency answer. Not all that different to a written 'soundbite' in 500 words on an application form, just delivered in a different way.

Also, it is my understanding that those who get through this stage will still have to do a face-to-face interview/video interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

TheStuka wrote: »
    (A) as I work in the tech area i couldn't get chrome working without disabling some settings. (B) More senior staff wouldn't be used to Tik Tok or Snapchat, but used to more human to human interaction in My opinion.

It's generally not the 20- or 30-somethings you have to repeatedly say "No, you're still muted" to on a Zoom call, all right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Fair enough I did say in my opinion. I don't think you can classify writing 500 words as a 'soundbite' drafting good accurate documents is a real skill that is necessary day to day in the CS. Again it is my subjective view. Stakeholder engagement and communication skills are very important. Nevertheless, talking into a camera could be considered artificial and scripted, there is no nuance nor thinking on your feet measured. It is age discriminatory I think from two perspectives. (A) as I work in the tech area i couldn't get chrome working without disabling some settings. (B) More senior staff wouldn't be used to Tik Tok or Snapchat, but used to more human to human interaction in My opinion.

Honestly, if someone can't apply themselves enough to get a video recording working, they shouldn't be applying for the role.

I do get what you're saying about it being confusing in some cases to make sure it's working at first, but at the end of the day its just about explaining a competency to the camera, nothing mind-blowing.

In saying that, I'd definitely prefer a real-life interview for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I have an internal AP interview on Thursday. We were given the option of in-person or virtual meeting. I chose the virtual meeting as I suppose it's the way things are going so I might as well get with it. I would prefer in person but I feel like it might be frowned upon to go in person. I don't want to be seen as a laggard. Anyway, I doubt I have much hope. I've been to so many interviews now I always compare it to Red in the Shawshank Redemption going up in front of the parole board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have an internal AP interview on Thursday. We were given the option of in-person or virtual meeting. I chose the virtual meeting as I suppose it's the way things are going so I might as well get with it. I would prefer in person but I feel like it might be frowned upon to go in person. I don't want to be seen as a laggard. Anyway, I doubt I have much hope. I've been to so many interviews now I always compare it to Red in the Shawshank Redemption going up in front of the parole
    board.

Red eventually gets out!best of luck!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Red eventually gets out!best of luck!

Thanks, but even if I get through this interview, there's a second interview and a presentation to be done then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Thanks, but even if I get through this interview, there's a second interview and a presentation to be done then.

The fact you've gotten to the interview stage so many times definitely means that you've got something there

Best of luck

I take your point, true they should have brains to sort out a technical camera issue. But i still don't see what the recording element measures. If presentation confidence etc. Will be measured at a later stage. What's it adding or measuring to the process? face to face or remote interviews all the way would be preferable. I am just thinking in terms of people say with 30 + years service going for AP (not myself). I've worked with senior management barristers etc. who need everything printed off. they were very sharp and good managers mind you. Perhaps i am not evidencing my point convincingly here!! No AP position for me :D
    Honestly, if someone can't apply themselves enough to get a video recording working, they shouldn't be applying for the role.

I do get what you're saying about it being confusing in some cases to make sure it's working at first, but at the end of the day its just about explaining a competency to the camera, nothing mind-blowing.

In saying that, I'd definitely prefer a real-life interview for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I suppose it's not that the recording measures anything per se, but that it helps PAS to whittle down numbers to the next stage providing you give a decent answer that hits what they're looking for. I think you're focusing on what the recording 'measures' and not on the fact that it makes the process quicker/easier for PAS to move through, particularly in these remote working times.

For what it's worth I think the video demonstrates your verbal and personal communication skills.

Or it could be argued demonstrates how well you can practice something by rote or reading off a sticky note under the camera. Is this what we want? Country is probably going to be in a mess the next couple of years economically! We need to start getting lateral thinkers not actors in at AP level, and im not claiming to be any great thinker btw.
    MrsBean wrote: »
    I suppose it's not that the recording measures anything per se, but that it helps PAS to whittle down numbers to the next stage providing you give a decent answer that hits what they're looking for. I think you're focusing on what the recording 'measures' and not on the fact that it makes the process quicker/easier for PAS to move through, particularly in these remote working times.

For what it's worth I think the video demonstrates your verbal and personal communication skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Or it could be argued demonstrates how well you can practice something by rote or reading off a sticky note under the camera. Is this what we want? Country is probably going to be in a mess the next couple of years economically! We need to start getting lateral thinkers not actors in at AP level, and im not claiming to be any great thinker btw.

You still have to complete a full interview with human beings after that so practicing things by rote you'll be caught out. They may also still use the presentation exercise at that stage too so you'll have to demonstrate critical thinking there too. I think you're getting bogged down in one element of a long process. Fair enough if you didn't like it. I just think it's a stretch to claim it is age discriminatory. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Adman13

Results for video in there. They say I didn't have required management experience which is odd given I've 10+ years and explained it in the video but there you go! Best of luck to all who go through!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Adman13 wrote: »
    Results for video in there. They say I didn't have required management experience which is odd given I've 10+ years and explained it in the video but there you go! Best of luck to all who go through!

Yeah, same with me:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Adman13 wrote: »

Hard luck, I suppose its the luck of the draw, does anyone know what the video interview was ranked out of ?

Advertisement