Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

starringme wrote: »
    In any case I think it's a good chance to show the leadership/management sub competency of self reflection.

It might be, but it's not marked, so I wouldn't worry about it too much either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I also did it in the last hour or so...pretty unrealistic scenario IMHO and had my brain frazzled at the end of it.

What was the basic thrust of the scenario?

Last one I did (previous competition) was essentially "You've just joined this business unit. Here are some background documents on the work of the unit.

Your boss now wants you to write a review of the unit and - based on nothing else but an email and those docs - outline the challenges and the strategic direction we should be following."

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

I think there is a few earlier posts here with useful information on the scenario.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get the Etray results?
    What was the basic thrust of the scenario?

Last one I did (previous competition) was essentially "You've just joined this business unit. Here are some background documents on the work of the unit.

Your boss now wants you to write a review of the unit and - based on nothing else but an email and those docs - outline the challenges and the strategic direction we should be following."

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

I think there is a few earlier posts here with useful information on the scenario.

Got my results for etray 12 days after sitting exercise. The way this competition is moving expect to hear back within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

I reckon 4th or 8th for results :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is there a list of questions for APO's available anywhere?

The headings are:

Strategy Management and Change
    Delivering Results
    Performance through People

Then there is personal effectiveness, but I assume I just need to match my qualifications and experience with the job spec for one.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

Got my etray results exactly 12 days after closing date of etray (etray 4 Feb, results 16 Feb). Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

Lux23 wrote: »

The headings are:

Delivering Results

Then there is personal effectiveness, but I assume I just need to match my qualifications and experience with the job spec for one.

Thank you!

Hi, not sure what you mean by, 'is there a list of questions for AP?' What stage are you at? PAS send you familiarisation booklet for each stage, also look at the AP competency framework https://www.publicjobs.ie/documents/PAS_CS_Competency_Models_2017.pdf

Whatever stage you are at, if you look back through this thread there is great help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have been called for an interview; it isn't a panel though, it's a role in a state body.

I will take a look at the booklet; thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lux23 wrote: »

The headings are:

Delivering Results

Thank you!

These are the Public Service/County Council competencies, rather than the Civil Service competencies, by the look of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

Just got invited for a video interview, I know there is a wealth of information on this thread so won't look for top tips, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

batman007 wrote: »
    Just got invited for a video interview, I know there is a wealth of information on this thread so won't look for top tips, haha!

Congrats, where have you been called for? I just got called too, for Wexford. Best of luck to you and as you said, there is so much great information available on this thread.

First choice Dublin and second choice Offaly. Is there a way to know which it's for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Also just got called for interview for Dublin. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭crinkley

I got called too and I have galway and Westmeath down. I actually thought it was for the policy analyst AP role in waiting for an interview for until I saw the posts here and double checked

HannahR31 wrote: »
    I don't know how much I should admit to this but if you set up well you can fully read it and still look like you're looking at the camera... I had my answers on a word document on my laptop. I then used the laptop screen to prop up my phone to record the videos; so the answers were just to the right of the camera. I didn't intend to fully read the answers but I ended up doing pretty much that and I passed; have been an AP now for 4 weeks.

Pro-tip here :)

I submitted my video responses yesterday.

This was my approach.

Review the application form and update some examples.

Review the competencies (particularly Leadership, Management and Delivery of Results, and Analysis and Decision-making) so that I made sure my updated examples still hit all of the bullet points. I might have done it right, I might not. That's what I was aiming for anyway.)

Overviews were brief because I felt I was getting into too much detail. For management, I just mentioned I had direct reports in my units and explained how I managed their workload and priorities through the PMDS system. Then gave an example of last years achievements in terms of project outcomes.

Wrote out my answers as a script. The potential for me to start muddling even with bullet points is too high.

Practiced reading the script in as natural a manner as possible, while maintaining eye contact as much as possible with the camera. Like reading the news I suppose.

Timed my answers in practice. They came in around the 2:45 mark, but I sped up a bit in the real thing and one was barely over 2 minutes. I'd rather get the main points across and have time left then trying to cram too much into three minutes. Again, who knows how that will go down but I was comfortable with my responses.

So in all, I spent half a day preparing and then the 15 minutes to record the interviews. I feel good about it. If its not good enough, I think I can walk away happy at this stage. Not much more I could do.

Good luck to everyone. The main thing is to take whatever approach makes your relevant experience come across clearly.

As is this!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

As is this!

Fair play Batman! And thank you so much too. You’re definitely the kind of team player I’d love to have on my team ðŸ˜
    ETA, be part of your team ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mariagirl

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows the name of the e-tray provider for this AP campaign? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DOM85

mariagirl wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows the name of the e-tray provider for this AP campaign? Thanks

It’s PSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

Got called for video interview too. Thanks for the tips Batman!
    Didn't think they'd get to my score yet but it appears they are stuck for APs from what I am hearing.

Pro-tip here :)

I am quite in awe of this. You wouldn't be looking in to the camera then as you'd be looking at the laptop screen? Must give it a whirl but I fear my eyes reading would be a giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭crinkley

I am quite in awe of this. You wouldn't be looking in to the camera then as you'd be looking at the laptop screen? Must give it a whirl but I fear my eyes reading would be a giveaway.

for another competition I managed to rest my phone on top of my monitor, (well the arm behind it that allows you to move the screen up and down) and did the exact same, its a bit like looking at your mobile screen it wont look like you're making eye contact unless you stare directly into the camera. I passed that one anyway and plan the same for this

crinkley wrote: »
    for another competition I managed to rest my phone on top of my monitor, (well the arm behind it that allows you to move the screen up and down) and did the exact same, its a bit like looking at your mobile screen it wont look like you're making eye contact unless you stare directly into the camera. I passed that one anyway and plan the same for this

Thanks Crinkley - I'll have a go at a set up as the time that would save on learning it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Thanks Crinkley - I'll have a go at a set up as the time that would save on learning it off.

I recorded on my phone propped up against my laptop screen. I had my script on the laptop screen. I "presented" it as I usually would on a zoom presentation by reading and looking back at the audience. It was obvious i was reading but I did also engage the camera every few sentences and when I reviewed it it looked exactly like a presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭starringme

I had notes around me which I thought I had memorised. I didn't want them to seem rehearsed so didn't set up to read. I forgot some stuff as a result but I looked more natural. From a comms POV I had loads of 'eh's as I tried to recall stuff so I wouldn't worry about that.

basically I don't think it matters at all whether you're reading what you prepared, memorised it or are freewheeling altogether if you have the material. Your memory isn't a competency

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

I agree on this, reading your notes...(if the content is good) is fine in my opinion.

I did this (had to do the video interview on my smartphone due to IT issues with my laptop) and I got through to the subsequent stage (etray exercises).

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

Did anyone get results from the most recent interviews that happened in the last two weeks? Seeking good news to keep me going till the etray results are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Findlk wrote: »
    Did anyone get results from the most recent interviews that happened in the last two weeks? Seeking good news to keep me going till the etray results are out.

Still no news yet. 12 days on from my interview. Would like to know one way or another sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

That's frustrating alright. Especially when previous rounds seemed to go so much quicker.

Advertisement