Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Just finished video interview.
    Didn't learn it off thanks to tips here which made it easier.
    Whether I pass now or not is a whole other question!!!
    The info booklet clearly states it's not "your performance in front of a camera" being judged so that said it all to me.
    Content over memorised script.
    Best of luck to all.

Its definitely about content and solid examples over script and presentation. A good career overview and highlights brought across in terms of management, leadership, projects etc across the three questions should be enough. In my case I did numerous reruns and constantly practiced getting examples down to 400 words and timed at less than 2 mins 45 to allow for time on the actual recordings. Honestly went through each question in its entireity at least 5-6 times each which helped my scripted delivery no end on the day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

Still no sign of the latest etray results, someone must be on holidays haha. Hopefully we'll get some news this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Findlk wrote: »
    Still no sign of the latest etray results, someone must be on holidays haha. Hopefully we'll get some news this week.

yep.. was expecting them yesterday or day before. Hopefully today!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

JosTep wrote: »
    Well I was well down but passed them all - another two years wait for me so - but happy I actually passed (95 so well lower than everyone else)

If you passed and got through to interview - give it everything and best of luck

JosTep did you get called for the recent video interview? Just trying to figure out how far down the list they have gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JosTep

osullic wrote: »
    JosTep did you get called for the recent video interview? Just trying to figure out how far down the list they have gone?

I’m not on the Dublin list so no I haven’t - but was wondering the same

If you get called - good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JosTep

osullic wrote: »

I’m not on the Dublin list so no I haven’t - but was wondering the same

If you get called - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭crinkley

The latest set of video interviews were for Dublin, Kildare, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Westmeath, Offaly and Longford if that helps

etray results are out :) good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Just got my ETray results...which unfortunately weren't great.

All 1's & 2's....It was my first every Etray exercise and I think I rushed through it (and probably took on too much responsibility myself)...which is a learning experience.

It would be good to get some type of more detailed feedback (to work on for future competitions) after getting this far in the process yet I'm not optimistic of this from the organisers...as they tend to treat these as black box type results.

Good luck to everyone still left in the competition and thanks for sharing information through the process.

Just got my ETray results...which unfortunately weren't great.

All 1's & 2's....It was my first every Etray exercise and I think I rushed through it (and probably took on too much responsibility myself)...which is a learning experience.

It would be good to get some type of more detailed feedback (to work on for future competitions) after getting this far in the process yet I'm not optimistic of this from the organisers...as they tend to treat these as black box type results.

Good luck to everyone still left in the competition and thanks for sharing information through the process.

Sorry to hear that. With any luck a new comp will be out before year end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

Did anyone find a useful provider to practice for the e-tray?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DOM85

batman007 wrote: »
    Did anyone find a useful provider to practice for the e-tray?

I used assessment day.co.uk. I had never done an etray before.
    Choose tests by PSI/Cubiks. There were only 2 tests to practice on. They cost me 18 euros I think. I passed the etray but only barely I’d say with all 3s. But having done the 2 practice tests I felt better prepared. There are also tutorials on YouTube with tips. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

Thanks a mill! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

Didn't make it through the etray, I was really surprised tbh. I thought I had done well enough on it. failed on drive & commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Hope people don’t mind me jumping in here. A friend is a HEO and has been for a few years how. Great worker, has been in the top tier of EO and HEO panels in the past when promoted (started as CO)

He won’t go for AP because he believes without a degree he has no chance. I see it’s not technically required but in reality, is he right? Could he reach AP level without a degree?

He’s married with a young family and no real inclination to do a degree fwiw. I think he should go for it anyway.

Any thoughts from the experts here?

Dodge wrote: »
    Hope people don’t mind me jumping in here. A friend is a HEO and has been for a few years how. Great worker, has been in the top tier of EO and HEO panels in the past when promoted (started as CO)

He won’t go for AP because he believes without a degree he has no chance. I see it’s not technically required but in reality, is he right? Could he reach AP level without a degree?

He’s married with a young family and no real inclination to do a degree fwiw. I think he should go for it anyway.

Any thoughts from the experts here?

Not calling myself an expert but I do note the following criteria from the original application form:

Candidates must :

(a) Have significant management experience at an appropriate level, including leading teams and managing stakeholders;

(b) Have significant experience of some or all of the following: People management, project management, managing budgets, delivery of programmes, strategic and change management;

(c) Demonstrate that they possess the skills/competencies identified as being important for the role.

It would be a decided advantage for candidates to hold third level educational qualification.

It appears your friend has likely got management experience, other related experience and if has gone through successive EO/HEO competitions would also possess the skills required as being relevant to the role of AP.

While it clearly states above that it would be a decided advantage for candidates to possess a third level qualification, it does not specify if a degree or diploma constitutes as being advantageous to candidates. While recent recruitment in PAS to most of these grades involves the majority of applicants having third level qualifications, in this respect it is not a prerequisite that a degree is needed although candidates may need to excel in the other areas highlighted to compensate in terms of progression in this competition.

Having looked at this again, your friend should apply for future competitions as getting AP without a degree is not unprecedented even if not the norm these days.

Very curious about etray results; has anyone got higher than 3 in any of the scores? I had a quick search of the thread and I can only see 3 across all competencies. I got 3s myself and anyone I know that has passed has just got 3s as well.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Very curious about etray results; has anyone got higher than 3 in any of the scores? I had a quick search of the thread and I can only see 3 across all competencies. I got 3s myself and anyone I know that has passed has just got 3s as well.:confused:

I know of someone who got four 4's and two 3's. Anyway anything more than 3 is a waste!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Civiservi

Went down on the etray myself. The marker must have been having a bad day judging by the numbers of fails on the forum.

I am getting sick of these competitions at this stage, they are a disgracefully long drawn out process. I submitted my application in March 2020 and June 2021 I get turned down because my etray emails were not up to scratch according to an external provider. No opportunity for a face to face, no opportunity to sell myself from my work and life experiences. What a joke. People in PAS and HR justifying their existence and an industry.

boris232 wrote: »
    I know of someone who got four 4's and two 3's. Anyway anything more than 3 is a waste!!!

Agreed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SICKNOTE

Any idea how long it takes publicjobs to tell somebody where they are on the panel?
    I emailed them 2 weeks ago and still no answer.

Does anybody that received contact already have a direct dial number for them?

I'd be relocating to Dublin so if I knew where I was on panel I could get an idea of how urgently I need to find accommodation in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chomper57

SICKNOTE wrote: »
    Any idea how long it takes publicjobs to tell somebody where they are on the panel?
    I emailed them 2 weeks ago and still no answer.

Does anybody that received contact already have a direct dial number for them?

I'd be relocating to Dublin so if I knew where I was on panel I could get an idea of how urgently I need to find accommodation in dublin.

Hi,

I emailed Friday with the following update:

The last Dublin panel is fully used up. The latest one will be called but they didn’t give any exact timelines.
    I suspect with more candidates going for etray and video they expect more Dublin based ones.
    My other county was Kildare. They advised that the first 4 on the panel have taken positions in Dublin so I am higher up it as a result.
    Maybe others might have heard some noise on when Dublin are being called...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Chomper57 wrote: »
    Hi,

The last Dublin panel is fully used up. The latest one will be called but they didn’t give any exact timelines.
    I suspect with more candidates going for etray and video they expect more Dublin based ones.
    My other county was Kildare. They advised that the first 4 on the panel have taken positions in Dublin so I am higher up it as a result.

I was told the same on Friday. No one is left from the previous batch for Dublin but they haven't started on the new batch for Dublin yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SICKNOTE

Chomper57 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi Chomper57, Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mariagirl

Hi, how long does the e tray take to complete and what is a pass mark on each of the competencies, thanks..

mariagirl wrote: »
    Hi, how long does the e tray take to complete and what is a pass mark on each of the competencies, thanks..

The etray takes exactly 1 hour and 30 minutes (timed clock) to complete. You receive briefing material before you decide to start the timed etray exercise. It is very important to read through this in terms of familiarising yourself with your new role and getting ready for the tasks ahead.

In results terms, you are assessed on leadership, analysis and decision making, management and delivery of results, interpersonal skills and drive and commitment. A score of 3 in all areas is required to advance with the maximum score being 5.

As mentioned previously in this thread, a good starting point on this exercise is to introduce yourself to your team at the start and then read through all emails in order to prioritise important tasks and what you can delegate. One of the initial emails tells you about your immediate team and what are their strong and weak points. Definitely keep referring to this as you will gain marks by effectively delegating throughout while assuming responsibility for some of the more critical actions. All manageable but time is of the essence and the 90 minutes zips by. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mariagirl

derailed wrote: »
    The etray takes exactly 1 hour and 30 minutes (timed clock) to complete. You receive briefing material before you decide to start the timed etray exercise. It is very important to read through this in terms of familiarising yourself with your new role and getting ready for the tasks ahead.

In results terms, you are assessed on leadership, analysis and decision making, management and delivery of results, interpersonal skills and drive and commitment. A score of 3 in all areas is required to advance with the maximum score being 5.

As mentioned previously in this thread, a good starting point on this exercise is to introduce yourself to your team at the start and then read through all emails in order to prioritise important tasks and what you can delegate. One of the initial emails tells you about your immediate team and what are their strong and weak points. Definitely keep referring to this as you will gain marks by effectively delegating throughout while assuming responsibility for some of the more critical actions. All manageable but time is of the essence and the 90 minutes zips by. Best of luck!

Thanks very much, I appreciae that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 taraalex

Hi All,
    May I ask you about E-tray exercise. When you get emails, do you have to respond to them by writing emails, or there is an option to tick the box with selected answers? Are you expected to write some kind of a report or anything similar? I would appreciate if anyone can share their experience with E-tray. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Meadowlands

Personally, I don’t think that the e-tray assessment is fair. Anyone can sit it, as no cameras are used to see if someone is being assisted and unlike all competitions, pre-pandemic, it is not supervised eg. With the open HEO competition previously, you sat the aptitude test at home unsupervised and then again in a supervised environment.

Here, many of us have fallen victim to ‘virtual’ assessment - the first real opportunity to engage in human interaction would have been the final interview.

With promotion, you gain status but you lose TIME eg. You lose your flexi timeand you lose working from home.

Best of luck to all in remainder of this competition...it is challenging starting a new role during a pandemic.

• Advertisement

taraalex wrote: »
    Hi All,
    May I ask you about E-tray exercise. When you get emails, do you have to respond to them by writing emails, or there is an option to tick the box with selected answers? Are you expected to write some kind of a report or anything similar? I would appreciate if anyone can share their experience with E-tray. Thanks in advance.

At the start of the etray you receive background information about the imaginary scenario to help build a clearer picture and to give you context with your role (essentially you will be taking up a position whereby the previous incumbent has suddenly left and you have tasks to complete before you start the role and will be then on a weeks leave). You will have time to read this before entering the exercise where the 90 minute clockdown starts.

Once you start the objective is to respond to emails yourself by either actioning tasks yourself or by writing an email to a colleague delegating that task to them. Each email you have in your inbox needs to be read through so you understand the context of the task or whether it is something you need to take responsibility or whether it is better delegated to a team member. The test is set out to see how effective you are in management, delegating, organising, interpersonal skills, drive and commitment and so on. There is no need to write a report or Memo like previous exercises and the focus is on responding to as much emails as possible (though this is next to impossible with the time constraints involved)

Best idea once you then enter the timing part of the etray exercise is to quickly familiarise yourself with who is on your team and then introduce yourself to them in one single mail to save you having to do that for every mail going forward. The team overview email will tell you about the personalities of your reports which should inform you in terms of who to delegate tasks to if needed throughout the etray exercise. Then read all the mails in your inbox (about 14-15) before deciding on what constitutes as being a priority or not. Then work down through them and making a decision on what you need to action yourself or delegate as appropriate.

Make sure to try and schedule meetings going forward without taking up too much time or have a conflict in your calendar. You will be able to see your emails, calendar and details of team members in different tabs throughout along with the overall scenario (which is the briefing material you read at the start).

Advertisement