Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

did you email them already? I have no experience of a similar situation but I do know from experience that if they can help you, they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RTH123098

Yes i have sent them in my photo ID now, a few hours late. I would assume that some thing like this would surely not disqualify me, but you never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

RTH123098 wrote: »
    Yes i have sent them in my photo ID now, a few hours late. I would assume that some thing like this would surely not disqualify me, but you never know..

Hi. I had a similar experience recently with PAS where for whatever reason I never opened a message from them, thinking it was a duplicate or something. It was actually requesting photo ID, and I missed the deadline. They actually emailed me to say the deadline had passed and to get it in quick.

Which, while great on that occasion, makes me wonder why they couldn't have said on a previous occasion "Yes, that application form you submitted does indeed appear to be corrupt, can you re-submit it", but that ship has sailed...

TL;dr - you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RTH123098

Thank you for the info! i think i should be able to rest easy so!
    Hi. I had a similar experience recently with PAS where for whatever reason I never opened a message from them, thinking it was a duplicate or something. It was actually requesting photo ID, and I missed the deadline. They actually emailed me to say the deadline had passed and to get it in quick.

Which, while great on that occasion, makes me wonder why they couldn't have said on a previous occasion "Yes, that application form you submitted does indeed appear to be corrupt, can you re-submit it", but that ship has sailed...

TL;dr - you should be fine!

I wasn't able to log on to the test call today due to other commitments. Will anyone else be winging it on the day with zoom?

• Advertisement

I wasn't able to log on to the test call today due to other commitments. Will anyone else be winging it on the day with zoom?

Is this the test call with a PAS representative? If so, it's literally a Zoom call to make sure you can access/use Zoom, be seen, be heard, can see and hear yourself, etc. If you don't normally have problems with Zoom and have been using it over the past year or so, then it's a quick two-minute thing.

Yeh it's not mandatory but feel like I've shot myself in the foot a bit as we don't use zoom in work (I'm fairly sure it's blocked!) So I'll have to check later if I can use it on my work laptop. Hope I don't have problems with it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yeh it's not mandatory but feel like I've shot myself in the foot a bit as we don't use zoom in work (I'm fairly sure it's blocked!) So I'll have to check later if I can use it on my work laptop. Hope I don't have problems with it now!

You can do a zoom test call from the zoom website. One thing, make sure your display name is not a nickname. They want to see your full name (eg. Theo Candidate) on the zoom client you are using.

The panel themselves had zoom problems in my interview, delaying it quite a bit so don't be getting too wound up over it. They are well used to dealing with zoom issues and took it in their stride.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

Hi all, just preparing for interview next week. Are people refusing info they used in the recorded interview? Finding it difficult to reinvent the wheel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

There’s been repeated instances of people here struggling with video interviews and competency tests on work owned devices and then people being pissed off that their employers aren’t facilitating their efforts to get a new job.

Use a personal device. If you don’t have one, buy one in advance or get a loan of one and test it out. This is a worthwhile investment in a major step in your career progression.

A suitable device with no potential unexpected limitations you don’t control is like having suitable clothes for a physical interview. It doesn’t guarantee you anything, it is a cost, but it’s just part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SICKNOTE

Orchid1 wrote: »
    Hi all, just preparing for interview next week. Are people refusing info they used in the recorded interview? Finding it difficult to reinvent the wheel!

Hi Orchid1,
    Yes, you absolutely can reuse material from the recorded interview. Each round is looked at on its own merits and is only used to narrow down the numbers to go forward to the next round. Best of luck with your final interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Hexen

that's great news! Any idea of how many went into clearance?

For current CS, if you are staying in own dept, do you still go through clearing?? Or is it more like internal promotion; PMDS/sick leave only?

I'm single digit on OOM for interdept. Beyond that I have no idea.

Yes. Everyone goes through clearance. Whether you're staying in your Dept. or going to another one, they will contact your home Dept.'s HR to confirm your eligibility. Of course, you have to first grant them permission to make such contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

that's great news! Any idea of how many went into clearance?

For current CS, if you are staying in own dept, do you still go through clearing?? Or is it more like internal promotion; PMDS/sick leave only?

You receive email from PAS saying they have reached you on panel & offering you a position & want confirmation that you are willing to be considered so they can start clearance. Once you do that they send you docs to complete, (self declaration) & contact your current Dept for reference, a template filled in by your AP - rating system -good, very good, outstanding (or something like that) sick leave & PMDS. For me, clearance took 1 day. Then up to Dept you assigned to for start date. My Dept had my start date the same day PAS sent me final email congratulating me on my new assignment, as I opted to stay where I was I got a couple of weeks handover in my old role. It all happened really quickly, but depends how efficient your HR is & how quick they send stuff back to PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zara151

Hi. I never ever realised that my AP had a say in this I doubt mine will pass me he is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kennyrach

Zara151 wrote: »
    Hi. I never ever realised that my AP had a say in this I doubt mine will pass me he is difficult.

He would have to have a very good reason backed up by evidence to not pass you so u shouldn't worry about him in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

Wondering how they deal with not so gracious references for external candidates? One of my old bosses (hoping I don't have to use him) was an absolute nightmare, just a real condescending so and so.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

Anyone know how long we are likely to be waiting for video interview results?
    Or has it been different at different stages of this comp so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aine1981

The reference request for my AP equivalent role was very structured and it didn’t look like if gave the person much room to give an opinion. They had a set of questions to mark me out of 5 in. Time keeping, sick leave etc.. The person would have to be fierce bad minded to give you an awful rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 2020Survivor

Anyone know how long we are likely to be waiting for video interview results?
    Or has it been different at different stages of this comp so far?

I can’t say if it will be the same length of time we’ll be waiting as previous groups or not, but I went back through posts here and saw one group had a 20 day wait from date the interviews close to the day the first person posted here to say the results were out, so if that is the same for us, then it’ll be tomorrow week.

• Advertisement

I can’t say if it will be the same length of time we’ll be waiting as previous groups or not, but I went back through posts here and saw one group had a 20 day wait from date the interviews close to the day the first person posted here to say the results were out, so if that is the same for us, then it’ll be tomorrow week.

Thanks. Do you think we had more counties though than the other times?

Aine1981 wrote: »
    The reference request for my AP equivalent role was very structured and it didn’t look like if gave the person much room to give an opinion. They had a set of questions to mark me out of 5 in. Time keeping, sick leave etc.. The person would have to be fierce bad minded to give you an awful rating.

Thank you but I wouldn't be surprised

Kennyrach wrote: »
    He would have to have a very good reason backed up by evidence to not pass you so u shouldn't worry about him in that regard.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Betty123.

Any tips for AP interview? Can anybody remember the qs? Please x

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kennyrach

Zara151 wrote: »
    Thank you

No worries and as previous poster put down it would only be certain criteria that he would be marking you on. It would be similar to PMDS marking. So if your PMDS is satisfactory along with the other hr matters then he can't negatively mark you for this.

Kennyrach wrote: »
    No worries and as previous poster put down it would only be certain criteria that he would be marking you on. It would be similar to PMDS marking. So if your PMDS is satisfactory along with the other hr matters then he can't negatively mark you for this.

And bear in mind, any staff of his "failing" a suitability for promotion assessment would reflect really badly on him - especially if he's passed you before in PMDS. Was he lying in the PMDS? If not, when did his assessment of you change, how and when did he bring it to your attention, and how did he address it (as a poor rating should never be a surprise?)

If you're really worried about it, get your mid-year PMDS in now, have your feedback meeting, and get your 'satisfactory' rating and review in writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Hexen

Betty123. wrote: »
    Any tips for AP interview? Can anybody remember the qs? Please x

They will largely just systematically go through the competencies, asking you to provide examples where you have provided good leadership, management of people horizontally (projects) or vertically (direct reports), interpersonal/communication skills, analysis and decision making etc. In your answers, quote the competencies back at them - thread them through your examples. That's it really - it's pretty mechanical - to pass each competency your examples have to demonstrate each competency and it is worthwhile to tell them specifically the specific sub-competencies that each example demonstrates.

If, in their opinion, your example does not adequately demonstrate a given competency they may ask further questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Butterfly06

For those who were successful from last batch and got results on 2 June ..They’re up as far as number 8 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

For those who were successful from last batch and got results on 2 June ..They’re up as far as number 8 😊

Is that for the Open or Interdepartmental panels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Butterfly06

boris232 wrote: »
    Is that for the Open or Interdepartmental panels

8 for interd
    12 for open
    Hope that helps!

Advertisement