Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with router

Options
  • 06-03-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

hope this is the right forum for this? I have a d-link dir 655 that I've been using as a wifi extender on my network connected to my main router via a gigabit switch. Lately I cant connect, my phone keeps saying "obtaining i.p. address" but never connects. I'm trying to find a way of getting into my settings on the d-link, and here lies my problem...I cant remember the i.p. address and the default 192.168.0.1 is the same as my main router (virgin media hub). I would do a factory reset but 1. dont have the cd for set-up 2. the default i.p. address would still be the same..............any help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

There are a couple of things you can do.

If you login to the Virgin Media Hub, click on Connected Devices to get a list of IP addresses currently in use on your LAN. It shows which devices are wired and which are wireless, so it should be relatively simple to find the IP of your router.

If that doesn't help, you can scan the network for all connected devices from a laptop or PC. For example, look at nmap tool. Works best on Linux and Mac, but I think there's also a Windows version. Otherwise, there might be other tools that can do this.

Finally, you can reset the dlink after unplugging it from the LAN, and hooking it directly to a laptop. The router will default to the IP address you know, and the laptop will acquire an IP from that range, allowing you to talk to the router and set it up how you want it. Then you plug the cables as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

JoyPad wrote: »
    Finally, you can reset the dlink after unplugging it from the LAN, and hooking it directly to a laptop. The router will default to the IP address you know, and the laptop will acquire an IP from that range, allowing you to talk to the router and set it up how you want it. Then you plug the cables as before.
    This, just make sure you disable DHCP on it.
    And, if this device has that feature, export config for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

did like you said, thanks. got a factory reset done, and re-configured it....including giving it a new i.p. address (that I can remember!)... the lan ports work fine but still no wi-fi ! one thing I did notice in the settings, the time & date will only go up to 2019 and there has been no firmware update since 2010, wonder if this has anything to do with it? anyway, threw my hat at it and got a Fritz!box 7530 :):).... thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Ok lads, still having trouble with this, maybe try something different?. My ideal scenario would be two separate wireless networks, both connected to a virgin super-hub 3.0. In fairness my network is a bit more complex so I'll try explain as briefly as I can:

1. Virgin media hub provides wifi downstairs

2. ethernet cable runs from VM hub to 8 port gigabit switch, handles all my wired needs downstairs

3. ethernet cable runs upstairs from switch 1 to 2nd gigabit switch where is connected to several wired devices (inc. pc)

4. Router no.2 is connected to switch no.2 providing wifi upstairs

5. ethernet cable runs from switch 2 to cabin at end of garden, connecting to switch no.3 - where several devices are wired.

Switch 3 is where I'm having the problem, Ideally I'd like to create a totally separate wifi network from the rest of the house with different name, password, etc..etc.. is this achievable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

kingaaa wrote: »
    Ok lads, still having trouble with this, maybe try something different?. My ideal scenario would be two separate wireless networks, both connected to a virgin super-hub 3.0. In fairness my network is a bit more complex so I'll try explain as briefly as I can:

1. Virgin media hub provides wifi downstairs

2. ethernet cable runs from VM hub to 8 port gigabit switch, handles all my wired needs downstairs

3. ethernet cable runs upstairs from switch 1 to 2nd gigabit switch where is connected to several wired devices (inc. pc)

4. Router no.2 is connected to switch no.2 providing wifi upstairs

5. ethernet cable runs from switch 2 to cabin at end of garden, connecting to switch no.3 - where several devices are wired.

Switch 3 is where I'm having the problem, Ideally I'd like to create a totally separate wifi network from the rest of the house with different name, password, etc..etc.. is this achievable?
    You can have multiple WiFi AP with different SSID's/passwords as long you:
    a. Ensure you have single device serving as DHCP sever (DHCP enabled ONLY ON ONE "router")
    b. Different AP's, preferably, sit on channels way apart from others (1/6/11), if signal is overlapping or set it on "Auto"
    kingaaa wrote: »
    my phone keeps saying "obtaining i.p. address" but never connects.
    Possible causes:
    a. phone is set with static IP, that is already issued to other device.
    b. two devices(phone and other) set with same static IP
    c. two devices("routers") set to serve as DHCP
    d. DHCP table is f***ed up on main router - reset main router

Providing you have single device("router") serving as DHCP server...
    Check what IP is not served yet(usually high numbers like 192.168.1.233) and set your phone on that IP as static. See if it goes.

I am not excluding possibility that your phone NIC is gone.... you could try reset network card on the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement