Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epson Printer - won't just print B&W

Options
  • 06-03-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone able to advise here?
    I have an epson xp-620 printer.

It wont print a document cos it says its out of red ink.

Grand, so print it in B&W.
    Nope , I'm out of red ink...

FFS .. why does this thing have a large black cartridge which is separate from the the other four (C,Y,M,PBK) cartridges then?

I'm using a mac, I've told it to print B&W.. but no.. keeps complaining about the red ink...

Anyone able to tell me how to get this stupid thing to print like a normal printer?
    I don't want photo quality.. its a feckin application form...
    Is there some way to get it out of photo mode or something?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

vidapura wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone able to advise here?
    I have an epson xp-620 printer.

It wont print a document cos it says its out of red ink.

Grand, so print it in B&W.
    Nope , I'm out of red ink...

FFS .. why does this thing have a large black cartridge which is separate from the the other four (C,Y,M,PBK) cartridges then?

I'm using a mac, I've told it to print B&W.. but no.. keeps complaining about the red ink...

Anyone able to tell me how to get this stupid thing to print like a normal printer?
    I don't want photo quality.. its a feckin application form...
    Is there some way to get it out of photo mode or something?

Thanks

Will this work?

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CF27202~faq-00007e5-xp440_446?faq_cat=faq-topFaqs#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Same thing happened to me with a different model epson. Tried everything. In the end gave up and bought the replacement colour ink, then it worked. Grrr

I read something on the Internet that 'explained' it, obviously didn't offer a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It's a con that Epson and others use to make you buy more ink when you don't have to. Only alternative is to get refillable carts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would try converting the document to be printed to greyscale from colour and then attempt a print.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I would try converting the document to be printed to greyscale from colour and then attempt a print.
    I don't think it anyhow relates to document itself.

OP, have fun....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

• Advertisement

thumb_hey-printer-can-you-please-print-this-document-cyan-low-62787126.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

FanadMan wrote: »
    It's a con that Epson and others use to make you buy more ink when you don't have to. Only alternative is to get refillable carts :(

The new Epson printers use tanks rather than removeable cartridges that you fill with bottles. Branding is called 'EcoTank' >>>> https://www.epson.co.uk/for-home/ecotank

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
    Sorry I haven't replied before now, I am just up the walls.
    What I was trying to print was my CV.. for obvious reasons.. gave up .. printed it at a friends house...]

Now I'm climbin the walls trying to prep for an interview.
    I just can't get into the hole with the stupid printer for now.

Interview is Tuesday.. THEN I'll be back to the printer.. and may even bring a sledgehammer...
    Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

vidapura wrote: »
    Interview is Tuesday.. THEN I'll be back to the printer.. and may even bring a sledgehammer...
    Thanks again...
    Way to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The file a printer reads does not tell it if the entire contents of the file is black only. The printer processes the file line by line.

Consumers would be more pissed off if a printer started printing in black, then stopped halfway when it encountered some colour.

Colour ink is also needed for the MIC
    Wiki wrote:
    a digital watermark which certain color laser printers and copiers leave on every single printed page, allowing identification of the device with which a document was printed and giving clues to the originator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

My Epson printer does the same. Very annoying. I'll be checking this next time I buy a printer.

Advertisement