Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Windows XP program on Windows10

Options
  • 06-03-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to run a Windows XP program on Windows 10. It is not resource heavy but needs to connect to a midi interface, via a USB adapter. Before I put time into this I’m wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to do this. My current thinking is to use a VM or container, with an install of XP.

I’m happy to do the grunt work, just don’t want to spend hours going down a rabbit hole. The midi interface is to an electric piano, with both way communication.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm not at a PC so can't check at the moment.
    But wasn't there a right click run as XP option on some windows 10 builds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

On some things there is an option to run in compatability mode or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm not at a PC so can't check at the moment.
    But wasn't there a right click run as XP option on some windows 10 builds?
    On some things there is an option to run in compatability mode or something like that.

I’ve tried that, but the program keeps hanging. I should have said that in the first post, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Are you sure you have the right version installed, ie, 32 or 64bit. Many XP apps would be 32bit whereas your PC is probably 64bit.

If that checks out, then you have 2 options:
    1) make a new partition in your storage and install Windows XP on it. 10 and XP should dual boot no problem as they are both designed to be capable of it.
    2) install a VM and install XP into it.

Are you sure you have the right version installed, ie, 32 or 64bit. Many XP apps would be 32bit whereas your PC is probably 64bit.

If that checks out, then you have 2 options:
    1) make a new partition in your storage and install Windows XP on it. 10 and XP should dual boot no problem as they are both designed to be capable of it.
    2) install a VM and install XP into it.

Ok The OS is 64bit and the program is 32 bit, but why would that be a problem? I have run many 32bit programs on 64bit OS’s, over the years.

I don’t want to go down the dual boot approach. This leaves me with either a VM, such as VMWare or a container ecosystem such as Docker Desktop. I’d love to have a go with Docker, but I don’t know:
    1. How easy it is to run a XP instance in a container.
    2. If 1 is possible, how easy it will be to connect to the midi interface.

I’m hoping someone has some background to be able to say that it should work fine, or that it’s a lot of work. ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Windows XP Mode is the easiest solution for you but it's only officially supported on W7 by license - thankfully there is a great guide below on getting it working in W10 with the aid of Hyper-V. It's a bit long winded but not difficult to follow at all.

https://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

advertsfox wrote: »
    Windows XP Mode is the easiest solution for you but it's only officially supported on W7 by license - thankfully there is a great guide below on getting it working in W10 with the aid of Hyper-V. It's a bit long winded but not difficult to follow at all.

https://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

Thanks a million, that’s exactly what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Failing that you could always use Oracle VM Virtual Box

Advertisement