Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrics in house inspection

Options
  • 06-03-2020 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I have a number of concerns about the electrics in my house. A socket doesn't work here and there. A while ago I got an electric heater installed. Got references checked everything out I thought but had serious concerns about the installation . Things seemed ok since then but now more sockets not working . Do i just ask an electrician to do an inspection or check the sockets individually. I've asked people for recommendations before but most of them don't have one or don't want to travel across city for work. House is about 30 ish years old

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

I have a number of concerns about the electrics in my house. A socket doesn't work here and there. A while ago I got an electric heater installed. Got references checked everything out I thought but had serious concerns about the installation . Things seemed ok since then but now more sockets not working . Do i just ask an electrician to do an inspection or check the sockets individually. I've asked people for recommendations before but most of them don't have one or don't want to travel across city for work. House is about 30 ish years old

You need a periodic inspection report, go onto the safe electric website, there is a list of registered contractors, ring a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A periodic inspection report will highlight any problems, but it shouldn't be used until you have any known issues remedied.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

Why is that ? Also just reading up about it are there any negative implications in it. For example if they advised something was done would it void Insurance ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Nothing wrong with getting a periodic inspection done, just that you have a few issues that you should address first.

A non functioning socket probably can't be tested so your periodic inspection would be incomplete.
    (A bit like failing certain tests in the NCT means that they can't test other items).

If other issues are found then you are probably better off knowing about them and getting them remedied. (But just because something isn't up to current standards doesn't mean that it is unsafe, the report should highlight what should be fixed and what doesn't meet current standards)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

That's great. Will do.Thanks for your help .

• Advertisement
Advertisement