Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Creep Feeding Hoggets ?

• 06-03-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

I am finishing lambs in a shed atm. There seems to a lull in the finishing of them.

There are on 0.3 kgs of lamb ration twice a day, v good add lib hayledge, straw bed and water. I am thinking of introducing a Cormac Hopper Lamb Creep Feeder to them in order to speed up the finishing time and get to weights quicker.

My question is, what would be the safest method of introducing the feeder in order to avoid any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

kk.man wrote: »
    I am finishing lambs in a shed atm. There seems to a lull in the finishing of them.

There are on 0.3 kgs of lamb ration twice a day, v good add lib hayledge, straw bed and water. I am thinking of introducing a Cormac Hopper Lamb Creep Feeder to them in order to speed up the finishing time and get to weights quicker.

My question is, what would be the safest method of introducing the feeder in order to avoid any problems?

I would have said just put it in and fill it up?

Not sure there is anything else you can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Increase trough intake slowly till they start to leave food on it.. then they are really ad lib and put feeder in..
    In you put feeder in now there is a chance they will gorge and will end up with an acidosis problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

eorna wrote: »
    Increase trough intake slowly till they start to leave food on it.. then they are really ad lib and put feeder in..
    In you put feeder in now there is a chance they will gorge and will end up with an acidosis problem.

Surely twould be hard enough to give em acidosis with a lamb ration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Surely twould be hard enough to give em acidosis with a lamb ration?

Oh they would get it... Had 1 a few weeks ago... There is barley in the lamb ration

Advertisement