Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus- All schools to close? [MOD NOTE POST 346

• 06-03-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is it only a matter of time before all schoolc close?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I don't know, it seems to be a case of staying open unless there's a confirmed case, and then what?
    Can't really stay closed for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Is it only a matter of time before all schoolc close?

its 'schools' - please try harder Teech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Dave0301

its 'schools' - please try harder Teech

Should that not be "it is" or "it's" ;)

Anyway, I would suspect that schools in Ireland and the UK will close like other countries, if there are thousands of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Anyone got any structures / plans in place if we have to work from home?

Skype and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally think that if it expands the way I think it will then they will try and keep them open until after Paddy's Day and then roll a two week closure into the Easter break.

Now all that could be brought forward if things get bad very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

We were told to make sure all of our exam classes are on google classroom just in case the school closes in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Treppen wrote: »
    Anyone got any structures / plans in place if we have to work from home?

Skype and all that!

Also Interested in hearing about what contingency plans schools have in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭blackbox

They could bring forward the summer holidays and restart in July if all clear.

Important that kids don't end up with reduced education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Our principal is asking us to prepare work packs to be sent home in the event of a closure. I teach in a special school and it can be hard enough to get them working in school, unlikely many parents will be able to get their children to do a lot of the work but we'll be covered I suppose. Some of the other teachers are setting up the children on Studyladder but my class aren't really at that level yet.

So if you do work from home every day you're off....

And then told to make up the days at a later stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Local university here has issued instruction to unit/dept managers to prepare contingency plans for partial or full close down. Was sent at 5pm today which is a little surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm laughing at the LLS panel telling school not to panic because U18s not in any danger, what about the fekin teachers? :rolleyes: Not many of those U18 I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

blackbox wrote: »

They could but they can't. The standardisation of the school year does not allow this to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I reckon they might **** us down a week early for easter and hope a 3 week lockdown might work if things are getting bad.
    Told my exam classes to make sure to have Teams app downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Whats the point in closing schools when parents are in and out to work every day, it makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭valor rorghulis

They've set a precedent with the school in "the east"

So surely once a teenager in any school has it they will need to then shut down their school.

Its going to be here in large numbers in the next few weeks, so yes, the schools will be shutting down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

As long as everyone self isolate and not head off on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Can’t see that happening. As it stands the circular in place for school holidays basically says....looks a few days at Easter (3 days).

We had been told previously (with regard to weather) keep exam years until the end of May, cancel Sport’s Day and limit or cancel summer tests for non exam years.

Our teachers have devices and use Microsoft a lot so in my own case I use ‘teams’ with my classes, ‘one note’ etc. My exam groups will be fine as will can send work over and back. At this stage the majority of the work is done.

In my OH’s case he also received the email another poster mentioned re Universities. All staff must bring their devices home every evening now and make sure they have everything uploaded that they need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Does anyone think this is all a bit mad? I mean the virus has a 2% mortality rate and that's in the elderly/those with weakened immune systems. As a doctor said on RTE, kids will recover quite well.

Does anyone think this is all a bit mad? I mean the virus has a 2% mortality rate and that's in the elderly/those with weakened immune systems. As a doctor said on RTE, kids will recover quite well.

If you had one carrier going into a school every day for 2 weeks I think there's a chance they could pass it on to at least one more. Then that carrier goes undetected for another 2 weeks while spreading. Possibly with siblings going to other schools.

We've 3 students with compromised immune systems and teachers who are pregnant.

It's more about prevention from spreading at the start than mortality at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Of the 'currently infected cases' 15% are serious or critical. That's a lot of beds and a lot of oxygen needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not much point if you can't actually go on a holiday. In any case, I'd imagine plenty of families have made bookings by this stage.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We've huge numbers of people with diabetes, cystic fibrosis, heart disease and a host of other medical issues. These people are of all ages and over half a million of them. That's a lot of people who could wind up in ICU.
    Saying it's just the elderly and people with weakened immune system dums down the huge threat this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭CraftySue

Rate is 3.4 %, in Italy it's 4%, I know people are saying Italy has an older population, but so does China. If it's believed that Iran, China etc didn't give true death totals then Italy's rate may be more accurate. In addition, 15% of active cases are severe to critical, we have to question our ability to deal with those numbers in our healthcare system.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Schools will close . It's inevitable. I think it will happen in April.
    The Government has a conundrum over Paddy's day parades. Seemingly the virus is not that dangerous in outside air but I think its cancellation is inevitable.
    The sooner they announce this the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Schools will close . It's inevitable. I think it will happen in April.
    The Government has a conundrum over Paddy's day parades. Seemingly the virus is not that dangerous in outside air but I think its cancellation is inevitable.
    The sooner they announce this the better

Schools are shut from April 3rd anyway for Easter. Personally think they will also be shut for the two weeks prior to this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Schools are shut from April 3rd anyway for Easter. Personally think they will also be shut for the two weeks prior to this as well.

Me too....they are the two weeks for the JC home ec practicals!!!
    There is an emergency extra week of practicals the week we come back. This is because the SEC do not have enough examiners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Individual schools may be hit in the next two weeks. That will create problems for them but not system wide. After that it depends on whether the numbers infected begin to skyrocket and the health service is going to be overwhelmed. They will try to stagger to Easter for exam purposes etc. I see some wise heads here looking at technological supports and the next few weeks could be usefully spent establishing these and testing them for LC classes in particular.

It's really touch and go about which way the numbers go. Absolutely insist on hygiene practices and obviously cancel foreign travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

It's only a flu, why would we close the schools over this when they've always been open during flu season.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Yes I see this as the most pragmatic thing to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement