Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus- All schools to close? [MOD NOTE POST 346

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

KildareP wrote: »
    Spreadsheets and word docs don't need to be downloaded, they can be created, opened, edited and saved entirely through Office online or Google Docs.

Likewise CBAs can be emailed but do not need to be downloaded to be viewed because they can be viewed online, as above.

Unlike paper corrections, for example, which by their very nature must be brought home to correct, if not corrected in the school building.

If you have to/ want to work offline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

from RTE
    Italy is to close all stores except for pharmacies and food shops to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

"We close shops, bars, pubs and restaurants. Home delivery is allowed," Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in a national television address.

Spain is heading the same way

Why do we think we will be any different by doing basically nothing
    It is scary now. Don't care if ye think it's hyperbole. It is scary and we need to be proactive NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

for instance what happens if schools have to close for 3 months? Is it fair to expect leaving cert students to have the same level as prep as other years? What about points and colleges for September.. do kids loose a year?

But from the perspective of college places whether they have the same level of preparation as other years isn't really that important in that they are all competing against people in the same situation. The SEC will have its bell curve grading anyway so points will miraculously emerge in or around the same as other years.

For college purposes points reflect the supply/demand equation and not necessarily how amazing a student's Leaving Cert is or how difficult a course might be. There's no question of colleges deciding not to take students into courses because the standard wasn't good enough. In UCD's Law degree, for example, it took 521 points to get in in 2019 but the minimum requirement was just six 06 grades in the LC. No doubt plenty will manage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Why do people have such a problem with teachers.

I mean why is the first thought of someone when closing every school in the country comes up that 'teachers need to be made work more'.

Surely that's unrelated to decisions made on medical advi e?

I think that's the point of the 'questiion' someone said they were asking earlier. It was an entirely rhetorical question just asked to have a go. If you read back over it yourself you should see how it comes across as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Some indication of intent wud be great here. Do kids start bringing books home? They won't bring them all home in one day

In Poland they carry them around every day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭micks_address

So Denmark closing schools..they at 350 cases..we probably have bit to go. Id estimate we be at 100 by weekend.

It only took three days to go from 50 to 350 in Denmark.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-11/denmark-shuts-down-schools-sends-home-non-critical-staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

So Denmark closing schools..they at 350 cases..we probably have bit to go. Id estimate we be at 100 by weekend.

It only took three days to go from 50 to 350 in Denmark.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-11/denmark-shuts-down-schools-sends-home-non-critical-staff

If we were screening properly we would probably be there already
    And we sure as hell will be when all the Irish punters return from Cheltenham
    Ridiculous it went ahead . But that’s for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Au pairs might be an option.

It's an awful situation to be in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Careful now, I was banned from this thread for less. I simply asked the question and was torn apart.

Poster given a 3 day holiday for continuing to discuss moderation decision on thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thread temporarily closed to remove non coronavirus junk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm opening it back up again under the following conditions:

a) this thread is for discussing the school closure and the coronavirus as the reason
    b) this thread can be used to discuss work methods/lesson planning etc
    c) this thread CANNOT discuss teacher pay/teacher attitude/teacher holidays/everything else.

A number of posts were deleted as they were off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Firblog

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Well then you're wrong, they don't agree with the live streaming with 30 kids.
    They all plan to work with the students in some way. It certainly won't be holidays used for a 'Netflix binge'.

I don't know how you can say that, how can you know what every other teacher intends to do?

"Unless the state wants to fund a personal computer for me and every other secondary teachers they can fxxxx off insisting on teachers working from home"

that's a quote from one of your colleagues earlier in the thread.. he deffo sounds like he's chomping at the bit to help his students when/if the schools close. Thats one of the reasons I was suggesting that teachers without access to tech should go into their schools to provide lessons for their students, as he and others really don't sound too enamored with the idea of providing any help from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’m not too enamoured with the idea of Skyping etc from home. We’ve 4 adults living here. At the times I’d be expected to be online, I’d have to bar the others from using the kitchen, living room or office for blocks of up to four hours at a time. That’s not going to happen. The alternative would be the jacks or my bedroom. Also, not an option. On top of this, I’m not expecting the others in the gaff to chip in and pay for the bandwidth necessary. So, teaching from home isn’t going to happen.

If it’s being done, it’ll have to be done from the school, using their equipment. My equipment is better, but it’s not for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

endacl wrote: »
    I’m not too enamoured with the idea of Skyping etc from home. We’ve 4 adults living here. At the times I’d be expected to be online, I’d have to bar the others from using the kitchen, living room or office for blocks of up to four hours at a time. That’s not going to happen. The alternative would be the jacks or my bedroom. Also, not an option. On top of this, I’m not expecting the others in the gaff to chip in and pay for the bandwidth necessary. So, teaching from home isn’t going to happen.

If it’s being done, it’ll have to be done from the school, using their equipment. My equipment is better, but it’s not for work.

I've already posted this.

Why Live? Record a short daily video, upload to YouTube and share with some exercise files and ask students to write out answers on a sheet of paper and photograph it and email to teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Why Live? Record a short daily video, upload to YouTube and share with some exercise files and ask students to write out answers on a sheet of paper and photograph it and email to teacher.

Has anyone considered the possibility of a student taking a video and making a meme/TikTok etc and making a mockery of the teacher? No way would I feel comfortable with this suggestion. I’ll email notes from home and they can send me material.

Also if I’m using my mobile phone data for all this as my WiFi is extremely poor will I be reimbursed.. just a thought.
    Will have to do work from my phone as I have no laptop.

yeah who even needs video... do a voicemail... teachers have left messages for kids with their reports.. well done but you could improve here...

i mean live video would be great but a note to say try x y and z and post your questions if you stuck and the teacher posts back notes is better than nothing.. i think learning for exams is one thing but if all kids are at home and not able to socialize they will be glad of a couple of hours homework

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

endacl wrote: »

Poor attitude at a time when everyone has to pull their weight.
    Nothing new anyway, it's about what I'd expect from the public service..... sorry, public disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

wrangler wrote: »
    Nothing new anyway, it's about what I'd expect from the public service..... sorry, public disservice.

It wasn't just about the equipment. Re read the post. It's about the lack of suitability etc

Poster is saying he would use the schools equipment ffs

Although that in itself is putting hime/herself and others at risk imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Teach30 wrote: »
    Has anyone considered the possibility of a student taking a video and making a meme/TikTok etc and making a mockery of the teacher? No way would I feel comfortable with this suggestion. I’ll email notes from home and they can send me material.

Also if I’m using my mobile phone data for all this as my WiFi is extremely poor will I be reimbursed.. just a thought.
    Will have to do work from my phone as I have no laptop.

We have specifically been told if recording at home it should the the screen/hand etc and not full teacher or a two way video set up.

I’m Music and Maths. In music it will mostly be assignment work and not much demo needed. In maths I’ve funded my own iPad and Apple Pencil so I’ll screen record demos and then set them work to do and open up a discussion post on google classroom so they can discuss it (same as they would in school-ask three before me is policy in my classroom). However I am lucky that my husband works from home and we have 1gb broadband in the house for that already.

I would strongly recommend google classroom if your school have it for collecting work. It’s much easier to have all work arrive in under the students name than be getting 200+emails a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

China has experienced an increase in domestic violence and trauma. Ours might be a familiar voice from the outside world helping to provide some measure of nomality. Ultimately all we can do is our best to support each other and our students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭salonfire

We have specifically been told if recording at home it should the the screen/hand etc and not full teacher or a two way video set up.

I’m Music and Maths. In music it will mostly be assignment work and not much demo needed. In maths I’ve funded my own iPad and Apple Pencil so I’ll screen record demos and then set them work to do and open up a discussion post on google classroom so they can discuss it (same as they would in school-ask three before me is policy in my classroom). However I am lucky that my husband works from home and we have 1gb broadband in the house for that already.

I would strongly recommend google classroom if your school have it for collecting work. It’s much easier to have all work arrive in under the students name than be getting 200+emails a day

Teachers are entitled to €600 per year in flat rate expenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’m not recording any images of myself and I would strongly advise all teachers not to either. Once it’s out there you lose you your control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’m not recording any images of myself and I would strongly advise all teachers not to either. Once it’s out there you lose you your control over it.

There are a lot of resources online for primary school age I plan on printing some work for my own kids regardless of the schools plan if they do close.
    Twinkl have offered a free month of access to parents and teachers.
    It's possibly harder for older kids to work from home but if everyone is on the same page then it's easily done.
    I'm not planning on leaving them do nothing while they are off I'll keep them busy with some arts and crafts and worksheets.
    I know that's not possible for everyone but I'm a SAHM so it's doable.
    But not everyone will be able to continue working it's going to have a huge impact on everything.

There are a lot of resources online for primary school age I plan on printing some work for my own kids regardless of the schools plan if they do close.
    Twinkl have offered a free month of access to parents and teachers.
    It's possibly harder for older kids to work from home but if everyone is on the same page then it's easily done.
    I'm not planning on leaving them do nothing while they are off I'll keep them busy with some arts and crafts and worksheets.
    I know that's not possible for everyone but I'm a SAHM so it's doable.
    But not everyone will be able to continue working it's going to have a huge impact on everything.

I think most people will be stay at home workers where possible in next month..

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

doc_17 wrote: »

Your right not to. And you shouldn't either.
    There are so many other ways to communicate.
    Making some work packs to take home with a plan.
    Did you see what happened the homework Ap in China they all gave it one star and it was taken off the App Store so no one got homework. Clever kids

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Firblog wrote: »
    I don't know how you can say that, how can you know what every other teacher intends to do?

"Unless the state wants to fund a personal computer for me and every other secondary teachers they can fxxxx off insisting on teachers working from home"

that's a quote from one of your colleagues earlier in the thread.. he deffo sounds like he's chomping at the bit to help his students when/if the schools close. Thats one of the reasons I was suggesting that teachers without access to tech should go into their schools to provide lessons for their students, as he and others really don't sound too enamored with the idea of providing any help from home.

The key words I used was insisting. My vernacular was over the top but results from years of chronically underfunded IT in schools . I do plan to help students but it will be my own decision. There can't be any insistence for practical reasons. Nobody here is a colleague of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

wrangler wrote: »

Oh, just grow up will you.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm sure the department will issue clear guidelines on assisting pupils while schools closed.
    Probably e mail only and through school emails.
    Anything else is fraught with difficulties as video can be altered.
    Perhaps schools will be open here and there to allow access to computers .
    I really wonder about the amount of non teachers posting here. Should they not concern themselves with their own jobs or family?If they have kids - things will be decided in the department. I doubt the minister is reading this thread looking for ideas. Even mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I really wonder about the amount of non teachers posting here. Should they not concern themselves with their own jobs or family?

Well I could be wrong but I'd imagine the children the teachers are teaching are someone's family.

Personally I'm old school, as most parents probably are, I don't see a problem with providing paper notes and worksheets etc. It will fall back on parents/carers to sit down with their children, but that's parenting.

Obviously students who have parents with an interest will do better, but that's always the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Firblog

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I really wonder about the amount of non teachers posting here.

Personally I just dropped in to check out if schools were closing or not but stayed to make sure you're not all stuck in a echo chamber, don't worry though when the inevitable happens I'll not darken the door of your forum again :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement