Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus- All schools to close? [MOD NOTE POST 346

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

That's what you're going to pick on? A typing error? Some people never miss an opportunity to bash teachers.

2% is the mortality rate. 85k as 2% of the population would give a figure of 4.25 million which is a little short of the actual population, but the point still stands.

Can't understand when people are looking at the statistics, that they are picking the anomaly (Italy) rather than looking at the overall picture in Europe (every other country).

the fact that he was able to identify a teacher on a teacher's forum tells you the guy is a genius:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Patient 1 in Italy presented himself to his local hospital several times and they kept sending him away. If he had been taken in for testing when he first requested the virus would not have spread as much as it has, particularly through their health system.

Today's figures from China are extremely low, only 22 new cases. The Diamond Princess which is effectively a closed system has more than 3000 people on board. 700 got infected, which is a large number, but not surprising given that people are in close quarters. Cruise ships have a older clientele and still the whole ship wasn't infected.

There's a serious amount of tinfoil hat wearing in this thread.
    Both cases of community transmission were only caught because the patients were in hospital and getting to the severe stage of illness. The HSE is not testing those who request it for early symptoms and encouraging them to go out and work. On Fridays late late, Paul Ryan was on the Late Late telling people to "mingle" for their "mental health".

Dangerous moronic advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

When the Italian government announced that schools were closing there was a spike in skiing bookings.

I'm not sure that closing schools would be hugely effective unless everyone stayed at home. That's not going to happen. The petri dish will just move from the local school to the local cinema/Starbucks /street corner. There will be people who will book a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm hoping they close sooner rather than later, my other half has a compromised immune system, and both of my parents are elderly, one of which with existing health conditions, I'm honestly terrified of this spreading to my school and then me unknowingly spreading it to them. I have a cold at the moment but have taken 2 days off hoping that will limit any chances of catching it.

Smart thing would be to close after paddies until after Easter, effectively taking 2.5 weeks off, and see how things progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a message circulating that all schools are closing from Monday, anybody know anything about it or it's just a rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

There's a message circulating that all schools are closing from Monday, anybody know anything about it or it's just a rumour?

Rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Have both messages (voice recordings) both from the same hotel where the BOE had their meeting last night, conflicting messages though as one says all schools to close after Friday and the other saying all schools closing from next Wednesday.

Both cases of community transmission were only caught because the patients were in hospital and getting to the severe stage of illness. The HSE is not testing those who request it for early symptoms and encouraging them to go out and work. On Fridays late late, Paul Ryan was on the Late Late telling people to "mingle" for their "mental health".

Dangerous moronic advice.

Suggesting that people caring about mental health is "moronic". There was 352 deaths due to suicide in Ireland in 2018. As far as I can see, nobody has died of COVID-19 in Ireland yet.

So it's looking like something is on the cards... are they over primary and secondary or just secondary, I presume creches will follow suit as well..

Suggesting that people caring about mental health is "moronic". There was 352 deaths due to suicide in Ireland in 2018. As far as I can see, nobody has died of COVID-19 in Ireland yet.

He was meronic on the late late show, it's just the flu bro was his message...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm not sure creches will close as who will mind the kids? Not straight away anyway.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm not sure you creches will close as who will mind the kids? Not straight away anyway

Same for primary and secondary though granted some of the older ones can mind themselves but not the young ones in primary...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Bobtheman wrote:
    I'm not sure creches will close as who will mind the kids? Not straight away anyway.

Creches should be the first of places to close. I don't understand why the focus is always on primary and secondary schools. They are a breeding ground for everything, no fault to the staff who try to clean and sterilise as much as possible. But when you've children that have no sense on hygiene practises, babies teething and salvating around the room etc, it would be hard to contain any virus spread. I hope all creches will close if the schools close. I know it will be a burden on working parents, but it's one everyone will have to face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Close all schools- take the time out of the summer hols

Why? Also when do they re-open? Ever????

Covid-19 is here, it's not going to suddenly disappear after a couple of weeks.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

billie1b wrote: »
    Have both messages (voice recordings) both from the same hotel where the BOE had their meeting last night, conflicting messages though as one says all schools to close after Friday and the other saying all schools closing from next Wednesday.

A lot of schools have Monday next week off already for Patricks Day as well as Tuesday, so would be closed from Wednesday on.

http://twitter.com/tcddublin/status/1237363644171780103

Trinity moving to online lectures effective tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I’m not going to double post. On the main coronavirus thread I’ve posted a link to a consultant in London who is passing on information from a consultant in Lombardy. There is growing pressure from medical professionals for immediate action and that is beginning to get political traction: those of you on Twitter have seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

The issue of schools closing in the UK was brought up yesterday on Newsnight. The official they were talking with said that its too soon there to do this. Their annual FLU contingency plan allows for schools to be closed, but only if there was a massive outbreak.

Their reasoning is that if you close schools when people are generally well, a lot of parents will need to stay home to look after kids. That has a knock on effect on the country as a whole -especially the health service.

If a load of nurses/doctors suddenly had to stay home to look after children imagine the effects on the health service. And all for minimal effect. All it would take would be one or two infected people to travel to the country 2 weeks after any school closure and we'd be back at square one.

Right now we as a country need to continue to be vigilant on handwashing, not travel to affected regions, not allow people in from affected regions and try to restrict movement.

that will help keep the virus from spreading.

Theres approx 3 full weeks of school left until easter break. IMO we should be hoping to get to Easter without any major outbreak and then there won't be a need for a closure (outside of normal easter holidays).

km79 wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/tcddublin/status/1237363644171780103

Trinity moving to online lectures effective tomorrow

as far as i know they only have about 4 weeks of lecture time left in anycase.

Easter hols and a reading week (or two) until exams in early may.

daheff wrote: »

Right now we as a country need to continue to be vigilant on handwashing, not travel to affected regions, not allow people in from affected regions and try to restrict movement.

But this is not happening
    Look at the amount of Irish going to Cheltenham
    It is still not being taking seriously

Schools will close. It will help. It probably needs to happen unless we want to end up like Italy.
    Their situation has to be learned from quick.
    We are basically doing what they did. Hoping for the best

• Advertisement

Schools will close. It will help. It probably needs to happen unless we want to end up like Italy.
    Their situation has to be learned from quick.
    We are basically doing what they did. Hoping for the best

Actually, No, closing schools is exactly what they did and it resulted in a wider spread when parents there decided to take their children on an impromptu holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

But this is not happening
    Look at the amount of Irish going to Cheltenham
    It is still not being taking seriously

Schools will close. It will help.

how will schools closing help at this stage? 99.999999% of people are not infected.

Nobody is actually spreading the infection in schools right now.

Agreed on Cheltenham. The Irish and UK Govt should step in and stop people going to this festival. If it were an outbreak of foot and mouth it would have stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Italy is the guinea pig for other European countries whereby conventionally methods for dealing with a virus outbreak have failed. The message from Italian people and medics to the rest of Europe is not to repeat what they did. People are literally dying for us to heed that message

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Italy is the guinea pig for other European countries whereby conventionally methods for dealing with a virus outbreak have failed. The message from Italian people and medics to the rest of Europe is not to repeat what they did. People are literally dying for us to heed that message

Italy was no guinea pig, they were dismally lax when it came to dealing with the original outbreak, literally turning them round back into a vulnerable community, it took 3 weeks to recognize what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I'd imagine both messages are actually saying the same thing as the majority of schools are closed Mon and Tues anyway. So schools are closing Friday and not reopening Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paulramone66

We shall have to wait and see. I would not be surprised to be closed or left open. Thre is no rule book for this outbreak.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement