Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus- All schools to close? [MOD NOTE POST 346

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

daheff wrote: »
    how will schools closing help at this stage? 99.999999% of people are not infected.

Nobody is actually spreading the infection in schools right now.

And that's the point of closing the schools down BEFORE the kids are spreading the infection. Once a kid is diagnosed with it, they probably have been spreading it around the school for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

km79 wrote: »

It's Tuesday, were talking about closures in a week's time, the situation will have evolved by then, we'll have cases all over the country confirmed.
    The article doesn't say it won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And that's the point of closing the schools down BEFORE the kids are spreading the infection. Once a kid is diagnosed with it, they probably have been spreading it around the school for a couple of days.

Only 24 people have it in Ireland. Closing the schools in premature. This could go on for a year +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ted1 wrote: »
    Only 24 people have it in Ireland. Closing the schools in premature. This could go on for a year +

We have 24 confirmed. That's not to say we only have 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's Tuesday, were talking about closures in a week's time, the situation will have evolved by then, we'll have cases all over the country confirmed.
    The article doesn't say it won't happen.

Since this has started I have felt we would close for the two weeks before easter along with Easter
    Still think that’s the most likely scenario
    But things can change/are changing quickly so who knows
    Might just shut down from paddys day on alright
    For the sake of 3 more days if they think it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Here is this afternoon's statement from the DES.

"The Department of Education and Skills is liaising closely with the Department of Health on a continuing basis.

Any decision to close schools will be made on public health advice. There is no such advice at this point. It is essential that any decisions regarding responses to Covid-19 are proportionate, necessary and based on specific public health advice. No other response is appropriate.

Public health professionals will contact schools if there is any action to be taken. Schools should not take unilateral action.

Schools, pre-schools and higher education settings have been provided with advice and guidance in respect of Covid-19. There is up to date guidance for schools and parents on education.ie/covid19.

The Department is deeply conscious of the significance of decisions concerning school closures, and the potential impact any such decisions would have on parents, families and the wider community.

This is an evolving situation and the health advice is being updated on a daily basis. The Department of Education and Skills and Department of Health will continue to work closely together on this issue."

Can you believe that there is not one mention of the health or wellbeing of teachers in this statement? We are literally being thrown to the dogs on this as regards the decision-making process. What about teachers who have vulnerable family members etc? But even the sheer insensitivity of a Department of Education that completely omits to mention the wellbeing of its teachers at a time like this. Very poor form.

168 dead in Italy. TODAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

linguist wrote: »
    Here is this afternoon's statement from the DES.

"The Department of Education and Skills is liaising closely with the Department of Health on a continuing basis.

Any decision to close schools will be made on public health advice. There is no such advice at this point. It is essential that any decisions regarding responses to Covid-19 are proportionate, necessary and based on specific public health advice. No other response is appropriate.

Public health professionals will contact schools if there is any action to be taken. Schools should not take unilateral action.

Schools, pre-schools and higher education settings have been provided with advice and guidance in respect of Covid-19. There is up to date guidance for schools and parents on education.ie/covid19.

The Department is deeply conscious of the significance of decisions concerning school closures, and the potential impact any such decisions would have on parents, families and the wider community.

This is an evolving situation and the health advice is being updated on a daily basis. The Department of Education and Skills and Department of Health will continue to work closely together on this issue."

Can you believe that there is not one mention of the health or wellbeing of teachers in this statement? We are literally being thrown to the dogs on this as regards the decision-making process. What about teachers who have vulnerable family members etc? But even the sheer insensitivity of a Department of Education that completely omits to mention the wellbeing of its teachers at a time like this. Very poor form.

They had to make that statement because there are plenty of people online spreading rumours that schools are going to close when no such announcement has been made.

If people keep spreading rumours they will have to keep making such statements.

168 dead in Italy. TODAY

20 people died in Ireland today from smoking. No mass panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone else's schools suddenly have App pop up on the teachers page for video links, conference calls, etc?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ThePott

In no way is this the same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

There is also no mention of students in the statement. The statement is about schools. I think we can safely assume that everyone schools are populated, in the main, by students and teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

ThePott wrote: »

This was just a couple of months ago and people dying

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/flu-season-deaths-ireland-2019-21189972

where was the reaction then?

similar every year

there was a report only recently about the increases in measles and mumps and hardly an eyelid batted

Which is why I chose not to smoke
    And not to surround myself with those that do

Anyway
    http://twitter.com/JCforTeachers/status/1237434473064673281

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Can you believe that there is not one mention of the health or wellbeing of teachers in this statement?

the statement says they will follow health advice. a school is a building, the health advice is obviously about the risk to the people in the school

if they got advice that teachers (and indeed students) wellbeing was at risk then they'd take action

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I have kids doing exams so I hope not,
    Mass panic isn’t helping, if I was religious I’d nearly believe it was gods will we are out growing the earth

ThePott wrote: »
    It’s a fair comparison, One is easily preventable and for a minimal price yet nothing is done. And there’s no mass hysteria.

The other one only 24 people in Ireland have and in most cases it’s just a fever

Riskymove wrote: »
    This was just a couple of months ago and people dying
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/flu-season-deaths-ireland-2019-21189972
    where was the reaction then?
    similar every year
    there was a report only recently about the increases in measles and mumps and hardly an eyelid batted
    Well;
    A) We have flu vaccines. We do not have a Coronavirus vaccine atm.

B) It's 19 deaths in a year. Not saying this is not a shocking number but over a year, it's less alarming. This has the possibility of being far more serious.

I'm not saying people aren't being alarmist but people writing this off as just a flu are the opposite extreme. The truth lies somewhere in the middle but exercising caution would be preferable to any loss of life.

It’s a fair comparison, One is easily preventable and for a minimal price yet nothing is done. And there’s no mass hysteria.
    The other one only 24 people in Ireland have and in most cases it’s just a fever
    You just compared death statistics of smoking to a virus. How is that in anyway comparable?

People who die of smoking die of the effects smoking has on the body generally after years of exposure.

You coming into contact with a smoker won't give you a deadly illness and certainly not instantaneously. You might get second hand smoke but you're not gonna be infected with a virus of some kind.

No one is saying Coronavirus is the number one killer in the country but one is a side-effect from people's actions the other can be caused through inaction if they were to come into contact with someone effected by it.

They're very different situations, give over. If you have an issue with the media coverage that would be a different matter but these are clearly different cases and should be handled differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The schools need to close asap, this is going to go downhill very quickly.

• Advertisement

10 new cases just confirmed
    So numbers are doubling
    Time to act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

20Cent wrote: »
    The schools need to close asap, this is going to go downhill very quickly.

How many school going kids have been infected worldwide ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

how are the 34 confirmed patients ?Are they in ICU ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

10 new cases just confirmed
    So numbers are doubling
    Time to act

would that not be 24 new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

How many school going kids have been infected worldwide ?

Dunno, but it's doubling every few days do the maths. It's not kids I'm worried about it's their parents and grandparents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Unless the state wants to fund a personal computer for me and every other secondary teachers they can fxxxx off insisting on teachers working from home. All a teacher can say is they don't own one.
    However I can see union /government talks on some flexibility. Ie we might start back in early August.
    We saw during the crash you just need a bit of emergency legislation to move teachers in the" right " direction.
    Anything I do from home will be voluntary
    I must agree with the fact that we should be provided with a laptop of similar, we were given a PC each by a previous principal but that’s more than 10years age so all are no obsolete, even after many, many requests we have not been given any technology, a PC per room was purchased but practically no one uses them as you can’t prepare work on them. We are miserably equipped to work from home in my school anyway. To add to that my home internet access can be very hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

If all schools should close(which I think is nonsense)then all offices and factories should close also!?
    I can't think of anything worse to happen to any Country,bar a nuclear bomb.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

solerina wrote: »
    I must agree with the fact that we should be provided with a laptop of similar, we were given a PC each by a previous principal but that’s more than 10years age so all are no obsolete, even after many, many requests we have not been given any technology, a PC per room was purchased but practically no one uses them as you can’t prepare work on them. We are miserably equipped to work from home in my school anyway. To add to that my home internet access can be very hit and miss.

Schools were given thousands in IT funding in the last 3 years in 3 installments. Where did the money go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If they close the schools then they also need to introduce legislation or something to ensure we haven’t got hoards of teenagers roaming around towns and shopping centres while they’re off as that will negate the reason for closing schools. Parents need to be made responsible in some way...but I have no idea how that would work or be enforceable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

I think the point is being missed that this virus has the potential to completely over-run the health system should it not be contained. Thats why every country is worried.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement