Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable for future electric gate.

Options
  • 06-03-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting my driveway paved and while unable to do everything at once want to prepare as an electric gate will probably be next on the list for outside. If we go with a sliding gate it will only fit on one side so the cable will have to cross the driveway hence wanting to lay it now before the work.
    Its 25m or so from fuse box to maximum likely positioning of motor. Any gate will be no more than 1m high and a 3m gap so not a huge heavy gate.

Anyone have any recommendations on the SWA to use? I don't want a company saying nah, that cable is not suitable so happy to err on the higher end.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

I'm getting my driveway paved and while unable to do everything at once want to prepare as an electric gate will probably be next on the list for outside. If we go with a sliding gate it will only fit on one side so the cable will have to cross the driveway hence wanting to lay it now before the work.
    Its 25m or so from fuse box to maximum likely positioning of motor. Any gate will be no more than 1m high and a 3m gap so not a huge heavy gate.

Anyone have any recommendations on the SWA to use? I don't want a company saying nah, that cable is not suitable so happy to err on the higher end.

Thanks

Best thing to do is have a few companies quote for the job and while there ask them what cables you should run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Don't just run SWA, also run a few multi core cables to the house like outdoor cat5e or 4 or 5 pair poly poly to pulse open the gate and intercom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

are you thinking about put lights out by gate? Run a few cat 6 / poly poly from Gate location to House if you can get cables into house?

These are can used for PIR sensors, which are needed, also you idealy should have a cable from Gate location back to house for Intercom.

id advise running ducting between the 2 x pilars this will allow you run cabling to either side, put a man hole at each side .

Also put down pull sting this will allow you replace cables easier down the road if you have to.
    and will save you digging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Thanks for the responses. Hadn't even thought about lights or voice cables. Just assumed once you laid power everything else would be wireless. Hence posting here to get some opinions.
    The ducting across the driveway at the gate would be easy enough but along the side passage not as straight forward as I'd want the intercom/video if installed in a different room to the power source.
    So may as well talk to a professional before we start the driveway.
    Cheers again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Thanks for the responses. Hadn't even thought about lights or voice cables. Just assumed once you laid power everything else would be wireless. Hence posting here to get some opinions.
    The ducting across the driveway at the gate would be easy enough but along the side passage not as straight forward as I'd want the intercom/video if installed in a different room to the power source.
    So may as well talk to a professional before we start the driveway.
    Cheers again.

The intercom can also be done with a GSM intercom that takes a SIM card and rings your landline/mobile but best to have at lease a duct to give you other options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Run the red ESB suitable conduit.

Think of outside lighting also if it is something you may like to add after.

Be worth putting in the run and it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you can the duct is the best idea also one from one pillar to the other to allow for sensors etc, if you can’t I’d run a 3*4 swa and a poly/poly as a minimum.

Advertisement