Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankly and Honestly

• 06-03-2020 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

It's piss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Worst coffee out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Am I imagining it but do they have an actual stand alone coffee shop in Dublin on South Great Georges Street? I know they are Centra (I think) but this place is only a coffee shop. Wonder if the coffee is any better in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

People will buy any auld garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Akula

I actually like it. Certainly a big step up for convenience store coffee. But obviously not a ‘specialty’ offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I like it. Often get one in Centra. I'm not a big coffee lover...but happy to have one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Akula wrote: »
    I actually like it. Certainly a big step up for convenience store coffee. But obviously not a ‘specialty’ offering.

It isn't really, just slap a brand name on any old piss water and market it as an upmarket brand. It's a long way behind Insomnia, Bewleys, Seattle and lots of other convenience store coffees

Before it was introduced the stores were free to use whatever brand they wanted and keep the earnings with this the earnings are all made by Musgraves.

I've noticed Musgraves also do this with their own brand craft beers (journeyman), can change to a completely different supplier in the morning and pass it off to the customer as the label doesn't say where is sourced from. At the moment journeyman tastes fine but could change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It isn't really, just slap a brand name on any old piss water and market it as an upmarket brand. It's a long way behind Insomnia, Bewleys, Seattle and lots of other convenience store coffees

Before it was introduced the stores were free to use whatever brand they wanted and keep the earnings with this the earnings are all made by Musgraves.

I've noticed Musgraves also do this with their own brand craft beers (journeyman), can change to a completely different supplier in the morning and pass it off to the customer as the label doesn't say where is sourced from. At the moment journeyman tastes fine but could change

Journeyman IPA is lovely stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Journeyman IPA is lovely stuff

Agreed, I like it myself, but they could change to a different brewery in the morning using the same label

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Absolute muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭dollylama

Strangely I find their cappuccinos far better than the other outlets but their plain coffee is dreadful. How's that?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Am I imagining it but do they have an actual stand alone coffee shop in Dublin on South Great Georges Street? I know they are Centra (I think) but this place is only a coffee shop. Wonder if the coffee is any better in there?

It’s a Musgraves brand that’s available to its franchisees (which would be owners of Centra and most Supervalus). Many just use their self-serve machines but some seem to have gone as far as to carve off some floor-space to create a standalone cafe.

I think that’s what’s happened on St Great George’s St... In terms of the coffee being any better - I wouldn’t say so; as long as they’re using the same beans it’s not going to be hugely different from the bagged stuff and what’s in the self-serve machines.

As far as I know that’s not correct.

Franchisees are still free to use other brands - but Musgraves actually offer pretty good terms if they go with Frank and Honest. It makes sense because Musgraves get nothing if a shop does a deal with Insomnia etc, but can at least get some part of the revenue if it’s F&H.

(For what it’s worth I think their coffee is gack too... I also think the brand is awful. Interestingly, Donnybrook Fair - which is now part of Musgraves - has a coffee partnership with Bewleys under the brand ‘Broo’. It’s a better name and better coffee... would love to see them swap it out for F&H but doubt they will).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Musgraves spotted that they were losing out on a big profit line in the shops. Because the shops have to trade Musgrave products at 90/95%, they are forcing them to use their coffee brand.
    Their deal works on a sliding scale, depending on volume of sales. This penalises smaller stores in the chain, who have to pay €1.43 per fill to Musgraves. They just gouged their own franchisees and lessened the store's profit.
    No opinion on the coffee as I don't drink it, but my nieces like it.

Advertisement