Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

bigpink wrote: »
    Serious lack of courtesy and social distancing by the river suicide patrol last night
    Group of 4 no social distance and they didnt even stop at a narrow point to let people pass

Odd, because I've seen them several times over the last couple of weeks and they've been practicing physical distancing every time...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

give them a pass, its a tough job

Its a tough job yes but when on regular patrol in the current climate i thought it any important services would be given guidelines.Prob a once off i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Albany home decor not covering themselves in glory, announced a new delivery service yesterday and it's been shutdown this morning I imagine by the gardai similar to Limerick Paints last week.

I see The Wine Buff are doing home deliveries now also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

bigpink wrote: »
    Serious lack of courtesy and social distancing by the river suicide patrol last night
    Group of 4 no social distance and they didnt even stop at a narrow point to let people pass

Not always possible for emergency responders to maintain social distancing.
    As for letting people pass, next time you stop, smile at them, and thank them for their service...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

kilburn wrote: »
    Albany home decor not covering themselves in glory, announced a new delivery service yesterday and it's been shutdown this morning I imagine by the gardai similar to Limerick Paints last week.

I see The Wine Buff are doing home deliveries now also.....
    Wine is essential surely 😂🍷

How are range managing to stay open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

A temporary morgue with capacity of up to 500 bodies is being built in Sarsfield Barracks. Did anyone find out what was going on at Cleeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

pigtown wrote: »
    A temporary morgue with capacity of up to 500 bodies is being built in Sarsfield Barracks. Did anyone find out what was going on at Cleeves?

According to the Irish Times we have passed peak infection rates and the final death toll will (Unfortunately) be over 400 by August. Hopefully that particular facility won't be needed as it looks like we are coming out the other side of this dreadful situation
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-s-infection-peak-has-passed-toll-may-hit-400-by-august-report-forecasts-1.4223043

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

scrubs33 wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times we have passed peak infection rates and the final death toll will (Unfortunately) be over 400 by August. Hopefully that particular facility won't be needed as it looks like we are coming out the other side of this dreadful situation
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-s-infection-peak-has-passed-toll-may-hit-400-by-august-report-forecasts-1.4223043
    The estimate of 400 possible deaths here that they are making is based on the current restrictions remaining in place until then - August. The government faces a difficult decision after Easter - whether to lift or ease some or all of the current limits or continue on the present course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

chicorytip wrote: »
    The estimate of 400 possible deaths here that they are making is based on the current restrictions remaining in place until then - August. The government faces a difficult decision after Easter - whether to lift or ease some or all of the current limits or continue on the present course.

The decision will be made before the end of this week and you can guarantee another two weeks being announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My mother is going to crack up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is not the time to thinking about letting the guard down, this is just the result of people staying at home, a proven vaccine is still at least 12 months away so it is still a very transmittable threat and people need to continue to be vigilant and respect social distancing. Normal life is a long way off yet so don't be thinking you will be sitting on a beach in Spain in June or July enjoying the sun.

Yes the signs are positive but we are just managing it's spread, we haven't irradiated it yet.

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is not the time to thinking about letting the guard down, this is just the result of people staying at home, a proven vaccine is still at least 12 months away so it is still a very transmittable threat and people need to continue to be vigilant and respect social distancing. Normal life is a long way off yet so don't be thinking you will be sitting on a beach in Spain in June or July enjoying the sun.

Yes the signs are positive but we are just managing it's spread, we haven't irradiated it yet.

Yeah I think they resigned to the fact there will be no holidays abroad this year, the British Gov have told there's an indefinite ban on travel

Nobody will be going on any summer holidays, but from and economic and mental health POV, the lockdown can't go on that far either. They'll have to start relaxing measures.

Social distancing and the ban on mass gatherings could be in place for the rest of the year, but businesses will have to reopen and people will have to go back to work sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Hooked

Mc Love wrote: »
    My mother is going to crack up :D

What about your (recently retired) father? :D

Hooked wrote: »
    What about your (recently retired) father? :D

Divorced by the end of it I reckon

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah I think they resigned to the fact there will be no holidays abroad this year, the British Gov have told there's an indefinite ban on travel
    Nobody will be going on any summer holidays, but from and economic and mental health POV, the lockdown can't go on that far either. They'll have to start relaxing measures.

Social distancing and the ban on mass gatherings could be in place for the rest of the year, but businesses will have to reopen and people will have to go back to work sooner rather than later.

I agree in a phased approach but can you imagine the day the pubs open again? You know there won't be room to swing a cat in one that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I agree in a phased approach but can you imagine the day the pubs open again? You know there won't be room to swing a cat in one that day.
    The pubs won't be re-opened anytime soon unfortunately. Difficult to see how anything which is indoor and involves different groups mixing can re-open until we get some sort of treatment or rapid testing.

I'd expect a relaxation in certain areas e.g. shops can open if there are no more than a certain amount of people inside per square metre, construction sites restarted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They can put occupancy limits and social distancing measures on pubs the same as any other type of business they decide to relax measures on, no?

I'm about ready to hop the fence of the Curragower with a bag of cans just for the sensation of being in a beer garden :D

Pubs will eventually have to open, it's a massive tax take for the Government and I'm sure there will be lobbying from the likes of the vintners and owners too. Enforcement would be the issue with social distancing in such environments and you can be sure there will be crowds outside the first day they reopen. Pubs by their very nature are not designed for social distancing, they are quite the opposite really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Pubs will eventually have to open, it's a massive tax take for the Government and I'm sure there will be lobbying from the likes of the vintners and owners too. Enforcement would be the issue with social distancing in such environments and you can be sure there will be crowds outside the first day they reopen. Pubs by their very nature are not designed for social distancing, they are quite the opposite really.

I would think that even when pubs eventually re-open, a certain age group and people with underlying health conditions will be very wary of venturing into crowded environments and we won't see any packed pubs like in days of yore.

Even before the present crisis, pubs had become quiet and now, post-corona, they'll be even quieter. It will be a trickle back to business rather than crowded bars.

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    I would think that even when pubs eventually re-open, a certain age group and people with underlying health conditions will be very wary of venturing into crowded environments and we won't see any packed pubs like in days of yore.

Even before the present crisis, pubs had become quiet and now, post-corona, they'll be even quieter. It will be a trickle back to business rather than crowded bars.

In the long run you may be correct. But when they initially reopen they'll be rammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

keane2097 wrote: »

I'm about ready to hop the fence of the Curragower with a bag of cans just for the sensation of being in a beer garden :D

🀣 one of my mates had a similar idea. Turned him down, think I'm past bush drinking in my 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

A heads-up: there are a few slots for the Corbally SuperValu from 17–25 April if you're quick. I guess they've just hired an extra man+van or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Comhra wrote: »

Did you see the footage of Temple Bar pre-lockdown??! :pac: In all seriousness, I cannot agree with this assertion, if anything the pubs have been busier than ever in the last few years - obviously correlating with an improving economy since the crash. The pubs are usually a good barometer of economic health. Even in Limerick for example, look at the amount of pubs which have opened in the last 5/6 years. I'm from a rural village with 5 pubs, and they're nearly always packed at the weekends - although maybe that's more of a reflection on our inhabitants than anything else! :D Ultimately though, it will certainly be a challenging time for pubs, but they'll pull through. Not only are Irish people fond of a pint, but I think this period of isolation has convinced me that we're even more fond of a chat and a bit of craic, which the pub provides in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

hmmm wrote: »
    The pubs won't be re-opened anytime soon unfortunately. Difficult to see how anything which is indoor and involves different groups mixing can re-open until we get some sort of treatment or rapid testing.

I'd expect a relaxation in certain areas e.g. shops can open if there are no more than a certain amount of people inside per square metre, construction sites restarted etc.
    How so can Sweden still have up to 50 people in their pubs and you say ours won't reopen'anytime soon '. I have a friend working I Sweden. Has a casual drink in his local a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

My understanding is the will only deliver to pensioners which is fine it's on their Facebook page or website they want everyone else to click and collect or shop in-store.

Glenomra wrote: »
    How so can Sweden still have up to 50 people in their pubs and you say ours won't reopen'anytime soon '. I have a friend working I Sweden. Has a casual drink in his local a few times a week.

Because Sweden is an outlier and has no lock down at all. They have one of the highest instances of the disease per head of population in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Because Sweden is an outlier and has no lock down at all. They have one of the highest instances of the disease per head of population in Europe.
    Sweden has the ninth highest rate of deaths per million in Europe. Despite our lockdown we have the eleventh highest rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I am on calls with colleagues in Sweden daily.

they are only counting deaths of people who have no underlying conditions as Covid-19 deaths.

If you had cancer/heart problems, got Covid-19 and died they are no counting that as a Covid 19 death.

Its crazy, Swedish people have a huge trust in government but this is starting to erode as a result of their handling of the crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Heavy Garda presence on the Shannon Bridge stopping all cars coming into the city plus also on Bishops Quay - stopping cars and also moving people on who are not socially distanced.....stay with people from your bubble and within 2kms of home base unless you have a valid reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement