Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thursday through Sunday are the worst days to go to the supermarket as everyone else seems to do the same. I went to Tesco in the Crescent Shopping Centre yesterday evening about 7pm and it was nice and quiet, no queuing and plenty of stock. After 6pm most evenings seems to be quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Tesco Crescent opens at 7am on the weekends - no queue at all. Priority hours are up until 9am Monday-Friday, keep that in mind if going on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Coonagh around 11:40am had zero queue at the door or tills. Really well stocked although soap was very low and lots of soap out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tesco Crescent opens at 7am on the weekends - no queue at all. Priority hours are up until 9am Monday-Friday, keep that in mind if going on weekdays.

Those that 7am not apply on the weekends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Mc Love wrote: »
    Those that 7am not apply on the weekends?

According to their website it's weekdays only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

YFlyer wrote: »
    Queueing up outside Aldi, Dublin road. The queue is back beyond the length of the store.

Far too many in pairs and threes.

If they changed the regulations such that people are only supposed to go to the shop alone I didn't see it anywhere, so I suggest this either isn't a rule that has been imposed or it's been very poorly communicated.

I've seen a few shops telling people at the door that must separate when going inside, but this seems to be ad hoc and I only learned it on getting to the door of one place the other day. There's no reason why people from the same house shouldn't be queuing together regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

keane2097 wrote: »
    If they changed the regulations such that people are only supposed to go to the shop alone I didn't see it anywhere, so I suggest this either isn't a rule that has been imposed or it's been very poorly communicated.

I've seen a few shops telling people at the door that must separate when going inside, but this seems to be ad hoc and I only learned it on getting to the door of one place the other day. There's no reason why people from the same house shouldn't be queuing together regardless.
    My opninion, but if X number of people are allowed into a shop at anyone time then why should people in pairs or 3s have to go in together, it just menas that other's have to wait until they come out. It's a worldwide crisis, we talk about essential trips, unless you need help why is there someone shopping with you?

The_Dave wrote: »
    My opninion, but if X number of people are allowed into a shop at anyone time then why should people in pairs or 3s have to go in together, it just menas that other's have to wait until they come out. It's a worldwide crisis, we talk about essential trips, unless you need help why is there someone shopping with you?

In every case I've seen where it's 'one trolley per customer' a pair that gets to the front of the line are allowed in one at a time. If a shop is letting people in as twos or threes it is presumably doing so when twos and threes are leaving. It's 'one in, one out'.

Not everyone sharing a house shares groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

In every case I've seen where it's 'one trolley per customer' a pair that gets to the front of the line are allowed in one at a time. If a shop is letting people in as twos or threes it is presumably doing so when twos and threes are leaving. It's 'one in, one out'.

Not everyone sharing a house shares groceries.
    Good point, but I would counter with why do they share the trip to the suprermarket then...
    We could debate it for the day, but I don't personally don't see the need, and my interpreation of what the poster meant was 2s or 3s that din't need to be there in a group, perhaps I minsinterpreted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Since the week before St. Patrick's Day I have been going to the shop alone, leaving the wife and kids at home.

No point in more than one of us being there, only increases the probability of someone in the house potentially contracting the virus.

• Advertisement

The_Dave wrote: »
    Good point, but I would counter with why do they share the trip to the suprermarket then...
    We could debate it for the day, but I don't personally don't see the need, and my interpreation of what the poster meant was 2s or 3s that din't need to be there in a group, perhaps I minsinterpreted it

Go together, come home together, disinfect your items, clean your surfaces and wash your hands. Seems more sensible than doing all the above twice. Moreso if not everyone sharing the house has a car.

More to the point, is this a rule or recommendation that has been made by the government or the HSE that I have missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw the sign at Tesco Coonagh which said 1 person per Trolley but I don't know if they truly stick to it.

Berty wrote: »
    I saw the sign at Tesco Coonagh which said 1 person per Trolley but I don't know if they truly stick to it.

Honestly when I saw the sign first I hadn't a clue what they were getting at. There must be a better way to communicate it, like 'shopping in pairs or groups is prohibited' would surely be much clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Go together, come home together, disinfect your items, clean your surfaces and wash your hands. Seems more sensible than doing all the above twice. Moreso if not everyone sharing the house has a car.

More to the point, is this a rule or recommendation that has been made by the government or the HSE that I have missed?

When you say disinfect do you mean anti bacterial wipes etc as its a virus that's pointless, warm soapy water is the only way to clean stuff or leave in the packaging for 5 days

kilburn wrote: »
    When you say disinfect do you mean anti bacterial wipes etc as its a virus that's pointless, warm soapy water is the only way to clean stuff or leave in the packaging for 5 days

It's transmitted by droplets right, wipe off the droplet and where does the virus end up? We've been wiping most stuff that comes into our house down with sanitiser anyway, same for surfaces after groceries etc have been on them. Worst case I doubt it does any harm and at least gives the feeling that you're doing something.

True doing similar but washing rather than wiping.

Either way hope everyone of the Limerick forum regulars are keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The security guard only allowed one person in at a time regardless if they were on their own or not.

True doing similar but washing rather than wiping.

You have made me think soapy water would be a better substance to use so thanks for that!

I see this evening Holohan has said that the virus is effectively contained in the general population and that the only ongoing issue is containing it within nursing homes so I think we should probably be reasonably pleased with how well everyone has bought into the restrictions. Fingers crossed there's some silver bullet coming for the care home settings.

keane2097 wrote:
    You have made me think soapy water would be a better substance to use so thanks for that!

Apparently the virus has an outer protein layer which is essentially fat and the warm not hot soapy water causes it to breakdown.

Plus it's cheaper than packet after packet of wipes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Havent washed anything down that I've brought in. Made my own mind up listening to some experts on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Mc Love wrote: »
    Havent washed anything down that I've brought in. Made my own mind up listening to some experts on the matter.

Same! I am practicing social distancing and good hand hygiene, etc and sticking to a small shop for essentials once a day. I bring the kids for a walk and to kick a ball in an empty field next to the house when there is nobody around but I have stopped watching and reading everything and any anxiety over the matter is gone, stress can really weaken your immune system so I have chosen to largely ignore most of the updates on a daily basis and I am actually enjoying my time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 singmeasongy

[QUOTE=tony1980;113183688 sticking to a small shop for essentials once a day[/QUOTE]

You could reduce these daily shop trip Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

bazz26 wrote: »
    Thursday through Sunday are the worst days to go to the supermarket as everyone else seems to do the same. I went to Tesco in the Crescent Shopping Centre yesterday evening about 7pm and it was nice and quiet, no queuing and plenty of stock. After 6pm most evenings seems to be quieter.

I am confused as to what day it is......I did get caught at a shop queuing for an hour with my two kids In the car thankfully my 12 year old is a patient fella and kept his sister happy. Herself is working so I had no choice but to take them

Three people in a group queuing up for Aldi. Looks like a mother, son about 12 and daughter 16 or 17. Madness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Three people in a group queuing up for Aldi. Looks like a mother, son about 12 and daughter 16 or 17. Madness.

Are people seriously still nitpicking about silly little things like that? It's valley of the squinting windows kind of stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just ignore the trolls folks, they'llgo away then. They are immune to logic & reason and thrive only on attention

Gaspode wrote: »
    Just ignore the trolls folks, they'llgo away then. They are immune to logic & reason and thrive only on attention

Yes true. They don't understand if a group is more than one, then others will have to wait longer to do their shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Yes true. They don't understand if a group is more than one, then others will have to wait longer to do their shopping.

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Apparently the virus has an outer protein layer which is essentially fat and the warm not hot soapy water causes it to breakdown.

Plus it's cheaper than packet after packet of wipes

Everything in the sink and washed with Fairy liquid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Are people seriously still nitpicking about silly little things like that? It's valley of the squinting windows kind of stuff.

The problem is when they decide to queue up behind you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement