Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The problem is when they decide to queue up behind you.

Had this happen in Lidl the other evening and the security guard when buck ape at the person behind me. I felt like tipping him because I was about to ask them to stay a bit back. Then 2... unsavory characters tried to jump to the queue straight to the top screaming about how they refuse to wait. He just told them to leave if they don't like it, the 2 of them had the walk of shame to the back of the queue. It's like a brawl to do a bit of grocery shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Took a spin into Dunnes Childers Road yesterday morning around 9ish.

Got a bit of a surprise to see the Garda checkpoint was still in place at Ballysimon but they were pleasant enough tbh.

There was a small enough queue at Dunnes (back up as far as Lifestyle Sports) but it was well organised and moved quickly. No hassles or people acting the eejit in store either....shelves well stocked...the only thing I couldn't find was baking flour but I'm sure we'll survive without it.

Flew through at the till...if anything I found this less stressful than a 'normal' shop.

Haven't been out much besides really....I think this week will be tough going for people...its been a long haul and I can see people starting to get restless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Whoosh

I know the person is referring to me.

Supermacs Tipperary road be opening next week for business.

The crowd living next door to Lidl in Castletroy were in this evening in their droves. Picking up everything, putting it back and pawing sliced pans to see if they were fresh. Kids running wild. Young fella about 13 eating something he picked from the bakery section. This pandemic means nothing to these vermin.

• Advertisement

The crowd living next door to Lidl in Castletroy were in this evening in their droves. Picking up everything, putting it back and pawing sliced pans to see if they were fresh. Kids running wild. Young fella about 13 eating something he picked from the bakery section. This pandemic means nothing to these vermin.

Lucky they don't shop in Aldi. I be trolling if I complain.

Remember them in a group years ago coming into Lidl. The security guy went AWOL and they all in unison walked to the drinks section. Picked up a bottle of vodka and walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

YFlyer wrote: »
    I know the person is referring to me.

He’s not, I don’t believe. There were some deleted posts

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

What I have learned from this pandemic is you really need to get the shopping done before 11 AM as the PJ wearing bunch and the cultural lot will not be up that early so it's a breeze compared to later in the day.

SNNUS wrote: »
    What I have learned from this pandemic is you really need to get the shopping done before 11 AM as the PJ wearing bunch and the cultural lot will not be up that early so it's a breeze compared to later in the day.

Usually my best time is 10 minutes before closing time. Store then is quiet

He’s not, I don’t believe. There were some deleted posts

Ah okay, fair enough. His foot soldier question my post even though this is a coronavirus thread and that there are threads on social distancing and supermarkets shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Early shopping doesn't just avoid minorities either. On an average non pandemic day anytime before 10am will normally avoid the family brigade because it's a chore to get them up and out earlier.

We shop Saturday mornings in coonagh often around 9am. Nice and quiet. These days I wait in the car. Missus doesn't drive.

I get to people watch as well. Biggest nuisance shopping isn't the minorities but the "can work won't work" family who arrive with children in tow. These are children who are very much old enough to be at home or sit in the car. Then there's the women with feral kids who have zero control over them or a care.

Every other day I pass through Kileely and thomondgate. Honestly you'd wonder if the news of the pandemic has reached them. Packs of kids everywhere hanging around.

[quote="Berty;113213282"

I get to people watch as well. Biggest nuisance shopping isn't the minorities but the "can work won't work" family who arrive with children in tow. These are children who are very much old enough to be at home or sit in the car. Then there's the women with feral kids who have zero control over them or a care.[/quote]

That was my argument yesterday yet got shot down.

I don't know about your comment but I myself am just referring to what I observe whilst waiting in the car. I've been cleaning the car around the side on two of the visits to occupy myself so don't always be sitting in the car judging people to be fair. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well said, I've made a decision to avoid shops for now that are close to halting sites, might help me avoid these kind of situations. Pity as that Lidl is normally my usual shop.

Travellers appear to be gone mad altogether the last week or so - sulky racing, large funerals with people travelling from the UK, a convoy parking up in the Curragh, driving through a Garda checkpoint without stopping. They seem to be taking advantage of the situation.

Berty wrote: »
    I don't know about your comment but I myself am just referring to what I observe whilst waiting in the car. I've been cleaning the car around the side on two of the visits to occupy myself so don't always be sitting in the car judging people to be fair. :D

Currently I'm not blessed to have someone to shop on my behalf. Your car must be spotless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty knows how to keep his bus clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Well said, I've made a decision to avoid shops for now that are close to halting sites, might help me avoid these kind of situations. Pity as that Lidl is normally my usual shop.

Travellers appear to be gone mad altogether the last week or so - sulky racing, large funerals with people travelling from the UK, a convoy parking up in the Curragh, driving through a Garda checkpoint without stopping. They seem to be taking advantage of the situation.
    No that sjust their normal behavior! Its just sticking out even more as the country is in lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Well with the nice weather people are flocking to the river walks in the city center. Council are out there now stencilling in white paint pictures of people walking and an arrow of which direction one should be walking - one direction on each side of the road. Unfortunately the white paint does not really stand out and also the stencils are quite a fair way apart. It is quite interesting watching people park up and meet n greet each other obviously on a prearranged social outing quite often with drinks, picnics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

greenkiwi1 wrote: »
    Well with the nice weather people are flocking to the river walks in the city center. Council are out there now stencilling in white paint pictures of people walking and an arrow of which direction one should be walking - one direction on each side of the road. Unfortunately the white paint does not really stand out and also the stencils are quite a fair way apart. It is quite interesting watching people park up and meet n greet each other obviously on a prearranged social outing quite often with drinks, picnics etc.

I’m one of those who sunburn easily so I’m enjoying a small drink now while watching France v Brazil from the 06 World Cup, absolute bliss! No worrying about going out and seeing what others are doing wrong, anytime I go for a spin in the car, it’s a Diesal so give it a decent run around now and again over the DPI and in the good weather I am seeing this everywhere. Until it’s on your doorstep, the vast majority won’t take this very seriously unfortunately.

Very difficult to avoid big supermarkets near a site in the city. The Crescent maybe. That was actually my first time stepping foot in a big supermarket yesterday in a month or so. Have a small Costcutter near me whos business seems to be booming at the moment and deservedly so. Well stocked, necessary measures in place and all out lovely staff to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

greenkiwi1 wrote: »

Surely more straight forward to close a few lanes to motor traffic. There has been numerous calls to implement this by some local councillors but no action yet.
    1 of the 2 inbound lanes on the Shannon bridge and inbound traffic down the quays could be removed quickly with no major impact.

Surely more straight forward to close a few lanes to motor traffic. There has been numerous calls to implement this by some local councillors but no action yet.
    1 of the 2 inbound lanes on the Shannon bridge and inbound traffic down the quays could be removed quickly with no major impact.

But then you have moaners that say they use the bridge to get to work etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was out for my walk early this morning not many people paying attention to the new markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭greenkiwi1

More stencilling happening now on the boardwalk - yellow smiley faces and the 2m reminder. People still taking no notice. Our WFH office has fantastic views from our Riverpoint apartment down the river Shannon to King Johns castle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

kilburn wrote: »
    Was out for my walk early this morning not many people paying attention to the new markings.

Unless you walk looking to the ground then the stensils aren't very effective.

TBH, I think idea is a load of crap, it's forcing some people to cross the road twice at pinch points like junctions rather then walking and being on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

phog wrote:
    TBH, I think idea is a load of crap, it's forcing some people to cross the road twice at pinch points like junctions rather then walking and being on the move.

Agreed if you are walking from Condell rd you have to walk on dock road side of the bridge cross at bellisimo and cross mallow st again to go down the quays

So will have to do my walk in reverse to be a good citizen !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Once it reminds people not to crowd around together then the spray paint is doing enough. People are trying to be considerate and leave two metres between themselves and others at all times, but unless somebody sneezes/coughs directly at you when you're passing you should be safe to overtake like normal. And most people have learned to cover their mouths and noses now, so that should be reassuring.

Once it reminds people not to crowd around together then the spray paint is doing enough. People are trying to be considerate and leave two metres between themselves and others at all times, but unless somebody sneezes/coughs directly at you when you're passing you should be safe to overtake like normal. And most people have learned to cover their mouths and noses now, so that should be reassuring.

This is a point that is overlooked by many, about passing each other. I've had people nearly throw themselves into Supermarket shelves(in the first few days of this) and recently people crossing the road or leaning back into thorn bushes to let us past. I step off the footpath where possible.

I'll add something that was and odd exchange this morning. A lady in a service station said she wanted a Free Coffee because this Service station is giving Free Tea/Coffee to Frontline workers. Staff asked her who she was working with and it was a nearby Supermarket. I don't think it's right that somebody in a local supermarket should be considering themselves frontline similar to Emergency services that this Tea/Coffee is for.

They do state the guidelines, but yes people are nearly throwing themselves into the road to be out of your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

This stenciling on the footpath is trying to get people to walk on opposite footpaths. You can only lead the horse to the trough... if people feel they cant be bothered to cross roads to walk on opposite sides of road to reduce the risk then so be it. The council can only do so much. With the recent good weather there are large numbers out walking and the idea is to increase the social distance as much as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement