Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Berty wrote: »
    I'll add something that was and odd exchange this morning. A lady in a service station said she wanted a Free Coffee because this Service station is giving Free Tea/Coffee to Frontline workers. Staff asked her who she was working with and it was a nearby Supermarket.
    I don't think it's right that somebody in a local supermarket should be considering themselves frontline similar to Emergency services that this Tea/Coffee is for.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pajoguy wrote: »
    This stenciling on the footpath is trying to get people to walk on opposite footpaths. You can only lead the horse to the trough... if people feel they cant be bothered to cross roads to walk on opposite sides of road to reduce the risk then so be it. The council can only do so much. With the recent good weather there are large numbers out walking and the idea is to increase the social distance as much as possible.

The official guidance is 15 minutes face to face contact with an infected person at less than 2 meters before you're seen as a close contact. You can safely pass someone on the street without crossing to the other side of the road. Unless an infected person coughs or sneezes at you you're fine (And coughs and sneezes travel a lot further than 2m).

Yes follow the guidelines, but please stop with the hysterics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

304 and 304A buses.

Anyone know if these buses are running regularly as shown on the timetables? Are they normally ahead of schedule or just on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

YFlyer wrote: »
    304 and 304A buses.

Anyone know if these buses are running regularly as shown on the timetables? Are they normally ahead of schedule or just on time?

I don’t even think Bus Éireann know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Limerick city bus services running to a Saturday timetable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The official guidance is 15 minutes face to face contact with an infected person at less than 2 meters before you're seen as a close contact. You can safely pass someone on the street without crossing to the other side of the road. Unless an infected person coughs or sneezes at you you're fine (And coughs and sneezes travel a lot further than 2m).

Yes follow the guidelines, but please stop with the hysterics.

To be fair to the poster there are more studies coming from the US and elsewhere with differing opinions on that, but yes what you stated is official guidance.

I wouldn't call their post hysterics we have to make allowances for what's going on in people's lives and their own health both physical and mental in these unusual stressful times, just make an allowance no need to be critical partically in this thread.

I don’t even think Bus Éireann know the answer to that.

I'm guessing ahead of schedule since the buses don't go through the UL campus. Normally at UL they would wait till the allocated departure time.

kilburn wrote: »
    To be fair to the poster there are more studies coming from the US and elsewhere with differing opinions on that, but yes what you stated is official guidance.

I wouldn't call their post hysterics we have to make allowances for what's going on in people's lives and their own health both physical and mental in these unusual stressful times, just make an allowance no need to be critical partically in this thread.

I always make room between myself and someone I'm passing. I'm not however going to cross the road to pass them.

lasno wrote: »
    Limerick city bus services running to a Saturday timetable

Thanks.

I always make room between myself and someone I'm passing. I'm not however going to cross the road to pass them.

That's fine but in some cases you may have to if the path is too narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And I too understand that unless they cough or sneeze, you're grand to pass close, but I've hated people long enough to know that you can't count on the dick you're walking past not to cough or sneeze and cover themselves while doing it. I don't trust people.

And I too understand that unless they cough or sneeze, you're grand to pass close, but I've hated people long enough to know that you can't count on the dick you're walking past not to cough or sneeze and cover themselves while doing it. I don't trust people.

Depends what you read but exercise common sense as you said you can't rely on other people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Mc Love wrote: »
    They do state the guidelines, but yes people are nearly throwing themselves into the road to be out of your way.

People are doing this. You're driving along and people are randomly stepping off the footpath and out on to the road. My nerves are in tatters trying to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

juneg wrote: »
    People are doing this. You're driving along and people are randomly stepping off the footpath and out on to the road. My nerves are in tatters trying to drive

I'm the exact same. This evening on a short stretch of road I had to stop twice over parents cycling on the road against traffic while their kids are cycling on the footpath. I appreciate they want to keep their kids safe but its reckless towards drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

juneg wrote: »
    The pedestrians of Limerick City centre have long been infected with that particular virus. No vaccine will ever be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was out for a cycle this morning and the lad stepped back at least 3 meters - you have to laugh at some people. I wasnt even near him for a second.

Mc Love wrote:
    Was out for a cycle this morning and the lad stepped back at least 3 meters - you have to laugh at some people. I wasnt even near him for a second.

Maybe he has an underlying health condition and is concerned for his health.

Maybe he didn't want you to catch something off of him.

I imagine someone coughing or sneezing while standing or walking wouldn't have the same spread as the same from a cyclist or runner a study last week showed that a jogger should be 6 meters away if they cough or sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

During this lockdown I think everyone needs to be more aware of the people around them, drivers need to reduce speed on all roads where they might encounter pedestrians and or cyclists and they need to expect the unexpected.

Adult cyclists need to say off pavements - there's no excuse now, there's lots of room on the roads for them.

Pedestrians need to have a bit of cop on about when they step onto the road or stop for a physical distancing chat with a friend and dog owners rein in those long dog leads, they're a nuisance to other pedestrians, especially the elderly and to people with a fear of dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

I think people should be more aware of offical guidance anyway regardless COVID-19, it's just there are so many more pedestrians now.

Per the RSA "If there is no footpath, walk/run/jog on the right hand side of the road, facing oncoming traffic and keeping as close as possible to the side of the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People don't read stuff like the RSA/HSE advice let alone other advice to be fair because they don't feel like reading them because , maybe, they assume they're doing it right anyway so why read advice.

Take facebook comments on the Garda page etc(which Limerick leader shares a day later like it's their own news story). People keep banging on about Road Tax which doesn't exist. It's Motor Tax which doesn't just pay for the roads. Doesn't matter how many times people are told they dont listen.

Same applies then for Government advice about the 2kms. Again, Facebook(bad examples of socio demographic you might argue), somebody said about Road Tax(sic) about how they should get a reduction because after all they can only drive within 2kms of their own house. I'm not surprised by peoples stupidity but I'm astounding about how people ingest the information and formualte their own opinion.

I dropped the missus to work and returned back home this morning and I can definitely say that roads are much much busier now which was about 7:45am through Corbally. At the lights by Westbury which were red I was about 7 or 8 cars back. At that hour, when schools are closed for holidays on a normal weekday(sans virus), you wouldn't be that many cars back at 7:45am.

Only one person stepped out in front me this morning, she was walking in the same direction I was driving and because herself and her friend couldn't fit on the footpath she just stepped out without looking. There was an Oil truck coming the same way, couldn't cross the white line so had to slam on the brakes(was doing just under 50kmh thankfully). I got a very dirty look for not killing her. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

The roads were definitely busier yesterday, noticable people are not as diligent as they were. I think many have gone past breaking point

People don't read stuff like the RSA/HSE advice let alone other advice to be fair because they don't feel like reading them because , maybe, they assume they're doing it right anyway so why read advice.

Take facebook comments on the Garda page etc(which Limerick leader shares a day later like it's their own news story). People keep banging on about Road Tax which doesn't exist. It's Motor Tax which doesn't just pay for the roads. Doesn't matter how many times people are told they dont listen.

Same applies then for Government advice about the 2kms. Again, Facebook(bad examples of socio demographic you might argue), somebody said about Road Tax(sic) about how they should get a reduction because after all they can only drive within 2kms of their own house. I'm not surprised by peoples stupidity but I'm astounding about how people ingest the information and formualte their own opinion.

I dropped the missus to work and returned back home this morning and I can definitely say that roads are much much busier now which was about 7:45am through Corbally. At the lights by Westbury which were red I was about 7 or 8 cars back. At that hour, when schools are closed for holidays on a normal weekday(sans virus), you wouldn't be that many cars back at 7:45am.

Only one person stepped out in front me this morning, she was walking in the same direction I was driving and because herself and her friend couldn't fit on the footpath she just stepped out without looking. There was an Oil truck coming the same way, couldn't cross the white line so had to slam on the brakes(was doing just under 50kmh thankfully). I got a very dirty look for not killing her. :P

Re insurance rebates - maybe busier than when the Gardai were doing regular checks, but its still significantly quieter. I've to Drive to Dublin approx once a week and the M7 is a shadow of its former self. Less driving less accidents so there's a case for a rebate.

phog wrote: »
    During this lockdown I think everyone needs to be more aware of the people around them, drivers need to reduce speed on all roads where they might encounter pedestrians and or cyclists and they need to expect the unexpected.

Adult cyclists need to say off pavements - there's no excuse now, there's lots of room on the roads for them.

Pedestrians need to have a bit of cop on about when they step onto the road or stop for a physical distancing chat with a friend and dog owners rein in those long dog leads, they're a nuisance to other pedestrians, especially the elderly and to people with a fear of dogs

Pedestrians also need to be aware of pavements that have a cycle path on one side. Or along the canal path

Mc Love wrote:
    Pedestrians also need to be aware of pavements that have a cycle path on one side. Or along the canal path

Limerick compo culture at it's best it will be your fault if you hit them on the cycle path

Anyone read the county edition of the leader they have a spread on a nursing home did they name it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's is going to be a bad accident at the railway bridge by the Parkway because of this. Cars are just zooming along that stretch of road now that it's less busy and people are stepping out without looking because the paths are tiny.

Everyone needs to slow down - easier to stop and avoid unforseen issues

Re insurance rebates - maybe busier than when the Gardai were doing regular checks, but its still significantly quieter. I've to Drive to Dublin approx once a week and the M7 is a shadow of its former self. Less driving less accidents so there's a case for a rebate.

Gardai are still doing regular checks. On my daily commute to Shannon there are check points between the toll booth and the tunnel southbound, on the N18 just before the Sixmilebridge junction Northbound and on the slip road off the N18 by the Radisson. They've been there every single day since Holy Thursday between at least 8am and 5pm.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Everyone needs to slow down - easier to stop and avoid unforseen issues

True, but even at 30kph if someone steps off the path without looking as you're about to pass them, which I'm now seen happen multiple times, it will be very difficult to avoid hitting them. They only reason someone hasn't yet been knocked down is that traffic is so light.

And it's not just the risk of being hit by motorists. If they step out in front of bike, both them and the cyclist will be injured.

Pedestrians (of which I'm one a lot of the time lately) need to cop on and remember to look before they step off the path. It's basic rules of the road stuff that we're thought at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Would the reason the roads are still busy ish than a Saturday is because some people are still going to work no? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Would the reason the roads are still busy ish than a Saturday is because some people are still going to work no? :confused:

Yes, I noticed they are getting busier recently but it's more of an observation that anything as I don't know where they're going.

I had to drive to Nenagh Hospital and back to Limerick on Tuesday so that's the furthest I've been recently and only saw one Garda car moving on the motorway. It was a return journey before 9am mind you.

This morning was the first rush hour type drive I've made( in quite a while) and just an observation that they're busier so around that time you'd assume those people are heading to work in the majority.

Maybe people are just getting sick of being housebound. It could only last so long I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement