Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

Gardai are still doing regular checks.

Possibly in some areas. I had a legit reason to be in Limerick city early in the lock down and there was way more check points. They may still be regular in other areas. On the way into Dublin they are less visible recently compared to the first week of lock down. Just my observations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Possibly in some areas. I had a legit reason to be in Limerick city early in the lock down and there was way more check points. They may still be regular in other areas. On the way into Dublin they are less visible recently compared to the first week of lock down. Just my observations.

I think there was a boost in numbers for the long weekend, Operation Fanacht or something like that, and then back to more regular numbers once the public had got the message.

I think there was a boost in numbers for the long weekend, Operation Fanacht or something like that, and then back to more regular numbers once the public had got the message.

That's what we're speculating that's no longer the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No increase in traffic anywhere in the country. https://www.thejournal.ie/no-traffic-increases-covid-19-5081943-Apr2020/

No increase in traffic anywhere in the country. https://www.thejournal.ie/no-traffic-increases-covid-19-5081943-Apr2020/

You said that with conviction despite it hardly being conclusive. Subjectively I've seen an increase. The stats that that report is probably based on I'll not treat it as gospel.

• Advertisement

You said that with conviction despite it hardly being conclusive. Subjectively I've seen an increase. The stats that that report is probably based on I'll not treat it as gospel.

They're based on TII traffic counters implanted in the roads. You know, the actual real figures of how many cars actually used the roads. I'll choose not treat your subjective interpretation of what you saw as gospel.

They're based on TII traffic counters implanted in the roads. You know, the actual real figures of how many cars actually used the roads. I'll choose not treat your subjective interpretation of what you saw as gospel.

I've driven legitimately on a good few roads the last number of weeks and I've not driven over those lines.

This is NOT a go at the gardai. It's pointing out that some of the general public are not as cautious as previously.

I'm not asking you to take my subjective view as gospel, so there is that :P

I've driven legitimately on a good few roads the last number of weeks and I've not driven over those lines.

TII traffic counters are built into the roads below the surface. You won't see them or notice that you've traveled over them. Those wires across the roads are temporary counters used by county councils.

TII traffic counters are built into the roads below the surface. You won't see them or notice that you've traveled over them. Those wires across the roads are temporary counters used by county councils.

Fair enough... It's conflicting to what I've witnessed. Might not cover the same roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Fair enough... It's conflicting to what I've witnessed. Might not cover the same roads.

I agree Corbally area is busier with traffic also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

On my home commute earlier I saw a large billboard above The Munster Fair Tavern from Discover Ireland "Discover More", somebody should slap a "Within 2kms" sticker on it as well :D

kilburn wrote: »
    I agree Corbally area is busier with traffic also

Same area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Traffic in and around the Caherdavin area has largely returned to normal levels. I live beside a through-road and the past two days there's a noticeable increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Some factories in Shannon have reopened, therefore, an increase in traffic.

cnoc wrote:
    Some factories in Shannon have reopened, therefore, an increase in traffic.

Did I miss something are they not supposed to stay closed until 5th may unless they are essential

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone drive a vehicle, wearing a mask?

YFlyer wrote:

Would imagine that's fairly pointless....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

YFlyer wrote: »

The same people probably wear a condom while having a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thought so myself as well. Guy driving up O'Connell street earlier wearing one. In the car on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 openureyes

Not relevant post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Here we go again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

YFlyer wrote: »

I've seen delivery people, taxi drivers and health care workers wear masks while driving company vehicles or their own private vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Not much social distancing with the crowd that made their way over to St Thomas's Island. You know the usual crew with their tinted window VW Passats.

Slabs of Bulmers and camping gear were brought over, maybe it would be a good idea to leave them over there

phog wrote:
    I've seen delivery people, taxi drivers and health care workers wear masks while driving company vehicles or their own private vehicles.

If the are working with the public grand but a randomer driving around with a mask on was my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Probably to reduce touching, or coming to touching your face once you've left the house I'd imagine. Pointless in the car, but if it's just as easy put it on when you're leaving the house and take it off when you're back I suppose why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

If the are working with the public grand but a randomer driving around with a mask on was my point

A person driving to work might look like a randomer to you but could in actual fact be working in a nursing home or a hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

phog wrote: »
    A person driving to work might look like a randomer to you but could in actual fact be working in a nursing home or a hospital.

They’re not at work in their car on their own with the windows closed and mask on are they?

Neighbour across gets his meals on wheels delivered every day and as my current home office/makeshift table in spare room faces his house I can see a different car every day delivering them. They all arrive with masks and gloves on and as they're in their private cars then maybe when you see them driving then who knows what they're carrying with them and who they're visiting.

And fair play to an Engineering company in Shannon who have arrived in their branded car some times so at least they/their staff are helping the community. Won't name them in case the staff member is doing it of his own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Berty wrote: »
    And fair play to an Engineering company in Shannon who have arrived in their branded car some times so at least they/their staff are helping the community. Won't name them in case the staff member is doing it of his own choice.
    From St Munchins Community Centre fb page:
    "We would like to give a huge thank you to Smithstown Light Engineering for kindly donating these 3 0 carbon emissions cars to help delivering meals to the most vulnerable elderly across the city and county well done boys we really do appreciate yer help"

• Advertisement

The_Dave wrote: »
    From St Munchins Community Centre fb page:
    "We would like to give a huge thank you to Smithstown Light Engineering for kindly donating these 3 0 carbon emissions cars to help delivering meals to the most vulnerable elderly across the city and county well done boys we really do appreciate yer help"

Cool, didn't know who the meals were coming from. That's very good of them to take time to support St Munchins Community Centre. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement