Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

They’re not at work in their car on their own with the windows closed and mask on are they?

I never said they were but perhaps they feel it's easier put on the mask on correctly at home rather than arsing in the car when they get to where they're going.

I really don't see what this issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    Neighbour across gets his meals on wheels delivered every day and as my current home office/makeshift table in spare room faces his house I can see a different car every day delivering them. They all arrive with masks and gloves on and as they're in their private cars then maybe when you see them driving then who knows what they're carrying with them and who they're visiting.

A fairly reasonable explanation on why a person in a car, on there own might be wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Have you seen the Lean on Me initiative setup by those involved in Liveable Limerick? Its asking people to support their local businesses that are currently closed, by buying a voucher that you can redeem once opened. The list of businesses are growing all the time, currently there are barbers, shoe shops, clothes shops, salons, pubs, restaurants, cafes, hotels, etc on the website. Its a great initiative that may just help these businesses survive

https://www.leanonme.eu/browse/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    Have you seen the Lean on Me initiative setup by those involved in Liveable Limerick? Its asking people to support their local businesses that are currently closed, by buying a voucher that you can redeem once opened. The list of businesses are growing all the time, currently there are barbers, shoe shops, clothes shops, salons, pubs, restaurants, cafes, hotels, etc on the website. Its a great initiative that may just help these businesses survive

Posted on the Local Business Online page
    Mc Love wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »

Posted on the Local Business Online page
    Mc Love wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

kilburn wrote: »
    Did I miss something are they not supposed to stay closed until 5th may unless they are essential

Sorry, I was off line until this evening. I know of one large company in the Industrial Estate that reopened last Monday, albeit, with fewer employees. Perhaps, they could be operating a week on - week off basis with the rest of the employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Did I miss something are they not supposed to stay closed until 5th may unless they are essential

They probably are essential but decided to close for a few weeks. We can only assume here to make the factory safe for the employees by getting PPE or setting up the factory a little differently. Who knows. We don't know what factory it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone visit Supermacs on the Tipperary road today? Could you go in and sit down or was it takeaway only?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone visit Supermacs on the Tipperary road today? Could you go in and sit down or was it takeaway only?

It's drive through, delivery or collection only. They have a card reader mounted outside the drive through window so you can swipe your card and then they push the food out to you on a tray.
    https://www.supermacs.ie/supermacs-opening-stores/

The queue was fcuking ridiculous when I drove past around half 7 this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jesus, why would you want to?

It's drive through, delivery or collection only. They have a card reader mounted outside the drive through window so you can swipe your card and then they push the food out to you on a tray.
    https://www.supermacs.ie/supermacs-opening-stores/

Thanks. The new housemate works there. Was hoping she be back earlier for a wee chat. They might be pushing beyond the 10:30 close.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Jesus, why would you want to?

Believe or not quite a lot of people like Supermacs. Andi after they bring closed for a month under lockdown plenty of beople are very happy to treat themselves to a dirty big takeaway.

There's no need to be sneering about it just because you don't like it. Especially in these times.

Believe or not quite a lot of people like Supermacs. Andi after they bring closed for a month under lockdown plenty of beople are very happy to treat themselves to a dirty big takeaway.

There's no need to be sneering about it just because you don't like it. Especially in these times.
    None of them had any right to form a queue up the ballysimon road

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you need to step back from the keyboard for a moment and take a deep breath. I couldn't give a monkey's toss if people want to eat takeaways or not but forming long queues back the road to get one seems a bit ridiculous to me. If forming long queues for chips and burgers is seen as a step up or relief from staying at home then society has a bigger problem when all this over. God help us when more and more retail outlets start opening again.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think you need to step back from the keyboard for a moment and take a deep breath. I couldn't give a monkey's toss if people want to eat takeaways or not but forming long queues back the road to get one seems a bit ridiculous to me. If forming long queues for chips and burgers is seen as a step up or relief from staying at home then society has a bigger problem when all this over. God help us when more and more retail outlets start opening again.

People are in their cars, so socially distanced. And take away food is listed as an essential service where you're allowed to travel outside 2km to get it. So what if they're queuing. People are queuing everywhere these days.

And yes getting a takeaway is a relief and a feeling or normality returning for a lot of people 6 weeks into lockdown, whether you like it or not

None of them had any right to form a queue up the ballysimon road

They do actually. They"re allowed to go for a takeaway and the only way of getting it is via the drive through.
    Its not as if the Ballysimon road is choc a block with traffic these days.

And on a normal weekend the Ballysimon Road and Childers Road are backed up with people queuing to get into Childers Road retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Queuing that long for a drive through is just crazy carry on.

Surprising the traffic Corp didn't move people along as you can't have one of the main arteries in and out of the city blocked for some people's irrational behaviour and "Need" for a takeaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Surprising the traffic Corp didn't move people along as you can't have one of the main arteries in and out of the city blocked for some people's irrational behaviour and "Need" for a takeaway
    Main arteries with about 10% of normal traffic on it. Who gives a fiddlers...

Main arteries with about 10% of normal traffic on it. Who gives a fiddlers...

The people stuck behind them I am sure

• Advertisement

My father, sister and brother lives up at Carew Park. Brother is one of these Sovereign citizen freaks.

Anyway he is out and about talking to random strangers. Not adhering the social distancing. She said there are alot of folks in the area taken the piss.

What is a sovereign citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

A loose movement of people who've come up with their own bizarre interpretation of the law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen_movement

Also, freeman on the land: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land

As Louche Lad said.

Think of that guy you know that is annoying with their New World Order, Rothschild, Soros, 5G etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They did when they announced it was closing. I was driving passed it around 5pm that evening and it was bananas. Qeueing to get in both sides of the road, passing by it 15mins later motorbikes RPU was there not letting anybody join unless in the filter lane outbound.

Berty wrote: »
    They did when they announced it was closing. I was driving passed it around 5pm that evening and it was bananas. Qeueing to get in both sides of the road, passing by it 15mins later motorbikes RPU was there not letting anybody join unless in the filter lane outbound.

My housemate works there. She was saying that the queues were beginning at around 11 am. Many are spending up to 60 to 70 Euro.

YFlyer wrote: »
    My housemate works there. She was saying that the queues were beginning at around 11 am. Many are spending up to 60 to 70 Euro.

I went there at around half 3 on Friday (and most definitely didn't spend anywhere near €50 or €60) and the 'queue' was all of 4 cars. When exactly was the crazing queuing that backed up the road? And did it happen on Saturday or Sunday or was it simply a once off because it was the first time in a month that they were open? Because I didn't see any queues when I was out walking over the weekend.

I went there at around half 3 on Friday (and most definitely didn't spend anywhere near €50 or €60) and the 'queue' was all of 4 cars. When exactly was the crazing queuing that backed up the road? And did it happen on Saturday or Sunday or was it simply a once off because it was the first time in a month that they were open? Because I didn't see any queues when I was out walking over the weekend.

I didn't ask her which mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I did the weekly shopping on Friday evening. Drove past Supermacs on the Ballysimon Road and the cars were queuing back up towards the roundabout, and 3 cars inbound queuing to join the queue. The queue was going in the 'out' exit at the top, coming back down the front and around the back. That was about 6.30pm. Drove by again about 7.15pm and the queue was still there all the way out onto the road. Passed finally at 7.45pm and a staff member from Supermacs was stopping people queuing on the road, they could only join in the slip lane which was full. Which was right imo, so I reckon the Gardai had a word or management copped on to it.

On my way in I was thinking about getting some, but the queue was so bad there wasn't a hope I was joining it. Madness really, but somewhat understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Lots of hand sanitiser gel for sale at Lloyds Pharmacy at Charlotte's Quay: https://www.lloydspharmacy.ie/customer-service/store-details?store=1853

They're in quite large bottles though: 500mL, not those tiny 50mL bottles. €17.95.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement