Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The Bike shop is just chaos outside the last 2 weeks.No social distnce signs or markings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

bigpink wrote:
    The Bike shop is just chaos outside the last 2 weeks.No social distnce signs or markings

How are they essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

kilburn wrote: »
    How are they essential?
    If you don't have a car they are essential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

sioda wrote:
    If you don't have a car they are essential

Use that coca cola bike stand or go car ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Use that coca cola bike stand or go car /QUOTE]

Not a chance until all of this is over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Unless GoCar / Coke Bikes are disinfecting between each use I’d not go near them...

I passed Supermacs at around 2pm on Sunday and there was zero in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Lots of hand sanitiser gel for sale at Lloyds Pharmacy at Charlotte's Quay: https://www.lloydspharmacy.ie/customer-service/store-details?store=1853

They're in quite large bottles though: 500mL, not those tiny 50mL bottles. €17.95.

Boots in the Crescent also had a good selection of hand sanitiser including big bottles for around the same price and smaller ones for €6 I think.

They also had face masks. The first time I'd seen them for sale anywhere but they were €15 each :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

le_girl wrote: »
    Boots in the Crescent also had a good selection of hand sanitiser including big bottles for around the same price and smaller ones for €6 I think.

They also had face masks. The first time I'd seen them for sale anywhere but they were €15 each :confused:

Is there must other than Boots and Tesco's open in the Crescent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

How are they essential?

Bike repair is as essential as car repair, though I suspect they're doing bike sales too.

Use that coca cola bike stand or go car ðŸ˜

Not everyone can or want to drive

I'm a Coca Cola Bike scheme user but I wouldn't dream of using one now during the pandemic.

I agree with the OP on this topic, I passed the shop twice recently and while the shop looked closed the pavement was like a mini rally with so many people hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Was out in UHL yesterday, Thermal Imaging cameras being installed at security checkpoint at main entrance, I'm guessing to give an idea of high temperatures, not heard about such a thing being implemented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

BobMc wrote: »
    Was out in UHL yesterday, Thermal Imaging cameras being installed at security checkpoint at main entrance, I'm guessing to give an idea of high temperatures, not heard about such a thing being implemented

An Airport in the UK installed them as well

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/29/first-uk-airport-finally-gets-fever-detection-camera-screen-passengers-12625212/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

We have them in work. They got installed 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Is there must other than Boots and Tesco's open in the Crescent?

Holland and Barrett, the other health shop and the post office I think.

It was very eerie, having not been there since this all started.

JP donated it

Good few of the bigger companies have them in for weeks on the doors. Seems to work well. If your showing an elevated temperature you can't enter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Good few of the bigger companies have them in for weeks on the doors. Seems to work well. If your showing an elevated temperature you can't enter

They're not really much use though and are really only for show. From the WHO
    How effective are thermal scanners in detecting people infected with the new coronavirus?
    Thermal scanners are effective in detecting people who have developed a fever (i.e. have a higher than normal body temperature) because of infection with the new coronavirus.
    However, they cannot detect people who are infected but are not yet sick with fever. This is because it takes between 2 and 10 days before people who are infected become sick and develop a fever.

There's also the issue with the quite substantial percentage (possibly up to 50%) of people who are totally asymptomatic who it wont catch.

They're not really much use though and are really only for show. From the WHO

There's also the issue with the quite substantial percentage (possibly up to 50%) of people who are totally asymptomatic who it wont catch.

It's only another layer of protection. Better to have it than not. It if stops the spread of a few cases it's worth having

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

They're not really much use though and are really only for show.

Your quote from the WHO doesn't support your claim about them "not being much use".

As someone who is close to the decision process on what measures are taken in large companies, I can say that no-one thinks that any single measure is 100% effective. But layering on several (independent) 50% effective controls adds up to a lot of protection.

If thermal imaging prevents people with fever entering a building (close to their peak point of virus shedding), then we will take that measurable reduction in risk even though it is far from 100% effective, and add that to the dozen(s) of other measures being taken.

Just because asymptomatic spreaders exist does not make it irrelevant to detect symptomatic spreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

They're not really much use though and are really only for show.

Your quote from the WHO doesn't support your claim about them "not being much use".

As someone who is close to the decision process on what measures are taken in large companies, I can say that no-one thinks that any single measure is 100% effective. But layering on several (independent) 50% effective controls adds up to a lot of protection.

If thermal imaging prevents people with fever entering a building (close to their peak point of virus shedding), then we will take that measurable reduction in risk even though it is far from 100% effective, and add that to the dozen(s) of other measures being taken.

Just because asymptomatic spreaders exist does not make it irrelevant to detect symptomatic spreaders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

2016 wrote: »

You should talk to NPHET and the WHO so, because they're the ones advising not using scanners not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Did companys in Limerick act too soon on the lifting of restrictions..I know Woodies is nationwise but they had staff in working since midweek preparing to open on Tuesday.
    I know of a college where staff are going back working half days from Tuesday regardless of restrictions got to do with schools.Maybe they are classed as essential workers ie.public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Did companys in Limerick act too soon on the lifting of restrictions..I know Woodies is nationwise but they had staff in working since midweek preparing to open on Tuesday.
    I know of a college where staff are going back working half days from Tuesday regardless of restrictions got to do with schools.Maybe they are classed as essential workers ie.public sector?

https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

Page 8 will describe the teachers returning, Page 11 for hardware stores.

I think a lot companies will jump the gun to get money moving again. They are under immense pressure also. It's a sad time for everyone really :(

Miike wrote: »
    https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

Page 8 will describe the teachers returning, Page 11 for hardware stores.

I think a lot companies will jump the gun to get money moving again. They are under immense pressure also. It's a sad time for everyone really :(

I had a look at page 8 so when will a college re open so.

I had a look at page 8 so when will a college re open so.

Phase 1: 18th May
    Phase 2: 8th June
    Phase 3: 29th June
    Phase 4: 20th July
    Phase 5: 10th August
    URL="https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf"]Source[/URL

Campuses are to be free to open in phase 5.

All of these dates are subject to change as things develop. If cases go up, these dates will be pushed out.

Edit: that seemed like I was being sarcastic with you sorry, I wasn't. I'm just posting the phasing dates for everyone :)

Phase 1: 18th May
    Phase 2: 8th June
    Phase 3: 29th June
    Phase 4: 20th July
    Phase 5: 10th August

Campuses are to be free to open in phase 5.

All of these dates are subject to change as things develop. If cases go up, these dates will be pushed out.

Edit: that seemed like I was being sarcastic with you sorry, I wasn't. I'm just posting the phasing dates for everyone :)

Thanks,
    Yeah understand subject to change..hopefully all will go well.
    So a campus in phase 5 lets say UL is it then we can use the grounds that is not being a student ect just walking over d living bridge ect..
    Because the college i am aware of have teachers going in and out and staff working inside all week? Sounds very wrong to me.

Thanks,
    Yeah understand subject to change..hopefully all will go well.
    So a campus in phase 5 lets say UL is it then we can use the grounds that is not being a student ect just walking over d living bridge ect..
    Because the college i am aware of have teachers going in and out and staff working inside all week? Sounds very wrong to me.

Specific to UL they have had essential staff only on campus. You need to be named and approved for access to the campus as per UL's Critical Operations Team and Executive Committee.

https://www.ul.ie/covid-home/faqs-ul-community-covid-19

As for being open to the public in Phase 5, I have no idea. I think that would be stupid personally.

Specific to UL they have had essential staff only on campus. You need to be named and approved for access to the campus as per UL's Critical Operations Team and Executive Committee.

https://www.ul.ie/covid-home/faqs-ul-community-covid-19

As for being open to the public in Phase 5, I have no idea. I think that would be stupid personally.

I know from personal expierence today with the living bridge i got stopped by security, he said no way to go over and if he did i mite pass his boss....hence him being sacked..no issue with me..who are essential staff then is it security and members of the executive committee? Just asking i dont know. Thanks. I was in the 2km limit btw.

I know from personal expierence today with the living bridge i got stopped by security, he said no way to go over and if he did i mite pass his boss....hence him being sacked..no issue with me..who are essential staff then is it security and members of the executive committee? Just asking i dont know. Thanks. I was in the 2km limit btw.

Staff who maintain essential services only according to COTEC. I'm not privvy to anything outside of that I'm afraid :)

Staff who maintain essential services only according to COTEC. I'm not privvy to anything outside of that I'm afraid :)

I had a quick google of COTEC.....way over my head..but can MD's just decide this teacher that are essential are the moment and give them letters as they please regardless of the guidelines set out by government..you seem to be well educated or learning fast to these new settings in the world we live in right now.

• Advertisement

I had a quick google of COTEC.....way over my head..but can MD's just decide this teacher that are essential are the moment and give them letters as they please regardless of the guidelines set out by government..you seem to be well educated or learning fast to these new settings in the world we live in right now.

The staff on campus will need to be approved as essential workers in maintaining essential services on campus. There are (or were anyway) still students living in on-campus accommodation when those guidelines by UL were formulated, inline with government policy. There is a skeleton staff physically on UL campus.

COTEC is just a fancy name for the UL executive committee :pac:

However, once at onset of Phase 1 teachers / lecturers may return to campus offices if they fall within the scope of the document linked above. It will not be a free-for-all rush back to the campus thought as they need to meet the guidelines on social distancing etc. Still a lot of working from home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement