Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

MarkR wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/540401/five-clusters-of-covid-detected-in-mid-west-workplaces.html

One cluster originated in a pub. During lockdown. May their pints taste of line cleaner, and all their taytos be a bit soft.

It originated in a pub _before_ the lockdown perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Arseholes hanging out next to each other at Groody.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

damowill wrote: »
    not what he asked

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone know if the hub bike shop are open?

10-1:30 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oscare1

adaminho wrote: »
    Cheers, It's just someone mentioned getting stopped on the living bridge. My plan is to come in by Gillogue and cross by the road bridge and back in to town.

University of Limerick Campus is closed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Well I saw a pub clearly open one night during the lockdown. If anyone knows the name of the pub in question above, can they PM me please?

What pub?

The Bike shop in town has huge numbers outside it all through lockdown no queuing system in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

oscare1 wrote: »
    University of Limerick Campus is closed.
    Campus is closed but not the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bigpink wrote: »
    The Bike shop in town has huge numbers outside it all through lockdown no queuing system in place

Managed to go out to the hub, very decent lots of space to social distance if needed

Mc Love wrote: »
    Managed to go out to the hub, very decent lots of space to social distance if needed

Good to hear..Bike Shop very poor no attempt at all but not surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

bigpink wrote: »
    Good to hear..Bike Shop very poor no attempt at all but not surprised

The Bike Shop have a sign on the door limiting the number of people allowed inside at any one time.
    People waiting outside on the street need to take responsibility for their own behavior and maintain social distance in the same way they can on the way too/from the shop.

The Bike Shop have a sign on the door limiting the number of people allowed inside at any one time.
    People waiting outside on the street need to take responsibility for their own behavior and maintain social distance in the same way they can on the way too/from the shop.

Are there designated distances outside for people to wait? If the gardai pass and see a bunch of people close together it will be treated as the store owners problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Can you provide any official source to back this up ?
    I'd be surprised if you can....

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I heard from the mother in law about a hair dressers that was open in Limerick. Taking in bookings from the eldery and infirm, and wasn't it great to be helping the elderly. Wife's side of the family, so I stayed out of it. Elderly relative on her side went (not mother in law) was there for hours, three customers, one of them a doctor. But they all had masks, so yay.

These loyal customers won't be so loyal when they're on a ventilator going through contact tracing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I heard from the mother in law about a hair dressers that was open in Limerick. Taking in bookings from the eldery and infirm, and wasn't it great to be helping the elderly. Wife's side of the family, so I stayed out of it. Elderly relative on her side went (not mother in law) was there for hours, three customers, one of them a doctor. But they all had masks, so yay.

These loyal customers won't be so loyal when they're on a ventilator going through contact tracing.

Or they might all be fine. Which is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

I once got the flu from a visit to the hairdresser. As did two other customers and three staff members, one being the receptionist who wasnt even in close contact with customers. The humid air circulating the entire salon is a prime conduit for a bug/virus. All it takes is for one carrier to be in the salon to risk infecting not only the people there at the time but anyone who comes in after them unless all styling stops and the salon can be completely aired out and fully disinfected.

A business flaunting the restrictions clearly has the best needs of their customers at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bryan1986

I once got the flu from a visit to the hairdresser. As did two other customers and three staff members, one being the receptionist who wasnt even in close contact with customers. The humid air circulating the entire salon is a prime conduit for a bug/virus. All it takes is for one carrier to be in the salon to risk infecting not only the people there at the time but anyone who comes in after them unless all styling stops and the salon can be completely aired out and fully disinfected.

A business flaunting the restrictions clearly has the best needs of their customers at heart.

Nonsense. Board up your house and stay under the bed for the rest of summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Bryan1986 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Board up your house and stay under the bed for the rest of summer.

Worked for the Chinese

With that attitude you might as well lock yourself in a room a throw away the key. Italy and Spain have reopened hairdressers and barbers and they've had way worse outbreaks than us and are still seeing a few hundred of deaths a day.

There won't be a vaccine any time soon, so we need to get used to living with Covid 19. Masks and social distancing will be the new norm, but businesses have to reopen and life has to go back to as normal as possible.

With that attitude you might as well lock yourself in a room a throw away the key. Italy and Spain have reopened hairdressers and barbers and they've had way worse outbreaks than us and are still seeing a few hundred of deaths a day.

There won't be a vaccine any time soon, so we need to get used to living with Covid 19. Masks and social distancing will be the new norm, but businesses have to reopen and life has to go back to as normal as possible.

Yes reopen when they are allowed to. And follow the proper return to work protocol.

Outdoor workers are only back to work next week. Hairdressers are scheduled in further phases. Jumping the gun too soon just gives us a second wave and encourages people to flaunt the restrictions in place.

• Advertisement

Yes reopen when they are allowed to. And follow the proper return to work protocol.

Outdoor workers are only back to work next week. Hairdressers are scheduled in further phases. Jumping the gun too soon just gives us a second wave and encourages people to flaunt the restrictions in place.

We never really has a first phase. We successfully locked it down and never even came close to filling our hospital capacity (the actual reason for the lockdown). There are quite a few experts out there now saying that we probably didn't need the total lockdown and that social distancing and the school closures we initially introduced would more than like have produced the same results.

Either way we are reopening extremely slowly compared to countries that actually had devastating peaks and with continued social distancing and wearing of masks could reopen much sooner. https://www.newstalk.com/news/exiting-lockdown-priority-expert-1010107

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd be interested to see the studies you can reference. Have you contacted the WHO? Or are you just basing this on your feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

I'd be interested to see the studies you can reference. Have you contacted the WHO? Or are you just basing this on your feelings?
    I don't have the figures to hand, but those people would first have to contract it and then they would have to suffer the worst type of symptoms to require ventilators, the percentages of all of these occuring are not probable so I think the poster was correct. Just not a risk worth taking

I could accuse you of the exact same thing seeing that you have very few facts and only a third hand description of what happened.

The main reason it unlikey that anyone will get sick is that very very few people actually have the disease, so the the odds that someone who was in the hairdressers having it to actually spread it are miniscule.

Then there's the fact that you said that they were wearing masks.
    WHO says that wearing a mask reduces the possibility of an infected person spreading the disease.

Do you even know if they were they social distancing, seeing as you seem to know exactly what happened in there? While our authorities advise 2m the WHO recommendation is only 1m.

You're the same man who claimed a pub broke lockdown because a throwaway line in a newspaper article said that there was cluster in one, even though there was zero evidence of this actually happening. Maybe you should take a step back, take a few deep breaths and realise that life goes on and as long as we take precautions 99% of us will be fine.

We never really has a first phase. We successfully locked it down and never even came close to filling our hospital capacity (the actual reason for the lockdown). There are quite a few experts out there now saying that we probably didn't need the total lockdown and that social distancing and the school closures we initially introduced would more than like have produced the same results.

Either way we are reopening extremely slowly compared to countries that actually had devastating peaks and with continued social distancing and wearing of masks could reopen much sooner. https://www.newstalk.com/news/exiting-lockdown-priority-expert-1010107

The link also confirms the expert agrees Irelands testing capabilities are sub par and nowhere near enough to allow a short term exit from lockdown with success. He also agrees the initial lockdown was warranted to flatten the curve.

We dont have nearly enough testing kits to allow everyone who needs to be tested to receive one let alone more than one (initally to diagnose and subsequent to confirm negative results) and our history of testing as a country is testament that we need to remain cautious. Not just the outsourcing to Germany at the beginning but also the sheer amount of people who had tests cancelled because the criteria had changed, even though in a lot of these cases it was their GPs who had requested the tests in the first place.

Reality is a full exit from lockdown requires regular widespread testing and contact tracing to ensure any cases are identified and caught early to prevent spread of the cluster until a successful vaccine is available or the virus "dies out". At the moment its doubtful we have enough kits to sustain this and that may be a factor in the slow exit from lockdown - to allow enough kits and laboratory resources for testing to be stockpiled or the development of consumer self test kits.

I agree we need to get businesses open again (I have friends who may never reopen again due to losses and many more on the "covid benefit" trying to pay rent or mortgages), but openings need to be slow, controlled and everyone needs to assume responsibility to protect those more vulnerable than they may be.

Also reading your latest post, it's quite worrying that you are ok with putting some of the population in danger with the justification it's ok we can all just wear a mask that has been shown to only weaken the chance of virus spreading not stop it. The vulnerable members of our society make up more than 1%. They are our grandparents, elderly parents or relatives, brother and sisters with autoimmune diseases, aunts and uncles with cancer. And then those who are needed to assist them who we also need to be shielded: carers and nurses, supermarket staff who deliver their shopping, postmen who deliver prescriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

We never really has a first phase. We successfully locked it down and never even came close to filling our hospital capacity.

Really poor statement about not really having a first phase,I am sure the families and friends of those who died of Covid19 and those who have unfortunately taken their own lives due to the stress they were under would disagree with you.

kilburn wrote: »
    Really poor statement about not really having a first phase,I am sure the families and friends of those who died of Covid19 and those who have unfortunately taken their own lives due to the stress they were under would disagree with you.

Jesus will you get off your high horse. There was a morgue for 500 bodys built in the army barracks. Limerick has had a total of 580 cases.

There's been an emergency hospital built in UL for the overflow. Our hospitals (or ICUs) never came close to being full and now have the lowest bed occupancy levels in decades. The rented private hospitals are empty.

Yes there's been cases and deaths, but we've not had anywhere near the predicted levels. I think it's quite correct to say we missed the first phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Jesus will you get off your high horse. There was a morgue for 500 bodys built in the army barracks. Limerick has had a total of 580 cases.

There's been an emergency hospital built in UL for the overflow. Our hospitals (or ICUs) never came close to being full and now have the lowest bed occupancy levels in decades. The rented private hospitals are empty.

Yes there's been cases and deaths, but we've not had anywhere near the predicted levels. I think it's quite correct to say we missed the first phase.

Or maybe we used containment measures as opposed to missing anything. We didn't miss a thing. We have some of the higgest cases per capita in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Firstly not on a high horse just stating the facts, I think you might be the one who is on a high horse, as you seem to know better than everyone what should or shouldn't have been done.

Still shocked that in this thread you already said you wouldn't cross the road to social distance and then you come out with this missing the first phase stuff.

We as decent citizens have to show respect and consideration for the more vulnerable in society and protect them.

Sweden has no lockdown have you seen their ICU numbers, Ireland would have been Italy 2.0 if we didn't lock down and that's a fact that anyone can see.

And again you say we didn't have a first phase talk to same relatives of the dead, NPHET and the government.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Firstly not on a high horse just stating the facts, I think you might be the one who is on a high horse, as you seem to know better than everyone what should or shouldn't have been done.

Still shocked that in this thread you already said you wouldn't cross the road to social distance and then you come out with this missing the first phase stuff.

We as decent citizens have to show respect and consideration for the more vulnerable in society and protect them.

Sweden has no lockdown have you seen their ICU numbers, Ireland would have been Italy 2.0 if we didn't lock down and that's a fact that anyone can see.

And again you say we didn't have a first phase talk to same relatives of the dead, NPHET and the government.

Actually I fully respect the rules about social distancing. That doesn't however mean that I will cross the road when I don't need to. The guidance is within 2m for 15mins (and the WHO say 1m). I've also obeyed the stay at home and 2km/5km rules and haven't seen most of my family in months.

I've also never anywhere said that we shouldn't have locked down. And I've never claimed to 'know better' than anyone. The fact that we didn't need the morgue or the overflow hospital says that we're successfully stopped the spread of the disease.

I and actual experts though disagree about the length of time it will take to exit lockdown and the order of reopening compared to countries that were effected far worse than we were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement