Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not sure about Thursday morning, but was at Homesavers Wednesday morning and there was no queue for B&Q around 9.15am.

Queuing up outside B&Q at East City Retail Park. Payment only by card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Keep your hardware, your potted plants and your big macs - chicken hut gravy is actually justifiable to queue for.

In fact I don't think I've ever managed to obtain any without a lengthy queuing process pandemic or no pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No lunch time hut?

Mc Love wrote: »
    No lunch time hut?

A few of us wanted a breakfast hut very early this morning after a 12 hour shift :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

So the whole social distancing is going well in Limerick today........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lidl (Ennis road) with no in/out system, the place was mobbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

osarusan wrote: »
    Lidl (Ennis road) with no in/out system, the place was mobbed.

Odd! Is this their policy now? They’ve been operating the in/out for the past 7 weeks or so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pacifico wrote: »
    Odd! Is this their policy now? They’ve been operating the in/out for the past 7 weeks or so

Was there Wednesday and it was similar, no in/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pacifico wrote: »

Yeah, nobody queing outside, but loads inside. Must have changed this week as, like you say, they've been operating that system for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

I was in there Thursday evening and security were doing one in one out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Went shopping Friday. I live with my parents, 2 cocooners, so have to be extra careful as my dad has emphysema and the mother has COPD:

Aldi Dublin Rd 6pm: Limiting to 75 in store at the time, there were 65 in there at my time (security guard told me, he must have seen my look of doubt). Went in, had a quick look and went back out, too crowded for my liking.

Dunnes Childers Road 6.10pm: Queue of about 15 but moved really quickly, waiting no more than 2 minutes. Inside was too busy for my liking, in comparison to previous weeks. I managed to get a few bits before some bint though that she could go right beside me to get something. Had a few words, left immediately afterwards.

Tesco Crescent 6.45pm: Gang of about 9 lads (can we say they were all black or is that racist?) in their late teens/early 20s, hanging around laughing at the bottom of the steps. New layout since the last time I was there, in 1 door out the other, hallway split into 2 for 1 way traffic and still muppets walking on the wrong side. Distancing is a bit better but I wouldn't say people are lax, more that they think the old ways are back. It's like playing a game trying to get around without some tool coming within 2 feet to get something, all the while walking on a sticker clearly showing the distance of 2 feet!

Chippy Chicken 7.20pm: 1 in, 1 out, got my food, had a taste orgasm.

So my experience of Friday, people are already forgetting that social distancing is still to be followed and are acting like it's all over. People are using shopping everywhere now as a social exercise with their friends and children, completely unnecessary in the vast majority of cases and against recommendations. Even mentioning it to people and they get their backs up and try to blame you. Have had 1 lad threaten to wipe the floor with me (staff overheard everything and rightly told him to shut up or feck off), and another say with the typical sarcasm "I said I'm sorry!" lines. Not looking forward to the next few weeks, and I'll genuinely be surprised if there isn't an increase in cases within the next few weeks.

If only I could guarantee staff wouldn't give me products that would go off in a couple of days, I'd genuinely use the delivery service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m sick of supermarkets treating me like I’m a leper. SuperValu castletroy by far the worst offender. Stand here, stand there, staff jumping out of your way.

Was carrying several awkward items when I went to the checkout. There was one lad at the other end of the checkout packing his bags. I put some things down at my end of the belt, not even on the belt, on the metal part on the end and the manchild at the tills had a meltdown. I had to take my things back off and stand there like a pleb for about 5 minutes after the other customer had left while this manchild sprayed and wiped everything down. I was told to stay on my “spot” on the floor. I was eventually allowed to put my things on the belt while he scanned the items. I moved to the pos where you tap your card. I was told to go back to my “spot” and wait. Now this fella is literally in a Perspex box with a hole in it for the pos to pay... so I played his little game, waited, paid....while he wheeled his chair about 8 feet back from the Perspex box.

I absolutely will not be back. The hysteria around this thing is laughable. I’ll remember each and every place that treated customers and their staff like this.

Shoutout to Chawkes castletroy too who make their staff wear fücking face visors.

You’re not going to space.

I’m sick of supermarkets treating me like I’m a leper. SuperValu castletroy by far the worst offender. Stand here, stand there, staff jumping out of your way.

Was carrying several awkward items when I went to the checkout. There was one lad at the other end of the checkout packing his bags. I put some things down at my end of the belt, not even on the belt, on the metal part on the end and the manchild at the tills had a meltdown. I had to take my things back off and stand there like a pleb for about 5 minutes after the other customer had left while this manchild sprayed and wiped everything down. I was told to stay on my “spot” on the floor. I was eventually allowed to put my things on the belt while he scanned the items. I moved to the pos where you tap your card. I was told to go back to my “spot” and wait. Now this fella is literally in a Perspex box with a hole in it for the pos to pay... so I played his little game, waited, paid....while he wheeled his chair about 8 feet back from the Perspex box.

I absolutely will not be back. The hysteria around this thing is laughable. I’ll remember each and every place that treated customers and their staff like this.

Shoutout to Chawkes castletroy too who make their staff wear fücking face visors.

Have a snickers before you go shopping next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Tell that to the 350 thousand people who have died from it and over 5 million infected. Yes it's just hysteria. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I went to Aldi (Dublin RD) Friday for the first time since March. There was a 1 in 1 out system going on, but it was manic inside there. Lots of people criss crossing isles, leaning over you to reach something, shout spitting couples, no one keeping their distance and it seemed too packed. Got my aldi favourites extremely quickly in triple and left, and won't be back for a long time.

Supervalue Castletroy still observing good practices.

Chawkes, have you heard one of the staffs laugh in there, male....like you can hear it all over the shop....I notice it everytime I go in......god I'm grumpy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

and all of the above posts are why I get my shopping online.
    I'm not ready to face large shops yet. if I need anything between shops, I call to small places where I know there are unlikely to be too many people
    I can't take risks just yet, it's not worth the risk to my families health

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lot of fecking hypercondriacs in here the last few hours. Wear a fecking mask if it bothers you people getting too close.

Also you have to be within a meter of someone and for 15 minutes or more to catch the infection.

Some people need a reality check

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

Also you have to be within a meter of someone and for 15 minutes or more to catch the infection.

That’s not how it works. You can catch it in a split second also. The right cough. In the right direction. Even at 2-3 meters apart.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Tell that to the 350 thousand people who have died from it and over 5 million infected. Yes it's just hysteria. :rolleyes:

No 350,000 people have not died FROM coronavirus, they have died with it. Do some research for yourself on how the numbers are reported. Also we're in Limerick, what have we had in the last week, two cases is it? It's conditioning and brainwashing.

893bet wrote: »
    That’s not how it works. You can catch it in a split second also. The right cough. In the right direction. Even at 2-3 meters apart.

Even if you're wearing a mask...

But, would be very very unfortunate. Probably similar to the likelihood of having a serious accident in the home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭geotrig

Do you know what , they are just people doing their job and most likely following new job rules and guidelines... Why didn't you get a trolley like any normal person rather than carrying "several awkward items" you are giving out about a man child throwing a hissy but the only man child throwing a hissy seems to be you.

No 350,000 people have not died FROM coronavirus, they have died with it. Do some research for yourself on how the numbers are reported. Also we're in Limerick, what have we had in the last week, two cases is it? It's conditioning and brainwashing.

Its the % increase in deaths that you can't ignore if you want to be pedantic. Just because there is 2 cases reported doesn't mean there isnt more out there.

What are they conditioning and brainwashing you to do? Staying at home ,queue in a sensible manner , be respectful of people s space? It makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I work in retail , not a supermarket type shop, and we've been open all along,we had guidelines to use and idiots like you thinking they are special and can do what the want are thankfully the minority and most people actually appreciated the fact we were out there working to keep certain things going, I hope I don't know you in real life because you'd have a time explaining yourself to me.
    If we, and our likes didn't follow protocol you wouldn't have been able to buy your ' several bukly items' at a time that suited you.
    Grow up and show some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

It's not how they were meant but some of these posts make me so paranoid about doing something wrong in public and having someone lose the plot with me.

Some of us are anxious and on edge at the best of times. Every place you go these days has a different system. If someone stands in the wrong spot or walks the wrong way there's a good chance they just made a mistake or are confused or overwhelmed, it's likely not anything to take personally. I know there are some messers around but most people are just doing their best. No one is perfect.

I don't know how retail workers are coping at the moment. If they follow instructions they're treating us like lepers. If they don't they're putting us all in danger. They literally can't win.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I un-followed a popular Irish Twitter personality this morning because their over the top hysteria just wasn't worth reading any more. This person is the poster child for one extreme end of the current discourse. Tens of thousands of followers play along.

At the other end, you have characters like our own beloved Hunky Monster (really, any regulars around Boards should know his style by now!) who downplay the risks altogether. Some of them drop the paranoid ramblings of YouTube conspiracy theorists into WhatsApp groups, then sit back and watch everybody panic about hoaxes or the Illuminati controlling world governments.

Unfortunately, the extremes make the most noise and get all the attention, so all the sensible people behaving appropriately are lost in the ruckus.

le_girl wrote: »
    It's not how they were meant but some of these posts make me so paranoid about doing something wrong in public and having someone lose the plot with me.

We all stood in the wrong places or have no idea where to be etc and my comments were not directed at someone getting it wrong , I go to a shop once twice a week at most so probably still doing it all wrong but have no issue following the directions set out by staff,if asked or instructed which is all people are doing in general. There is no" doing something wrong " Unless you set out to be a dick /diva and be difficult.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A few warnings issued for uncivil behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Lot of fecking hypercondriacs in here the last few hours. Wear a fecking mask if it bothers you people getting too close.

Some people need a reality check

Lol funny that you are lecturing others about needing a reality check then you spout the nonsense about the virus having a timer of 15 minutes before you can magically be infected.

Poorside wrote: »
    I work in retail , not a supermarket type shop, and we've been open all along,we had guidelines to use and idiots like you thinking they are special and can do what the want are thankfully the minority and most people actually appreciated the fact we were out there working to keep certain things going, I hope I don't know you in real life because you'd have a time explaining yourself to me.
    If we, and our likes didn't follow protocol you wouldn't have been able to buy your ' several bukly items' at a time that suited you.
    Grow up and show some respect.

"Idiots like me"?

Big picture here. Think outside your little bubble for two minutes. First the govt tells you it's only for a few weeks, then it's only for a few months, then it's until they make a vaccine, all of a sudden it's years. We're being primed to think of this as "the new normal", well let me tell you this, the new normal sucks, it's not living at all... and who's telling you to do this, three of the most unreputable sources ever known to Ireland. The Irish govt, the HSE and RTE. Honestly if you were asked months ago did you trust any of them would you have said yes? These are the outlets telling you what to do. Think long and hard about this, do you think they know what they're doing?

There are plenty of doctors and nurses out there who think what we're doing is bonkers, the tide is turning, some media outlets are already starting to question the restrictions, their voice will get louder, in years to come you will be cursing how the Irish govt handled all of this when there is no vaccine and the gardai are stopping you on a daily basis questioning your every move. If you do not wake up now you can wave goodbye to your civil liberties forever.

By all means keep that blindfold on as you walk closer to the cliffs edge...OR you could do some research for yourself outside the narrative brought to you by RTE/GOVT/HSE. The one they will continue to push because it's a disaster for them if they admit they were wrong... go and look at the projections for this virus in early March. Go and look at the EU directives to vaccinate every man, woman and child in Europe by 2022. I will post the links if you can't find them but it's time to wake up.

It's just priming us for total control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

"Idiots like me"?
    and who's telling you to do this, three of the most unreputable sources ever known to Ireland. The Irish govt, the HSE and RTE.

And how in the name of God did these 3 manage to dictate, not only to us foolish Irish, but to almost the entire world ? Maybe we should be praising them for their empire building skills .

"Idiots like me"?
    By all means keep that blindfold on as you walk closer to the cliffs edge...OR you could do some research for yourself outside the narrative brought to you by RTE/GOVT/HSE.

Thank god again , someone who finally can show us the way, tell me where I can find this trustworthy news source ? My old news soure is pushing a narative but I'm quite sure yours isn't ....not sure why I'm sure but what the hell .
    "Idiots like me"?

It's just priming us for total control.

I, for one, do not welcome our Vacinator overlords !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement