Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Something that should have been in place before Covid 19 was ever a thing (although not in the UL Arena). It shouldn't have needed a worldwide pandemic for the HSE to finally put something like this in place in Limerick.

From the photos I've seen and from my visits to the arena before this setup, I'm struggling to see how these patients will be able to shower or use bathrooms without a convoluted journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

So they had overflow wards setup away from the hospital for recovering patients?

Yes they were set up for recovery patients, initially she had thought they were going to have to be primary care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Limerick aircraft company given permission to seek arrangement with creditors (Irish Examiner)

The High Court has given Irish based aircraft company Nordic Aviation Capital the go ahead to seek to enter into a scheme of arrangement with its creditors.

The NAC group of companies is the largest lessor of aircraft to regional airlines, and the 5th largest aircraft lessor in the world, and employs over a 100 people at its Limerick Headquarters.

Nordic Aviation Capital DAC wants to enter into scheme with its lenders due to the dire effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the aviation industry.

If approved the scheme will secure a six to 12 month standstill on millions of euro in principle and interest payments due by NAC to its lenders of approximately €5 billion of debt.

The scheme will also allow the group, which owns approximately 500 aircraft to continue to operate.

Some 65 of the group's 75 customers are seeking various concessions on its aircraft leasing agreements.

Not good news for Gardens International :eek:

Well thats that then, good night and au revoir to reviving Limerick from the clutches of death

https://twitter.com/limerickcitybiz/status/1270838436757417992?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mike O’Connell of O’Connell’s Menswear was pathetic on Newstalk the other morning. He literally said People wont park 3 blocks away and walk to out stores. They complain about the council doing nothing and then when the council do propose something they still complain. I'm beginning to think that the city retailers are as big a part of the problem as the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Did we ever get the list of the 100 retailers who objected to the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I moved to Limerick city centre a little over three years ago and thought the place was bursting with potential. I've about given up on it at this stage to be honest. It's a pity. There's an almost impressive lack of vision, ambition or quality in everything that is done around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

keane2097 wrote: »
    Did we ever get the list of the 100 retailers who objected to the plans?

If someone has it I'd be glad to see it as well.

Completely bonkers to oppose a regeneration plan for the sake of a few regulars who are too lazy to walk to one of the nearby carparks. I completely understand that disabled customers have parking requirements but the majority of customers can use existing parking facilities and walk the 5-10 minutes like with every other city that has pedestrianised main shopping streets.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I moved to Limerick city centre a little over three years ago and thought the place was bursting with potential. I've about given up on it at this stage to be honest. It's a pity. There's an almost impressive lack of vision, ambition or quality in everything that is done around the town.

Same here, moved from Dublin about 2 years ago.

I went into the city centre on Monday and it was much more pleasant with reduced traffic compared to weekends prior to lockdown. It made us want to take a stroll with a coffee and actually pay attention to the shops on streets we normally ignore because the traffic noise/fumes and restricted footpaths (be it narrow width or because some plonker illegally parked) would force us along to our destination.

Whoever has the list are remaining tight-lipped but at least three traders are know. Tony Clarkes, O'Connells Butchers (Paul Craughan) and O'Connells Menswear (Mike O'Connell).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Mc Love wrote: »
    Whoever has the list are remaining tight-lipped but at least three traders are know. Tony Clarkes, O'Connells Butchers (Paul Craughan) and O'Connells Menswear (Mike O'Connell).

I for one won't be stepping foot inside these shops. These Businesses are operating in the wrong decade. They need to cop on and move on with the times.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I for one won't be stepping foot inside these shops. These Businesses are operating in the wrong decade. They need to cop on and move on with the times.

Tony Clarke's also own the City Centre Car Park on Anne St.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »

Christ, a cafe owner objecting to pedestrianisation and more space for outdoor tables away from traffic which would improve his business. Especially when with social distancing, there'll be practically nobody allowed into the cafe. Unbelievably stupid. The phrase shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind.

Its funny how all the businesses that have publicly displayed their issues with it are on pedestrian friendly streets. I know this isnt AH but conspiracy theory here, maybe they dont want the rest of the city to take business away from them??

Open letter just posted on Canteens instagram, lists a number of businesses in favour of the pedestrian plan.

Rift, commercial, fine wines, mother macs, treaty city, habit, eva, hunt museum, good few listed if anyone wants to read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Total joke won't be spending money in those stores

In the words of Captain Kirk and Spock the needs of the many outweigh...........

Have to be honest I wouldnt have shopped in any of them anyway and as for City Center car park, stopped using once they started to get greedy. Park in Summer St or down by the Clarion, much cheaper and only a 5-10 min walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Mods any chance we can get this out into its own thread.

It's a disgrace that this isn't even tried it could work and at this stage why not. Can't understand any cafe being against it more footfall more coffee surely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Open letter just posted on Canteens instagram, lists a number of businesses in favour of the pedestrian plan.

Rift, commercial, fine wines, mother macs, treaty city, habit, eva, hunt museum, good few listed if anyone wants to read

Was just coming to post the same, canteen have been pretty vocal about it

Also...what a great diverse list of business , great to see.

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »

It's a disgrace that this isn't even tried it could work and at this stage why not. Can't understand any cafe being against it more footfall more coffee surely

Sioda, I think you may have read the post below, wrong - as I did on first reading :

...unless I'm reading yours wrong...:D

Sioda, I think you may have read the post below, wrong - as I did on first reading :

...unless I'm reading yours wrong...:D

Theres an earlier post where the owner of a shop publicly denouncing the project was also the owner of another coffee shop.

Because the footfall they have might be more inclined to walk up to canteen etc. Imagine having a pint out on the street from the commercial. There's a lot to gain from new business but the little some businesses have they dont want to share with anyone else.

Not for me to talk about moving to another thread but this is related to Coronavirus in the city and the plans to revitalise the city for the next few months.

If you havent submitted any feedback, I'd recommend emailing ecdev@limerick.ie for your ideas - whether or not they'll listen is another story

Theres an earlier post where the owner of a shop publicly denouncing the project was also the owner of another coffee shop.

Sorry - I didn't spot that. Thanks ChewBereca

I'm all for the pedestrian plan just can't understand Melts opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'm all for the pedestrian plan just can't understand Melts opposition

Because they're based on Little Catherine St, they don't want other cafes getting pedestrianised streets and being able to put seats outside their premises.

Because they're based on Little Catherine St, they don't want other cafes getting pedestrianised streets and being able to put seats outside their premises.
    I didn't look at it that way tbh but surely in the long run a more attractive inner city will draw extra bodies and all will benefit.

I miss my pre work Carlton Latte ☹️

I didn't look at it that way tbh but surely in the long run a more attractive inner city will draw extra bodies and all will benefit.

I miss my pre work Carlton Latte ☹️

I swapped jobs but yes I'll miss my coffee from Jeannie in LaCucina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

As the OP for this coronavirus thread, I agree, this discussion now merits its own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As if teh city centre wasn't going to the ****ing dogs already, had the pleasure of four teenage scumbags driving their electric scooters IN CeX today, threatening customers as they went, and then a larger group of seven of them causing mayhem on the footpath and roads on William Street.

I must check the professions of the parents that they are all riding around on 500 euro scooters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement