Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Poorside wrote: »
    Fair play to all of you for giving out about people that are A. Doing their job, and B. Following guidelines to keep everyone safe.
    short

And rude, let's not forget that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

B&Q is a pain. Forcing you to take a trolly even when you don't need one. I was returning an item last week, explained I didn't need a trolly. I was told I need it while queuing for the checkout. I again explained that I was only returning an item. No budging. Wouldn't let me in without a trolly.

So I took it in the door to customer services, returned my item, left the trolly there and walked out. I also heard staff complaining about trollys abandoned all over the store. It's a ridiculous policy.

Woodies and Homebase for me until B&Q chill out a bit. No longer queues at those two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Poorside wrote:
    Fair play to all of you for giving out about people that are A. Doing their job, and B. Following guidelines to keep everyone safe. Was just in Dunnes Childers road and it was very busy, queue was very short, inside was busier than I've seen it in a long time.

Missing the point here I think.

Some people are doing their jobs very well but others are using the opportunity to feel important and as an excuse to be rude.

Pandemic or not customers pay their wages and are not to be treated as an inconvenience.

All the posters who commented were following guidelines maybe go read them again.

Arrival wrote: »
    Now that the guidelines are to wear masks in shops you'd hope that kind of thing won't be such a worry for the cashiers going forward, with customers wearing masks and the plastic screens they're fairly safe

They're guidelines, not rules. Practically nobody is wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

B&Q is a pain. Forcing you to take a trolly even when you don't need one. I was returning an item last week, explained I didn't need a trolly. I was told I need it while queuing for the checkout. I again explained that I was only returning an item. No budging. Wouldn't let me in without a trolly.

That rule is gone now trollies no longer mandatory

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    That rule is gone now trollies no longer mandatory

Excellent. Probably down to the amount being abandoned. It was a silly rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

kilburn wrote: »
    No different guy unless he used a sample of miracle grow on his head

Possibly, the lad I'm thinking of does security for them and the few times I've been in he's been sitting at the front door. But thought it might have been him as the lad has a serious attitude problem and no people skills. He's either gonna end up costing B&Q money the way he treats some people or someone's gonna crack him one across the jaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

They're guidelines, not rules. Practically nobody is wearing masks.

The 2m distancing, social distancing, hand hygiene etc are all just guidelines as well, but all brought in for a reason and people adhered to them, people should be adhering to mask wearing in the same way as they actually allow us to get somewhat back to carrying on life while also slowing the spread, which was the reason we all respected the lockdown

The 2m distancing, social distancing, hand hygiene etc are all just guidelines as well, but all brought in for a reason and people adhered to them, people should be adhering to mask wearing in the same way as they actually allow us to get somewhat back to carrying on life while also slowing the spread, which was the reason we all respected the lockdown

I'm not the one you need to be lecturing. You need to direct that to the vast majority of the Limerick public.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I'd much prefer someone barking orders than leaving it up to the public themselves. I was in Homebase last week, and they could have done with a mini-Hitler at the tills, nobody paying attention to the distancing even though it's marked out. We can't trust the public, because half the public think Covid is gone. Much rather a rude queue management staff member than a bollix that thinks it's gone up your hole in the queue.

I've also stopped going to Dunnes on the Childers Road, while the man at the door is doing his best, they're leaving in too many and people are gone back to treating it as a social trip instead of getting what you want and getting out.

• Advertisement

Customers shouldn't be afraid of barking at other customers who just won't adhere to the guidelines either. Have seen it happen a few times already and had to resort to it myself the morning the construction crowd started back. That lad really wanted his breakfast roll so much he nearly climbed over me and into the deli counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Masks, properly effective types, are scarce and expensive to buy. At the outset of this the government should have obtained sufficient supplies of these for the entire population, free of charge. Other European countries have done this and the benefits have been obvious. Ireland should be at zero transmission rate and have exited restriction phases weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I for one find it hard to breath in those masks so I can't wear one , not an excuse a fact , but I only go in somewhere when I really have to and I'm in and out in rapid quick time

chicorytip wrote: »
    Masks, properly effective types, are scarce and expensive to buy. At the outset of this the government should have obtained sufficient supplies of these for the entire population, free of charge. Other European countries have done this and the benefits have been obvious. Ireland should be at zero transmission rate and have exited restriction phases weeks ago.

Completely agree, there was even a manufacturer already making them here but Spain and France managed to secure order contracts with them before we did ourselves. Hopeless cases
    I for one find it hard to breath in those masks so I can't wear one , not an excuse a fact , but I only go in somewhere when I really have to and I'm in and out in rapid quick time

I'd agree with this if talking about the respirator/filtered masks, but wearing one of the disposable surgical masks really doesn't impede breathing much at all, and you'd only have to wear it for the 15-20 mins inside the shop. Doesn't matter how quickly we can go in and out of a place, without a mask on we can't catch our droplets when we cough and sneeze as effectively as a direct barrier over our faces, and you wouldn't know who'd be nearby when you cough or sneeze, or who'd pass by shortly after. Some poor auld one or someone immunocompromised who had no choice but to go in could potentially catch it from that then. We have to do this on the off chance we happen to have the virus and be infectious without realising yet for the health of others

First few times wearing them are a bit uncomfortable, but like anything you get used to them

Completely agree, there was even a manufacturer already making them here but Spain and France managed to secure order contracts with them before we did ourselves. Hopeless cases

I'd agree with this if talking about the respirator/filtered masks, but wearing one of the disposable surgical masks really doesn't impede breathing much at all, and you'd only have to wear it for the 15-20 mins inside the shop. Doesn't matter how quickly we can go in and out of a place, without a mask on we can't catch our droplets when we cough and sneeze as effectively as a direct barrier over our faces, and you wouldn't know who'd be nearby when you cough or sneeze, or who'd pass by shortly after. Some poor auld one or someone immunocompromised who had no choice but to go in could potentially catch it from that then. We have to do this on the off chance we happen to have the virus and be infectious without realising yet for the health of others

First few times wearing them are a bit uncomfortable, but like anything you get used to them

I hate wearing the masks. Absolutely hate it. I wear glasses most of the time so makes it even worse. Could probably do with a pair of these. I even got training in work on how to fit/wear a mask but I still can't get used to it! I still wear them anyway when needed. Proper first world problems!! :pac:

You shouldn't be wearing an N95 surgical mask. They should be reserved for the people they're designed for, medical staff. Either make some cloth masks (the instructions are everywhere) or purchase some online.

You shouldn't be wearing an N95 surgical mask. They should be reserved for the people they're designed for, medical staff. Either make some cloth masks (the instructions are everywhere) or purchase some online.

I don't wear them, I literally just mentioned them as an example of a type of mask that actually are difficult to breathe through, most of my post was about the surgical ones

I hate wearing the masks. Absolutely hate it. I wear glasses most of the time so makes it even worse. Could probably do with a pair of these. I even got training in work on how to fit/wear a mask but I still can't get used to it! I still wear them anyway when needed. Proper first world problems!! :pac:

As mothers know best, I had to go to town today and she made masks (dressmaker by trade), but when trying it on my glasses fogged up immediately. Mother say rub washing up liquid onto the glass with your fingers (a small bit) and wipe with a bit of kitchen roll (don't use water). Stopped them fogging up!

And on the point of going to town today, it was crazy busy. Traffic on the Dublin Road in was as bad as it ever was. Took about 20 minutes to get from the Parkway to Arthurs Qy. Got parked and had to get a new phone for the father, people everywhere. VF shop don't stock the simple phones any more, so down to Carphonewarhouse. Arthurs Quay is covered with stickers on the ground showing which side to walk on. At least half the people didn't care (or worse, are too fuking stupid to follow arrows). I reckon I saw about 20 people in total wearing masks. Even less with gloves. Carphonewarehouse have the right set up, 2 at the desk and 1 waiting position, woman at the door stopping others from coming in.

Queue for Teso was snaking around and across the centre of the place, so you've to go through the queue to go upstairs or to anywhere down by Tesco. Gatherings of people just stopped on footpaths and in shopping centres, blocking the way have a great aul chat for themselves. Boojum have half the footpath taken up with their queue, which also happens to be a narrow enough footpath and right at a pedestrian crossing.

Went to the Parkway because I'm done with Childers Road Dunnes. Small enough queue, well maintained, and not extremely busy inside but busier than it has been for the last couple of months. People also stopped in the middle of the place having conversations, while both sides are taken up with spaces for queuing, so you basically have to walk through these idiots.

I hope I'm wrong, but with what I saw today, I think a second wave is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I don't wear them, I literally just mentioned them as an example of a type of mask that actually are difficult to breathe through, most of my post was about the surgical ones

Bought some Adidas masks, only €13 for 3, great fit and much better for a glasses wearer than any of the other ones I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Poorside wrote: »
    Bought some Adidas masks, only €13 for 3, great fit and much better for a glasses wearer than any of the other ones I've tried.

Where did you buy the adidas masks?

• Advertisement

I hope I'm wrong, but with what I saw today, I think a second wave is inevitable.

Professor Sam McConkey today.
    “Even the small number of cases, the 10 or 15 cases a day that we’re seeing, most of those are known contacts of clusters and households and workplaces.
    “Whether it’s nursing home or hospital or meat factory, where there’s already known to be cases.
    “So the risk of just someone in the street in the community unexpectedly showing up with it is around the one in a million per day, which is great.”
    Follow the protocols, but Jesus people relax. The odds of catching this are miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

It was like Christmas week. Never seen it so busy. Social distancing in queues no where to be seen families of five or more it was crazy.

Where did you buy the adidas masks?

They're onsale here, but they're sold out. Actually the black ones are sold out, but the blue ones are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can buy theme here too a little cheaper if you don't want a company logo on your face:

https://www.iclothing.com/3d-washable-face-mask-3-pack

...but Jesus people relax. The odds of catching this are miniscule.

Minuscule is not non-existent. All it takes is that minuscule chance and both my parents will get it, and will die. I'll relax when there's a vaccine thanks. I'm going to be second guessing every cough until then.

Minuscule is not non-existent. All it takes is that minuscule chance and both my parents will get it, and will die. I'll relax when there's a vaccine thanks. I'm going to be second guessing every cough until then.

Yes 90% of the people who've died are over 65. However 70% of over 85s, 75% of 75-80 year olds and 87% of 65-74 year olds who caught Covid didn't die. Your parents possibly catching Covid does NOT mean that they'll die.

If you're going to live your life in fear of a 1 in a million chance, then you're not living at all.

Yes 90% of the people who've died are over 65. However 70% of over 85s, 75% of 75-80 year olds and 87% of 65-74 year olds who caught Covid didn't die. Your parents possibly catching Covid does NOT mean that they'll die.

If you're going to live your life in fear of a 1 in a million chance, then you're not living at all.

I'm not living in fear (yet), I'm pointing out my side of things. Both my parents have breathing conditions, both have basically been told that they will die if they get it (my father definitely, he has emphysema). Your percentages don't show a definite no, people have and will still die because they will be part of the unlucky percentage.

If it wasn't still an issue, why haven't we gotten rid of everything at this stage? Why was there a big speech yesterday about ensuring we keep it up, to keep to social distancing (not happening), to wear masks (not happening), to have the cop on to not go somewhere if it's too crowded (not happening, and I would have left but the fathers phone was broke yesterday and he needed a new one).

"Taoiseach Leo Varadkar stressed the public must now take “personal responsibility” as the State-imposed restrictions were lifted.

“This means not entering a place if you see it is packed. It means leaving somewhere, even if you are having a good time, if you have been there for too long. It means exercising judgment and self-control for your own sake, but also for the collective good”."

That's not happening. This phase is failing because of 1 gaping problem; "exercising judgment and self-control". People don't if it means they don't get what they want.

Look, you do you, I'll do me. I personally think people are no longer paying attention to HSE guidelines and it will lead to a second wave. The chances are small, but people are not giving that small chance enough credit. Remember, it most likely all started with 1 person in an town of 11.08 million, and within a few months nearly every developed country got shut down. A minuscule chance is still a chance. I'm not trying to scaremonger, but it's obvious to anyone with eyes that people no longer care. We're 8th out of 31 in the EU in deaths per 100,000.

It may well have started with 1 person in a city of 11m, but when it started it was unknown. It had spread around the world before anyone knew it existed. The Italians and French have evidence of it being in their countries in December. Even Leo Varadker admitted it may have been in Ireland back then too. There was no stopping it.

Now however it's different. We know what it is and we have procedures to stop it spreading again. When we find a new case, we track and trace and people self isolate.

You may have seen people not following the protocols, but that doesn't mean that most people aren't following them. Frequency illusion means that you're more likely to notice the people not observing the protocols because that's what you're looking for. (I will admit few people are wearing masks though).

Oh and we can't be 8 out of 31 of the 27 EU States. But if you remove nursing/care home deaths and only count hospital deaths as everyone but us and Belgium are doing you'll find that we drop way down the list. Being honest about our figures is making us look way worse than we are.

It may well have started with 1 person in a city of 11m, but when it started it was unknown. It had spread around the world before anyone knew it existed. The Italians and French have evidence of it being in their countries in December. Even Leo Varadker admitted it may have been in Ireland back then too. There was no stopping it.

Now however it's different. We know what it is and we have procedures to stop it spreading again. When we find a new case, we track and trace and people self isolate.

That's the part I don't trust.
    You may have seen people not following the protocols, but that doesn't mean that most people aren't following them. Frequency illusion means that you're more likely to notice the people not observing the protocols because that's what you're looking for. (I will admit few people are wearing masks though).

No, there's no 'may', I saw it, as it was everywhere in the city today. Most people may be staying at home and following the guidelines, but town was extremely busy and most were not or couldn't follow the guidelines because of that crowd. I don't need to look for it, it was in front of my eyes for the 20 minutes I spent in the city centre, and the 10 mintes in Dunnes.
    Oh and we can't be 8 out of 31 of the 27 EU States. But if you remove nursing/care home deaths and only count hospital deaths as everyone but us and Belgium are doing you'll find that we drop way down the list. Being honest about our figures is making us look way worse than we are.

Apologies, it's the EEA and UK: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

And god forbid we be honest. I'm going on the above stats. Why should we remove nursing/care home deaths if they're covid related? Look, I don't want to get into this, I've said my bit. I won't change my mind. Everyone is dealing with this differently, it's not right to be telling people they're over-reacting. There's no guarantee yet, I know my situation and I'll continue to do what I believe needs to be done. I was just pointing out that the crowd in the city today were not following recommendations or guidelines and in my own opinion I can see a second wave. That's all.

• Advertisement

Apologies, it's the EEA and UK: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

And god forbid we be honest. I'm going on the above stats. Why should we remove nursing/care home deaths if they're covid related?

The point is that using those stats is comparing apples with oranges. Only Ireland and Belgium are reporting non hospital deaths in their official figures, which means that you need to double the figures reported in every other country to get a realistic figure. The reality is that Ireland is nowhere near the top of that league and have performed outstandingly.

It obvious you won't change your mind, put I do feel that you are unnecessarily worrying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement