Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

snowcat wrote: »
    What are UL doing? Students are just on campus for 3 weeks over the term. Madness.

Is one of those weeks Rag Week too? Good job the pubs will be open :eek:.
    They will travel from all over the country.......possibly bringing virus with them. They will party like mad for the week and then ................distributing the virus through the country to the most vulnerable

You should cocoon, like me. I'm not going outside again until 2023, at least :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

What are UL doing? Students are just on campus for 3 weeks over the term. Madness. They will travel from all over the country because it is not worth staying in Limerick for the whole term possibly bringing virus with them. They will party like mad for the week and then go back home to their elderly parents distributing the virus through the country to the most vulnerable.

Highly doubt it, many students will be within the hour commute (Limerick county, Tipp, Clare, Kerry, Cork, M7) so will just drive in each day or get a combination of bus/train.

The numbers staying in Limerick during the weeks on campus will be very slim and many will also be using family members spare rooms/digs so won't be able to "party" as hard as normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Highly doubt it, many students will be within the hour commute (Limerick county, Tipp, Clare, Kerry, Cork, M7) so will just drive in each day or get a combination of bus/train.

The numbers staying in Limerick during the weeks on campus will be very slim and many will also be using family members spare rooms/digs so won't be able to "party" as hard as normal.

College Court Elm Park is rocking all summer with parties

• Registered Users Posts: 25,961 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

bigpink wrote: »

So are most parts of Limerick that don't have students. I see plenty of rule breaking going on from all age and social groups

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamieon

Out of interest, what's the charge for a test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

jamieon wrote: »
    Out of interest, what's the charge for a test?

There is no fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

That's not students, that kis from castletroy troy/monaleen who's parents rented them houses in Elm Park for the summer. Mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You cannot postpone youth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Amazing the amount of people who still won't wear a mask in shops

SNNUS wrote: »
    You cannot postpone youth

You can crack down on it though.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »

Shops shouldn't be serving them. Would solve the problem instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭joeguevara

My parents have moved to Limerick city for family reasons. I brought belongings from mine to them. Got a haircut on Saturday in crescent shopping centre. Very strict. Walking out the queue for zumo juice was crazy and no social distancing. Next door house woke me up Saturday night with a huge party. Today needed to get stuff for my mum in home store and more in ballysimon. Quite good with queue. At 12 there was a queue of about 100 for Harvey Norman. All masks but jaysus I was shocked at how many people were going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You can crack down on it though.

Ha good luck with that

kilburn wrote: »

Having worked in pubs and seen 60yo men peer pressure each other and slagging fellas of for being gay if they ordered something unusual like Erdinger or god help us all a gin & tonic I'm in no way suprised to hear that adults are too hard or cool for masks.

Had an auld lad on the bus a few weeks back acting cool on front of his friends making a big song and dance putting on his mask

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Having worked in pubs and seen 60yo men peer pressure each other and slagging fellas of for being gay if they ordered something unusual like Erdinger or god help us all a gin & tonic I'm in no way suprised to hear that adults are too hard or cool for masks.

Had an auld lad on the bus a few weeks back acting cool on front of his friends making a big song and dance putting on his mask

I know the type. Old school "cool dudes", "hard men", smokers etc. Plenty of them in the graveyard well before time...

Granadino wrote: »
    I know the type. Old school "cool dudes", "hard men", smokers etc. Plenty of them in the graveyard well before time...

Im not working in hospitality any more but I hear from plenty of guys who say that these same auld fellas are still refusing not to sit at the bar cause tables much like the 1/2 pint of beer are for women

Shops shouldn't be serving them. Would solve the problem instantly.

What if some are genuinely unable to wear a face mask, due to genuine illness?
    Say an elderly widow, who lives alone. Should she be denied a bottle of milk from her local corner shop, she has frequented for decades?

Sure, the vast majority not wearing masks in shops are dingbats, but spare a thought for those with hidden disabilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Kramer wrote: »
    Say an elderly widow, who lives alone. Should she be denied a bottle of milk from her local corner shop, she has frequented for decades?

Sure, the vast majority not wearing masks in shops are dingbats, but spare a thought for those with hidden disabilities etc.

they should be cocooning in that case

Then carry proof of why, if they should be out at all.

they should be cocooning in that case

That's it, lock 'em up! :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

No not lock them up, there's no need to be dramatic. If they have a medical condition stopping them wearing a mask then the first question they need to ask themselves is if they should be out in public at all.

Then carry proof of why, if they should be out at all.

Wow, the empathy here is astounding :eek:.

They shouldn't be out! No milk for you :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

oh you're one of those. right.

If they have a medical condition stopping them wearing a mask then the first question they need to ask themselves is if they should be out in public at all.

A victim of a traumatic assault, where they were held down & had a hand placed over their mouth, to stop them from calling for help, might have an issue with a face mask. There are many hidden reasons some could have genuine issues.

Should they have to explain to an 18 year old shop assistant how the assault still remains with them?

AFAIK, doctors have been instructed to not issue letters of exemption too.

I'm not advocating for hoards of scumbags cavorting through shopping centres, but spare a thought for those being ostracised unfairly. Genuine cases do exist.

oh you're one of those. right.

And there it goes - starting with the labels - one of those :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Im not working in hospitality any more but I hear from plenty of guys who say that these same auld fellas are still refusing not to sit at the bar cause tables much like the 1/2 pint of beer are for women

Well they should really be in the lounge with their glass rather than the bar.

:D

Well they should really be in the lounge with their glass rather than the bar.

:D

Lounge? thats some fancy pub the ladies in your town go to. Its a snug the size of a toilet cubicle for the women in most parts

A victim of a traumatic assault, where they were held down & had a hand placed over their mouth, to stop them from calling for help, might have an issue with a face mask. There are many hidden reasons some could have genuine issues.

Should they have to explain to an 18 year old shop assistant how the assault still remains with them?

AFAIK, doctors have been instructed to not issue letters of exemption too.

I'm not advocating for hoards of scumbags cavorting through shopping centres, but spare a thought for those being ostracised unfairly. Genuine cases do exist.

I dont see why doctors cant give a cert saying that someone doesnt need a mask. It doesnt need to say why or give details but if I worked with someone who claims they cant wear one Ide like to be sure they are not talking BS

I dont see why doctors cant give a cert saying that someone doesnt need a mask. It doesnt need to say why or give details but if I worked with someone who claims they cant wear one Ide like to be sure they are not talking BS

There's no easy solution & I'd also be wary if I had to work beside someone all day without a mask too.

1. A gang of yobs marauding through the Crescent on bikes = likely no genuine reason.
    2. A gang of youths, waving flags & roaring about their constitutional rights = likely no genuine reason.
    3. Jacinta & her brats, barging through queues, spouting expletives = likely no genuine reason.

Thankfully, they are not 100% of the populace though. I'd be very upset if a genuine or disabled person was picked on or kicked out of a shop, wrongly.

There's a reason there's an exemption in law.

I've witnessed 1 & 3 above BTW, no doubt we'll have 2 here some day too :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Some right lads in this thread

I work in a shop it's not my job to police if people wear masks or not , sure i can suggest it but if they say no it's a breach of GDPR to ask why

also I have an underlying condition should I be locked up inside for another how ever long this takes to go away .....like wow I wear a mask and work behind plexiglass and do all the precautions .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement